March 28, 2024, 07:53:24 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Lifters

Started by wfolarry, January 01, 2016, 02:11:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Akbar

Quote from: kd on January 07, 2016, 06:55:51 AM
Quote from: wfolarry on January 05, 2016, 02:13:10 PM
The way it was told to me they are that hard on them. That's why this lifter was designed to hold more oil. More of a 'cushion' effect. Whether that holds true or not I don't know. I think with more oil going to the top end it would help on some motors. Sometimes I see motors that are getting almost no oil to the top end. Others are fine.

Larry, liquids can not be compressed. Physics 101. There should be no "cushion" effect when compressing oil unless it is aerated (or the tolerances are so loose there is leak-down). If the oil is aerated having more oil in the larger reservoir would be worse than a smaller chamber. It goes without saying, extra leak-down is not a desirable trait either. Is the bore larger radius or deeper to give this extra volume?

Could it be the chamber is made larger by increasing the inside diameter  :scratch:  which therefore makes it easier to machine to closer tolerances? Then the extra oil would only be an unintended byproduct of the machining a larger radius.   :nix:  It is also possible the larger piston face area would do more work per sq. in of pressure which would / could result in less movement of the piston in the bore on valve lift stroke.

Actually they can.. Even solids can be compressed / stressed.. They just don't obey the gas laws... Your high school physics teacher was lying to you..

Admiral Akbar

Quote from: wfolarry on January 05, 2016, 02:13:10 PM
The way it was told to me they are that hard on them. That's why this lifter was designed to hold more oil. More of a 'cushion' effect. Whether that holds true or not I don't know. I think with more oil going to the top end it would help on some motors. Sometimes I see motors that are getting almost no oil to the top end. Others are fine.

Is does as long as the volume is increased and lifter piston diameter not..

76shuvlinoff

Didn't pay much attention in physics but my hydraulics teacher said oil compresses 1/10th of 1%. At what pressure I don't know but that was the number he threw out there.
Critics are men who watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors.
 - Ernest Hemingway

kd

:up:  Good information 76.
KD

GunShyKennedy

February 06, 2016, 06:43:41 PM #29 Last Edit: February 07, 2016, 01:32:29 AM by GunShyKennedy
Larry,
        Would you mind posting some images of both lifters from top and bottom as well please?
Provided they're different in appearance of course, bigger oil holes, body thickness etc.
I have a set purported to be the standard Hylift Johnson.
Haven't used them as the oil holes and finish present poorly compared to the factory "C" lifters.
The higher quality lifter appears better finished in the image you've provided.
I'm a novice at this and appreciate the guidance.

Thanks.
cheers,
richo

Admiral Akbar

wfolarry

Here's a picture of the lifters that I sell

[smg id=2676]

Evo - Std. & Slow leak

Twin Cam - Std., Slow leak & Slow leak w/pin oiling.

GunShyKennedy

Thanks Larry,
                   From the image it seems I have a set of the standard Hylift Johnson Lifters.
They'll be headed into a friends bike.
Thanks for posting the images.
cheers,
richo

BVHOG

I think Topline/Hylift has pulled off what Gaterman attempted to do but couldn't. It is my belief this is the lifter we have been waiting for.
If you don't have a sense of humor you probably have no sense at all.

sfmichael

Hoping so...I just ordered a bunch.
I will have some feedback soon...doing lots of motors right now and they're all getting these.
Colorado Springs, CO.

wfolarry

Quote from: sfmichael on March 02, 2016, 01:53:55 PM
I will have some feedback soon...doing lots of motors right now and they're all getting these.

You should have bought them from me.

sfmichael

Quote from: wfolarry on March 02, 2016, 03:44:58 PM
Quote from: sfmichael on March 02, 2016, 01:53:55 PM

You should have bought them from me.

:teeth:   
Colorado Springs, CO.

No Cents

I put Larry's performance lifters in my T/C 124 last night. I pulled out the S&S Premium limited travel lifters...and I must say my valve train went almost dead silent compared to the S&S lifters I was running.
These lifters amazed me at how much quieter they operate in my engine.  :up: This is by far the quietest my valve train has been to date.

Ray
08 FLHX my grocery getter, 124ci, wfolarry 110" heads, Burns pipe, 158/152 sae

Frédéric CM

Curious here : are woods lifters also made by johnson ?

Mountainman streetbob

Quote from: No Cents on October 06, 2016, 08:54:57 AM
I put Larry's performance lifters in my T/C 124 last night. I pulled out the S&S Premium limited travel lifters...and I must say my valve train went almost dead silent compared to the S&S lifters I was running.
These lifters amazed me at how much quieter they operate in my engine.  :up: This is by far the quietest my valve train has been to date.

Ray

Ray I can't wait to hear a report on these lifters after 5k miles and 10 k miles!

Your valvetrain being quiet is quite a testimony!
Brice H Dyal  The "Mountainmman"
US Army 89-01 35H/12B US Army AMC

stogieluvr60

Hey Larry...I am under the impression you bench test the lifters you sell...is this so?

wfolarry

No. The bench test is older than I am & not very accurate.
I guarantee the ones I sell.

stogieluvr60

Quote from: wfolarry on October 31, 2016, 11:00:36 AM
No. The bench test is older than I am & not very accurate.
I guarantee the ones I sell.
Thanks for your quick reply!

SP33DY

QuoteCurious here : are woods lifters also made by johnson ?

The last I knew, Bobby was getting his lifters made by Morel.

Frédéric CM

Quote from: SP33DY on December 19, 2016, 07:06:35 AM
QuoteCurious here : are woods lifters also made by johnson ?

The last I knew, Bobby was getting his lifters made by Morel.

Thanks

Ozbob

Hey Larry
Any way I can get a set of premiums to Australia?

wfolarry

No problem.
Send me your email address [I'll send you a bill via paypal] & your shipping address.
Shipping down under is around $15
Send the info in a pm

60wt

installed SE255 cam and a set of new S & S standard lifters about 4000 miles ago, 3 of them are quiet but the front exhaust wants to tick sometimes, changes with RPM usually....adjusted it 3 or 4 times at different depths, no change.. maybe weak lifter, mabe something else?  Don't want to swap same lifters just incase the one is bad 
then have to take em out again, just want to replace one with a new one and see what happens...Been looking to buy just the one S & S lifter and hope thats the problem, can't find a place to buy just one. would it be unwise to run one different brand lifter( like the ones you recommend)  or stay with all S&S.     any suggestions ??? Thanks      PS..2007 FLHR
I'm going nucking futs

kd

Swap that lifter with the intake hole.  If the sound goes away or follows the lifter you have your answer. If the new lifter in that position catches the tick, there is something else causing it to happen.
KD

Coyote

Quote from: kd on May 22, 2018, 06:01:22 PM
Swap that lifter with the intake hole.  If the sound goes away or follows the lifter you have your answer. If the new lifter in that position catches the tick, there is something else causing it to happen.

Did you even read his post?