March 28, 2024, 12:55:31 PM

News:

2002 vrod needs new motor what years will work

Started by Just Nick, November 02, 2016, 03:02:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Just Nick

November 02, 2016, 03:02:17 PM Last Edit: November 02, 2016, 03:20:32 PM by Just Nick
I have a customer that has a 02 vrod with 70k on it and it is having shifting issues that will require going into the trans he wants to just find a new motor to install in it what years can he use to swap it over ? I will look at the maps from TTS to see what cals will be available for it but what other issues would arise
I'm never wrong , once I thought I was wrong , but I was wrong

rbabos

Quote from: Just Nick on November 02, 2016, 03:02:17 PM
I have a customer that has a 02 vrod with 70k on it and it is having shifting issues that will require going into the trans he wants to just find a new motor to install in it what years can he use to swap it over ? I will look at the maps from TTS to see what cals will be available for it but what other issues would arise
You know you can get to the trans by pulling the lower half of engine and not disturb the crank, pistions and such. Engine needs to be pulled and turned upside down. There was a shift fork retrofit upgrade and a shift shaft actuator upgrade after that year, November and December of 04. If you want to swap the engine out, I believe all will fit, even the 1250. Only difference I know off hand is the oil cooler line went from AN or JIC taper fit to the current quick disconnect versions. It's only a minor fitting change at the engine. The 02 has cam operated compression releases and a lower crank amp battery. At some point they dropped the releases in favor of a bigger battery as in the case of the 1250s. Not sure if any 1130s were like that prior. I'd have to research that one.
So, basically look for an engine 05 and up as it will have the upgrades to trans. A couple of engine cooler line fitting swaps. Note compression releases or not and determine battery needed. No release is a 300cca. Positive terminal was moved from right to left also. Hope this helps some.
As for tune, well it has no O2 sensors that year so choose the closest TTS cal and sniff it.
Ron

00se

I think somewhere along the line the rear motor mount was changed.

rbabos

November 13, 2016, 07:15:04 AM #3 Last Edit: November 13, 2016, 08:18:40 AM by rbabos
Quote from: 00se on November 12, 2016, 09:52:36 PM
I think somewhere along the line the rear motor mount was changed.
Mount is part of a frame revision where they went from narrow to wide frame, as in wide tire crap. I think the engine block where the shaft goes through remained the same with the exception of some spacer deal or sleeve in the case hole. I will look deeper into that and post what I can find.
Ron

rbabos

This is what my expert says and a follow up to the OP question.
Using 2005 and newer engines in pre-2005 frames has been done before. The only case attachment changes that were made occurred in 2004/2005 time frame. These changes were the way the front stabilizer link attaches to the lower engine case (engine case attachment boss was strengthened and moved so the stabilizer link and spacer were changed) and the deletion of the bushes (P/N 25735-01K) in the swingarm pivot hole. (The parts catalogs erroneously still shows these bushes up through 2006).
Some say (e.g., BAD V-R, see this post for more info) that these bushes change the spacer dimensions for the swingarm pivot but I'm using a 2005 swingarm with all the updated spacers with my 2002 engine that has the bushes installed so I'm not sure what the dimension changes are.

There were some other engine case / cylinder head changes like the elimination of the access hole and threads for the crankshaft locking pin in 2011, and the use of different exhaust stud locations and moving the oil dipstick to the clutch cover for the VRSCF in 2009, but these didn't affect the engine mounts.
Ron