April 19, 2024, 09:53:29 PM

News:

How many miles is everbody getting on vrod belts?

Started by garyb, April 03, 2014, 05:09:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

garyb

I am asking for a friend he has a 04 vrod with 30,000 miles, and is curious if the belt should be changed at a certain mileage. He has been told the belt should go to 50,000 . Thank you in advance..

rbabos

Quote from: garyb on April 03, 2014, 05:09:00 PM
I am asking for a friend he has a 04 vrod with 30,000 miles, and is curious if the belt should be changed at a certain mileage. He has been told the belt should go to 50,000 . Thank you in advance..
If the belt is adjusted correctly and has no rock damage no reason to change it out. 100k is not out of the question, even more. Vrods have way smoother power delivery then the big twins and belts don't take a beating as in the case of a lower rpm high torque situations the big twins can expose the belt to.
Ron

harborjohn

I have 30k on mine and I don't plan on changing it any time soon.

Deye76

Ran into a friend  from Mich. yesterday, he does a lot of touring on his VRod, 106,000 miles on the bike. Oil, brakes & tires is all he's done to it. Belt still looks good (I did look at it). I asked him about periodic valve adjustment, he says everyone he's spoke with claims more noise after adjustment, so he's left them alone for the whole time. 
East Tenn.<br /> 2020 Lowrider S Touring, 2014 CVO RK,  1992 FXRP

strokerjlk

still the stock belt on this one. launched it at 9300 for 2 seasons  ,went through two motors and several clutches . but the stock belt has held up fine.
they are pretty gutless in low rpm's = no stress .
in street applications ,I would run it as long as I could get by with

A scientific theory summarizes a hypothesis
repeated testing establishes theory

dirty jim

TELL YOUR FRIEND IT'S AN OVERHEAD CAM MOTOR, THEY MAKE LESS NOISE AS THEY WEAR. GET THEM CHECKED...SOON!

Deye76

East Tenn.<br /> 2020 Lowrider S Touring, 2014 CVO RK,  1992 FXRP

Durwood

Quote from: strokerjlk on August 03, 2014, 06:48:13 AM
still the stock belt on this one. launched it at 9300 for 2 seasons  ,went through two motors and several clutches . but the stock belt has held up fine.
they are pretty gutless in low rpm's = no stress .
in street applications ,I would run it as long as I could get by with

Jim, Darrell looks like he's in a hurry, someone must have told him the chicken was ready...

strokerjlk

QuoteJim, Darrell looks like he's in a hurry, someone must have told him the chicken was ready...
or it was time for shithouse karaoke ... :smiled:
A scientific theory summarizes a hypothesis
repeated testing establishes theory

cyberfish2

Quote from: garyb on April 03, 2014, 05:09:00 PM
I have 30K on my '05. and no plans to change out the belt. I've had to tighten it whenever I changed tires, but it still looks fine and runs great.