April 26, 2024, 08:12:01 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

1990 883XLH Float Height

Started by SkinHD1, April 16, 2018, 01:44:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SkinHD1

Hello gents.  I'm gonna start my first post after a long hiatus with a question.  I'm working on a rarely ridden 1990 883XLH that had fuel dumping out of the overflow tube and air cleaner when not running and the petcock was in the on position.  I cleaned it and installed a rebuild kit but the problem continued.  I found the problem was the needle valve seat was filthy.  After I cleaned and polished the seat, the valve held fuel.  The problem is I'm not sure exactly how the float height should be set on this model.  I've read many conflicting measurements and procedures.  Some say take the measurement with the carb at a 15-20 angle, and some say take the measurement with it flat.  I like the idea of checking it with a clear hose on the drain line but have read conflicting info on that procedure as well...some say take it with the bike running and some say not.  Most of what I've read says the level in the hose should be even with the bowl gasket surface but I would like to hear any opinions on that.   So to make a short story long, my question(s) are:
1.  If I use the conventional method to set the float what is the correct float height for this model and should the measurement be taken flat or at a 15-20 degree angle?
2.  If I want to use the clear hose on the bowl drain method to measure float height should the bike be running or not, and exactly where in relation to the float bowl gasket surface should the fuel be in the clear hose?
I've read till my eyes are bleeding and haven't found definitive answers yet.  Any advice, info, or opinions will be much appreciated.  Thanks!

Panzer

Simply put.......turn the carb upside down, adjust the float till it's level to the carb body.
Replace float bowl.....done.
Everyone wants to change the world but, no one wants to change the toilet paper.

SkinHD1

Thanks for the reply, Panzer.  On this model, the float is the twin white, round plastic barrels on either side of the needle valve making it more difficult than the black one piece floats to adjust level to the carb body.  Any other suggestions or ideas?  Thanks, I appreciate any input.

SkinHD1

Panzer

I know what your saying about the duel float...........do the same.
Upside down, turn carb sideways, eyeball level and bend float tang if necessary to achieve level.
Trust me.
Everyone wants to change the world but, no one wants to change the toilet paper.

Julio

On the round float CVs, ('88-'90) the measurement is 0.725"-0.730 from the top of the float to the carb flange when upside down. Make sure you check the float for leakage. It's almost 30 years old and the plastic gets dry and cracks with the methanol used today.

SkinHD1

Thank you Panzer and Julio.. I appreciate the responses!

SkinHD1