March 28, 2024, 04:41:10 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Clutch plate removal

Started by Coyote, October 03, 2018, 04:50:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Coyote

I have a sporty in for new clutch plates. Have never done one before. Is there a way to compress the clutch spring to remove the load from the retaining clip without buying HDs tool to do it?

Ohio HD

Coyote

LOL, I was just looking to see if I had any bar stock.  :SM:   Thanks Brian.

Ohio HD

Made a similar contraption for an Evo clutch once too. Ok if you use them once or twice.

turboprop

Quote from: Coyote on October 03, 2018, 04:50:34 PM
I have a sporty in for new clutch plates. Have never done one before. Is there a way to compress the clutch spring to remove the load from the retaining clip without buying HDs tool to do it?

Piece of PVC pipe, metal bar, and a bolt. Easy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zQnlt8twX3k

'We' like this' - Said by the one man operation.

Coyote

Was not easy to get the clip out. Anyone see why?    :emoGroan:

[attach=0]

Coyote

turboprop

Because it is a horrible design. Same setup was used on evo big twins through '97. As someone that is really into FXRs, one of the first upgrades is to swap this contraption out for the '98 and up setup. Much better. Surprised harley has not updated the sportsters to a similar design.

Coyote

Bad design seems to be a common feeling. Although the owner of this bike failed to put stuff back together correctly which made getting it apart a bit of a challenge.
Also the loose rivets still in there from the original clutch probably didn't help.

Coyote

Can someone confirm the orientation for the spring support ring? The parts manual pic seems to indicate I should turn it over from the pic below. But that doesn't make sense to me.

[attach=0]

Ohio HD

Not from experience, but this is what they are showing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ymc61srK6Q8

[attach=0]

Coyote

So the inside lip is used to lock the retaining clip in place then.

Ohio HD

Panzer

How many miles and what year is that sporty?
Just curious.
Everyone wants to change the world but, no one wants to change the toilet paper.

turboprop

Quote from: Coyote on October 04, 2018, 04:46:34 PM
So the inside lip is used to lock the retaining clip in place then.

That inside lip faces towards the spring.

Coyote

I'm starting to dislike sportsters. I got the clutch pack changed and it seems to be fine. But now I can't get the clutch inspection cover to stop leaking. Yes I used a new quad ring. Any insight on this one guys?  :crook:

Panzer

Everyone wants to change the world but, no one wants to change the toilet paper.

rigidthumper

I use that blue goop that doesn't harden, but keeps the quad ring in place.
Hylomar and a new quad ring everytime.
Ignorance is bliss, and accuracy expensive. How much of either can you afford?

Coyote

Quote from: Panzer on October 04, 2018, 04:51:28 PM
How many miles and what year is that sporty?
Just curious.
2012 with 37k on the clock. Owner did the first replacement but he didn't get the basket cleaned out and I don't think he adjusted it right. Rode it a month or more slipping and toasted those plates. I cleaned out the crap from the stock clutch and installed an SE pack. The cover bolt hole locations were noticeably dimpled so that's why it won't seal. He has no money for a new one so I used a little silicon and it's sealed up for now.

Ended up making my spring tool a little different so I could use a smaller diameter pvc.

[attach=0]