April 16, 2024, 08:25:39 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Rocker shaft stud kit

Started by Sunny Jim, December 16, 2018, 04:03:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

les

December 30, 2018, 01:00:36 PM #25 Last Edit: December 30, 2018, 05:12:39 PM by FSG
Could someone please measure this?  It's the bolt hole depth, from the bottom of the shaft journal to the bottom of the bolt hole.

[attach=1,msg1274281]

BigT

[attach=0]
Quote from: les on December 30, 2018, 01:00:36 PM
Could someone please measure this?  It's the bolt hole depth, from the bottom of the shaft journal to the bottom of the bolt hole.

BigT

I was able to tread a long ALLEN bolt in .9" to each of the holes before it bound up. The boss for the bolt next to the valve spring is so thin part of it is exposed where is was milled out to clear the spring
[attach=0,msg1274347]   [attach=1,msg1274347]

les

Thank you, BigT.  So, since the studs I got only have about a half inch of 18 pitch threads, I think the approach would be to load them up with red Loctite and screw them in just snug until the 18 pitch threads come to an end at the top of the bolt hole threads, and not attempt to ground the base of the stud against the base of the bolt hole.

The treaded bolt hole is much deeper than I expected. 

I appreciate the information.  Next M8 I do, I will take a closer look at this rocker area.

BigT

The more I look at this design I can see why using a stronger stud would be a good idea. I personally wouldn't use a stud that only engages a 1/2" but there doesn't seem much else available.  I wonder how deep the Fueling ARP studs thread in?

Ohio HD

When needing answers, start at the resellers web site.

Rocker arm studs - 5/16-24 x 1.700"

http://www.feulingparts.com/products/Fasteners/Internal%20Engine/3047

FSG

Ohio HD

From the photo, I would say the 0.900" on the 5/16-18 end of the stud is good. They should bottom and be loctited in place per Feuling.

[attach=0]

BigT

I see the studs in the kit have a longer course thread section than fine thread which is opposite of what seems to be available for other sources.  Looks like I'll be biting the bullet and getting the kit. In the process of installing a 124" set up with the lower end at Darkhorse getting blueprinted. Another $200+ to the ongoing list.....

rigidthumper

The ARP stud looks like it uses .875" coarse thread, .15" gap, and .675" fine thread.
Ignorance is bliss, and accuracy expensive. How much of either can you afford?

les

Thanks, Ohio.  So, you're saying that the 18 pitch threads on the Feuling studs are .9" long, or that it would be optimal if they were .9" long?

BigT, when you get your stud kit, would you mind posting exact measurements?  Especially, the length of the course threads on the studs.  Overall length is not that critical because the fine thread side can be cut down and thread chased.  If these are custom made studs, that could explain the expense from Feuling.

Ohio HD

I would go by the dimensions Rigidthumper posted. Sounds like he's measured them. It totals the 1.700" as advertised.

les

Quote from: Ohio HD on December 31, 2018, 03:18:05 PM
I would go by the dimensions Rigidthumper posted. Sounds like he's measured them. It totals the 1.700" as advertised.

Got it.  Thank you.  Final answer is the local cheap studs won't work for this application.  The only way to get the advantage of the stud's support is to be able to sink it in the ~.9" into the rocker support.

Ohio HD

I could have them made in our plant in Italy, they make all sorts of grade 8 specialty shoulder bolts and studs with non standard lengths. Probably charge me about $50.00 each.     :embarrassed:

les

Quote from: Ohio HD on December 31, 2018, 03:39:36 PM
I could have them made in our plant in Italy, they make all sorts of grade 8 specialty shoulder bolts and studs with non standard lengths. Probably charge me about $50.00 each.     :embarrassed:

Yes, I've seen what custom studs can cost.  So, the Feuling price appears to be right in line, now that I've been educated on the exact dimensions.  I won't feel bad about spending the $140 for the kit.

HD/Wrench

I posted that you could not use the cheap stud way back when  this first started . .  I had ARP make us kit as well .  ARP will make the studs for anyone no big deal ,

BigT

les

les

So, looks like:

.75", .125", .8125" for the course threads that sink into the head.

Ohio HD

0.8125" with a steel rule? man you got good eyes.

PoorUB

Quote from: Ohio HD on January 19, 2019, 08:59:07 AM
0.8125" with a steel rule? man you got good eyes.

Years back I worked at a shop and we machined a few large flywheels with a large counter bore, something like 24". We didn't have anything to measure them with except a good quality rule with very fine graduations, plus a magnifier. Tolerance was something like +.010/-.000. We did them and never got any rejected but the customer probably couldn't measure them either! :hyst:
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

Swoop76

I reached out to Alloy Boltz and the have rocker stud kit fo $72 half the fueling price.  It's ARP grade 8 stainless, so question is there any issues going with stainless?

Ohio HD

Not knowing the specs of the studs you speak of, I would say most likely they're weaker than grade 8 steel.

PoorUB

ARP stainless has a tensile strength of 180,000 pounds. The will be fine, better than regular Grade 8.
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

Swoop76

Thanks I just looked at ARP site here is the information.  I've sent them a mail asking for a kit directly from them and will update when here back.

ARP manufactures a variety of premium grade bolt and stud kits to facilitate installation of exhaust headers including the popular stainless stud kit with 12-point nuts. The Stainless 300 material is not affected by corrosion or extreme heat, making it ideal for the application. What's more, the compact 12-point nut lets you easily slip a socket close to the pipe. Each ARP accessory stud or bolt kit includes the specific number of parts for your application, plus premium-quality washers and hex or 12-point nuts, as required. Studs are manufactured with a unique nut-starter nose that helps prevent cross-threading. Studs and bolts come either black oxide chrome moly or Stainless 300. Both are nominally rated at 170,000 psi tensile strength; substantially stronger than Grade 8 hardware.

Available for a wide selection of Chevrolet, Chrysler and Ford engines, plus many "universal" kits that can be matched by dimension.