April 18, 2024, 08:30:32 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

New member from Wisconsin

Started by SmokyOwl, January 26, 2019, 04:06:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SmokyOwl

January 26, 2019, 04:06:59 PM Last Edit: January 26, 2019, 05:55:28 PM by SmokyOwl
Hi I just bought my first Harley last week, it'll be my second motorcycle.  It's a 2006 Fatboy EFI with a little over 10,000 miles on it.  I've been doing massive amounts of research about the bike in the past few days and I've learned a lot so far and I hope to learn a lot more here.

Why did I join?  Well besides the nice company, I'm planning on doing a few mild modifications to the engine, likely next spring in 2020 or so when I've saved up enough cash to do so.  Not quite sure what changes I'll be making yet, but due to the mileage of the bike and what I've learned from researching I'm planning to center the build around a S&S gear driven camshaft of some kind.

So why do you care?  Who the heck am I?  Well I'm now 35, but I've only been riding for about 3 years so I'd still consider myself a novice with about 10,000 miles under me.  I don't like windshields, I wear a full-face helmet and gear, and I don't drink & ride.  I typically ride alone but sometimes I'll have a partner and on occasion I'll join a local rally ride.  I've been in one minor high-side accident that caused a small bone chip in my leg a little over a year ago.  I was able to pick up the bike and ride it home though by myself after a little roadside wrenchwork.  I'm no longer a fan of the combination of gravel and corners.

Being in quality control for a few years now, and my other bike being quite old, I'm big about preventative maintenance and avoiding being stranded in the middle of nowhere (which thankfully has yet to happen to me).  I'm competent with wrenching but unfortunately my busy work schedule and house work typically restricts that activity greatly. 

More about my bike; when I bought it I immediately purchased the HD 6-speed transmission gear set to be installed by the dealership.  I plan on using the bike greatly for highway and interstate use across state lines so that extra gear should help with mileage and engine wear.  The bike is about halfway chromed out with Harley components, and I plan on adding more chrome this spring along with auxiliary lights and replacing the speedo with a speedo+tach gauge.  I'm OK with chrome, a lot of people aren't these days but I guess I'm one of the holdouts.  When I saw the bike, it was definitely the shiniest bike on the used motorcycle floor lot.  After the sale a stranger asked me if it was a 2019 model- everything looks that new on it.  Whoever the last owner was, they spent more time cleaning the thing than riding it.  It also has Cartini handlebars, a shotgun Vance & Hines exhaust and a Screaming Eagle air intake (assuming stage 1) with a mapped out ECU, but I'm not sure if there's any other modifications done to the engine at this point.  It's currently in winter storage at the dealership until April sometime.
"Attack life.  It's going to kill you anyways." - Steve McQueen

Hossamania

Welcome to the site! Sounds like you scored a nice bike. I'm sure you are itching to ride it, but winter sucks in Wisconsin, so no ride any time soon, that's for sure.
When you're ready, we will help you spend your hard earned cash on that FatBoy...
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

Hossamania

I forgot to ask, which part of Wisconsin?

Leed

Welcome from Texas!  The Fatboy has always been one of my favorites.

SmokyOwl

Quote from: Hossamania on January 26, 2019, 10:35:13 PM
I forgot to ask, which part of Wisconsin?

Janesville, southern Wisconsin just between the capital Madison and the southern border.
"Attack life.  It's going to kill you anyways." - Steve McQueen

Hossamania

SixShooter14

Howdy Smoky, welcome to the site. And the world of HD.

If you need any help or have any questions about the new ride, the General and TC tech sections are full of good info.
'97 Road King, Rinehart True Dual, HSR42, 10:1, EVL3010, 2000i

Heinz

Welcome to the site. You will learn a lot of good things here.

harttoo

Welcome from Hartland,Wisconsin.

Pete_Vit

Welcome from Central Arkansas, sounds like my Springer when I bought it, 1996 with 7500 miles on it in 2004, lots of chrome and very clean, unfortunately not maintained mechanically and not run enough. you've come to the right place, lots of great folks lots of great vendors too !
enjoy your stay

93 XLH1200 - 96 FXSTS - 2010 Ultra Glide Classic
www.facebook.com/harleypartsch