April 16, 2024, 04:01:41 PM

News:

Advance Unit

Started by crock, September 16, 2019, 04:07:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

crock

Well it's time for a new one and was wanting feed back on whether or not there was a nickles worth of difference in them. I see stainless and heat treated and needle bearing and NO I don't want to go electronic. So lets hear from you guys
Crock

Ohio HD

I've been out of the oldie but goodie bikes for along time. But the last decent advance unit I remember was a stainless unit that Rivera  Engineering sold. I guess you'll have to call them and see if their still selling these, or anything these days.

guppymech

September 16, 2019, 08:21:30 AM #2 Last Edit: September 16, 2019, 10:02:58 AM by guppymech
I run a NOS H-D advance unit I found on ebay, one of the later ones for the Prestolite V-Fire 1 ignition I fitted with a points cam.  If that ever wears out I like the looks of the one sold by American Prime Mfg, it's made in USA.   
https://americanprimemfginc.com/product/1104-0001-comp-master-advance-unit/

*Edit* Here's a pic of the later H-D one I was talking about.  It's teflon coated and has solid pins to stop the weights instead of roll pins.  Jan Willem Boon has one but unfortunately he won't ship to the U.S. The standard cam for points ignition fits it and works fine.

'84 FXE, '02 883R

a_disalvo

Bought a Rivera SS unit, once and done. Frank

Hillside Motorcycle

The s/s units are the ones we use/stock.
Otto Knowbetter sez, "Even a fish wouldn't get caught if he kept his mouth shut"

Burnout

I have hand started an Ironhead with electronic ignition! Yes i have witnesses.

I would not attempt this with points....

:potstir:
They don't call me Ironhead Rick just because I'm "hard headed"

Buglet

I used to start my 72 with points by hand with no problem.

crock

Quote from: Burnout on September 17, 2019, 09:03:29 AM
I have hand started an Ironhead with electronic ignition! Yes i have witnesses.

I would not attempt this with points....

:potstir:

I won't argue weather Points or electronic is better but I have never been STRANDED ( not broke down) by points. And yes I have with electronic AND have see others. So for me it's points. And yes I carry a set of points and condenser($20 maybe) but can't afford a spare electronic unit
Crock

76shuvlinoff

I installed a DynaTek 2000i over 30,000 miles ago, no issues yet.  I had a Rivera needle bearing unit before that, no issues. I carried that for years as a backup, Not sure where it is now.  :scratch:
Critics are men who watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors.
 - Ernest Hemingway

Hillside Motorcycle

Used to hand start my ex's 80" Low Rider, with electronic.
Otto Knowbetter sez, "Even a fish wouldn't get caught if he kept his mouth shut"