April 19, 2024, 01:33:00 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Sportster

Started by jsachs1, January 10, 2018, 03:34:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jsachs1

My '86 Snortster I built in '89. 1200 cc.
Set 2 Dragbike Natl. records, made the cover of Thunder Alley magazine Jan. 1995, and a few other magazines and softcover books.
I raked the frame, built a 4" over swing arm with air in crossmember for the air shifter. Used a PM rear wheel with a 160 X 18" rear tire. I made an offset front sprocket, to keep chain alignment in check. Akront 18" narrow front rim and small tire. I painted the body parts my traditional orange pearl, and had it lettered in gold leaf.

Ohio HD

January 10, 2018, 04:15:47 PM #1 Last Edit: January 10, 2018, 05:19:32 PM by Ohio HD
I like it John, I always thought Sportys looked fast just sitting there. I've only owned one in my life, a 1974 XLCH. AT 6' 6" tall when I was younger (I've shrunk), my knees were in my arm pits riding one.

Hossamania

Can I ride it? Please? Pretty please?
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

72fl

Now that there is a looker and a performer  :up:

Pete_Vit

Quote from: Hossamania on January 10, 2018, 05:15:03 PM
Can I ride it? Please? Pretty please?
no me first ....DIBS   :SM: :up:
nice scoot
93 XLH1200 - 96 FXSTS - 2010 Ultra Glide Classic
www.facebook.com/harleypartsch

Panzer

DIBS???  Man I haven't here that term in a long long time DIBS.......  :hyst: :emoGroan:
Everyone wants to change the world but, no one wants to change the toilet paper.

Don D

Pete_Vit

Quote from: Panzer on January 11, 2018, 03:56:54 PM
DIBS???  Man I haven't here that term in a long long time DIBS.......  :hyst: :emoGroan:
:SM:
93 XLH1200 - 96 FXSTS - 2010 Ultra Glide Classic
www.facebook.com/harleypartsch

jsachs1

I couldn't stand the MoCo seat, so I had 1 made up.
John

XRMark

Very nice. That's how Sportsters should be. I still have that magazine. Wish they still published it.

guppymech

Quote from: jsachs1 on January 10, 2018, 03:34:46 PM
Set 2 Dragbike Natl. records, made the cover of Thunder Alley magazine Jan. 1995, and a few other magazines and softcover books.
I raked the frame, built a 4" over swing arm with air in crossmember for the air shifter. Used a PM rear wheel with a 160 X 18" rear tire. I made an offset front sprocket, to keep chain alignment in check. Akront 18" narrow front rim and small tire. I painted the body parts my traditional orange pearl, and had it lettered in gold leaf.
Maybe I missed it but what did you run in the 1/4?
'84 FXE, '02 883R

jsachs1

Eleven 0's at 124. As pictured.
When I sold it the buyer had me build a wheelie bar for him. He's been in the 10.60 range. That was back in 1996. He still owns the bike.
John

guppymech

Quote from: jsachs1 on January 13, 2018, 05:37:24 PM
When I sold it the buyer had me build a wheelie bar for him. He's been in the 10.60 range. That was back in 1996. He still owns the bike.
John
Nice!!
'84 FXE, '02 883R

Carl 1969

That is very cool. A proper Sportster, IMO. Makes me really miss my old '94. Mine was a good bit milder, only doing 12.90 at 105 at a test & tune night at Rockingham, but still a whole lot of fun.

Makes me want another Sporty to hoon around on again.
Lieber stehend sterben, als kniend leben
Sergeant First Class, US Army, Retired

Vic Chichester

John

John you may get even more responses if you post a picture of the back of that bike so more people can recognize it.  :wink:

That sure brings back memories, thanks for the post.
Vic 

jsachs1

Quote from: Vic Chichester on April 02, 2018, 09:17:13 AM
John

John you may get even more responses if you post a picture of the back of that bike so more people can recognize it.  :wink:

That sure brings back memories, thanks for the post.
Vic
:up: Thanks, Vic.
I built a customer a clone to it in 1992. It made American Iron Magazine in 1999. Quoted " This bike is far ahead of its time."
John

J.Kinkade

Very nice John!!
11.0 @ 124mph tell's me its making 10 second power!!
what was your 60 ft times?
also how many cubic inch? & what carb?

I'm in Australia been drag racing street Harley's off and on for years had a kick start shovel late 70's stock frame no wheelie bar, foot shift ratchet lid 4 speed 98 inch stock shovel heads done by my friend Cow, ran 11.7  114mph ( that shovel still going )
then had 2001 dyna tc88 (95) stock frame foot shift I road it sometimes 600miles to the track then road it home. I was tuning 11.28  best speed was 121mph but the times and speed would change with track or weather ( 60ft times too ) that bike still going
got an old carb Buell cyclone, but have not raced that.
then last year got a 2003 XLH1200 I bought it off a lady who lives up Far North Queensland, flew up, road it home to New South Wales ( good ride!! )
then as the stock 1200 carb ( low miles ) no go, I picked up Axtell cast iron 88" barrels flat top pistons, also got new 2017 heads, getting my friend to resize cases, check flywheels go through gear box. I'm thinking set up at 10.0:1 RS 630/585 as I like strong torque.
I have a Bobby Wood Rebel 43.5 & Hammer Sledge 3" air cleaner ( cycle shack tampered end one piece duels ( old man ) plan is bulk Torque & make HP & TQ as quick as I can only want to rev to 6,000, I know you are good with heads!! I'm thinking use stock size valves just better quality and set up for the lift. what do you think? ( when I dyno it, we will time how quick it makes HP & TQ I'll take the tune that makes HP & TQ the quickest so not shooting for all out HP )
sorry for long post you could pm me if like.

jsachs1

Quote from: J.Kinkade on April 27, 2018, 04:47:31 PM
I ran mainly Miami- Hollywood Drag strip, and Palm Beach Raceway. They didn't have 60 foot timers then. .030" over 1200cc engine, Andrews PV cams, my heads, Mikuni carb, 4- speed trans., Kawasaki clutch parts, home built air shifter.
John

Very nice John!!
11.0 @ 124mph tell's me its making 10 second power!!
what was your 60 ft times?
also how many cubic inch? & what carb?

I'm in Australia been drag racing street Harley's off and on for years had a kick start shovel late 70's stock frame no wheelie bar, foot shift ratchet lid 4 speed 98 inch stock shovel heads done by my friend Cow, ran 11.7  114mph ( that shovel still going )
then had 2001 dyna tc88 (95) stock frame foot shift I road it sometimes 600miles to the track then road it home. I was tuning 11.28  best speed was 121mph but the times and speed would change with track or weather ( 60ft times too ) that bike still going
got an old carb Buell cyclone, but have not raced that.
then last year got a 2003 XLH1200 I bought it off a lady who lives up Far North Queensland, flew up, road it home to New South Wales ( good ride!! )
then as the stock 1200 carb ( low miles ) no go, I picked up Axtell cast iron 88" barrels flat top pistons, also got new 2017 heads, getting my friend to resize cases, check flywheels go through gear box. I'm thinking set up at 10.0:1 RS 630/585 as I like strong torque.
I have a Bobby Wood Rebel 43.5 & Hammer Sledge 3" air cleaner ( cycle shack tampered end one piece duels ( old man ) plan is bulk Torque & make HP & TQ as quick as I can only want to rev to 6,000, I know you are good with heads!! I'm thinking use stock size valves just better quality and set up for the lift. what do you think? ( when I dyno it, we will time how quick it makes HP & TQ I'll take the tune that makes HP & TQ the quickest so not shooting for all out HP )
sorry for long post you could pm me if like.

J.Kinkade

jsachs1, fantastic!!
I was around in those day's when there was no over the counter parts like now.
Kawasaki clutch, would have needed lot of time to set up. I bet you broke a lot of 4 speed gear box's!
I remember back in old day's in Australia. we raced on an old air strip, no traction , time slip was written down just ET & Trap Speed.
but no easier to race a motor bike at drag strip today, just you get more information to see where you can improve. but still hard thats why I love it!!
well done!!