March 28, 2024, 05:05:50 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

S&S M8 124” cylinders

Started by BigT, October 02, 2018, 05:53:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BigT

I was reading the installation instuction for the new S&S 4.250 cylinders and they supply a plug to block off an oil passage in the head on oil cooled models. I attached a link to the pdf instuctions. Any idea what oil flow is getting blocked off?

https://assetcloud.roccommerce.net/files/_sscycle/3/9/1/510-0481-4-_25-bore-for-m8.pdf

rigidthumper

It's a cross drilled passage- HD didn't plug it because the head gasket seals it on 107/114/117 cylinders.
Ignorance is bliss, and accuracy expensive. How much of either can you afford?

HighLiner

With the numbers the M8 124" is putting down, how are the cranks holding up?

Goopdienes

look at fuel moto's latest test build 160 hp and 145 tq on a stock crank. previous to this buid they had the motor at 136hp and 143 tq and i was told they beat on that bike to see if they could break it. still running

pwmorris

Quote from: Goopdienes on October 09, 2018, 10:38:30 AM
look at fuel moto's latest test build 160 hp and 145 tq on a stock crank. previous to this buid they had the motor at 136hp and 143 tq and i was told they beat on that bike to see if they could break it. still running
Nice-
160 out of an M8 124". Blows S&S 124" kit away with those numbers. Looks like the M8 crank is up to the task-
Any link to that sheet?
Who's Dyno?
Is 160 available as a kit, bolt on for sale (customers can repeat these #'s), or is this a "test mule", which is apples and oranges....
Didn't see it on their site...
https://www.fuelmotousa.com/p-33981-m8-cvo-124-big-bore-kit.html

BigT

prodrag1320

Quote from: Goopdienes on October 09, 2018, 10:38:30 AM

would like to see this with 20-30K on it.if going 124",its a no brainer to get the lower end addressed

yobtaf103

Do these cylinders have cast liners ?

HD/Wrench

Quote from: rigidthumper on October 03, 2018, 05:31:49 AM
It's a cross drilled passage- HD didn't plug it because the head gasket seals it on 107/114/117 cylinders.

Here is a 4.250 gasket on the head along with OEM gasket to show how they sealed the head and 124 cylinder sitting on a stock head , so why the need to seal it off at all as  you can see the cometic gasket covers that entire area , Not really sure why they are doing this , unless they are worried it may leak later ?? or maybe less than flat surface  etc

Untitled by GMR Performance, on Flickr

BigT

I was told by Fuel Moto that Cometic had recently modified their head gasket where the plug in the head was no longer needed