Timing marks on cam and pinion gear miss match.

Started by Winky, July 16, 2018, 07:04:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Winky

I'm at a loss This is the second time I've been in this motor apart and I got it running so I duplicated what I did the last time to no avail here's the story when I go to line up my cam to the breather and pinion gear the mark on the breather is between the splines and matches up the Andrews B grind I'm running but the mark on the pinion gear is on the spline and since the mark on the cam is on the spline as well it will either show up before or after the cam mark ... the last time I had the motor apart I set it up with pinion mark following the cam mark ... tried it again no luck so I pulled the cone and moved it prior to the cam mark ... having one hell of a time with it spend all afternoon in my shop with the temp 100 plus I'm done for the day but I'll be out there again tomorrow morning when it's cooler. 1976 FXE with Dyna 2 ignition.

Winky

I guess the real question I'm asking is when both marks are on the spline does the pinion spline mark precede or follow the cam mark ... breather gear has mark between spines and indexes perfectly with the cam gear; pinion gear ... not so much.
:crook: 

Ohio HD

If it doesn't line up like this, somethings very wrong.

[attach=0]

Winky

I know this ... I only see a mark on my pinion spline not in between them as your picture shows ... when it cools down I'll look again ...could be my eyesight I noticed your picture shows a mark on the spline a few splines away from where it's lined with one between the spines ... it very well could be my eye sight.

Ohio HD

Yes, the right side mark isn't used to time the cam, the left most line is used.

tmwmoose

theres two marks on that pinion gear the one you need will be short since its in a valley between two teeth get a bright flash light and maybe someone to help verify the marks for you Mr Magoo  :o

Winky

OK ... bingo ... Yahtzee ... yeah! Pulled the cam cover off again and looked close at the pinion gear ... sure enough there was the proper indexing mark ... just didn't see it ... and the last time I was into these area was two years ago ... in my defense ... I only got one eye and it has both a cataract and astigmatism ... I'm not bitchin' I'm BRAGGING  :chop:   

Winky

Is that my new nick name? lol hahaha lol like I haven't heard that before.

tmwmoose

Quote from: Winky on July 16, 2018, 08:37:17 PM
Is that my new nick name? lol hahaha lol like I haven't heard that before.

Just funning with ya :teeth:

Winky

IT'S ALIVE ... IT'S ALIVE ... IT'S ALIVE!!! Thank you ... the funny thing is I went through this before the last time she was apart ... not only am I going blind but senile as well it seems ... Thank you :hug:

Wiseguy

Just to update this, the extra mark on the pinion gear is from the slabside era, when the distributor was timed off the pinion gear also.

Bill
Once you know the facts, the answer will stand proud.