April 19, 2024, 04:37:56 PM

News:

Electronic Advance

Started by rbabos, July 26, 2018, 03:29:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rageglide

Quote from: FSG on July 27, 2018, 03:02:15 PM
I put a PAT Kit on my '90 FLHTUC many years ago, the main feature of the kit was the Cam and Carb, I don't recall an Ignition Assy but there it is in their destructions.

http://www.mikuni.com/pdf/pat_instructions.pdf

A younger brother has that bike these days, I'll as him to check the Ign Assy to see what's there.

Darn that FSG dude... beat me to it    I was just going to post, "Pass a truck" kit!   I remember when they were pushing that pretty hard back in the 90's.

dirtymike

yes i would buy i brand car with points ignition.

Hossamania

Quote from: dirtymike on July 28, 2018, 07:10:43 PM
yes i would buy i brand car with points ignition.

I'm sure your just kidding, there is no way it would work with efi, turbos, variable valve timing, etc.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

crock

July 29, 2018, 03:53:49 PM #28 Last Edit: July 30, 2018, 12:46:56 AM by FSG
Quote from: Ohio HD on July 28, 2018, 05:30:07 PM
Points are so 1970's. Here's the scoop, a Harley has a loose fitting cam that opens and closes the points. The front point gap on the lobe is generally different than the rear gap, just because all of that fits together loose as a goose. So that means that the timing to one cylinder isn't optimum. Stock sluggy motor, doesn't matter so much. You start going performance it matters. Also as the rubbing block wears on the points, the dwell angles changes, and so does the timing. A lot? No. But again when we go performance, or want optimal running, it matters.

Magnetic pickups only need to pass by an open windows to break the circuit, or past a magnetic pickup. Doesn't matter if it's slightly off one bike to the next. Timing stays where you put it, nothing is wearing out as it runs like points systems do.
You would buy a brand new car or truck with a points ignition, nor would I.

I like to think the reason I ride these shovels isn't because they need precision timing and precise fuel delivery, it's the simplicity of it. If I wanted the I would be riding a twin cam! My shovel is far from stock at 98 inches but it has a carb and it has points and it is duel fire and it has solid lifters and yes I have to "maintain" it but.... it's no longer a hobbie it's a passion. And there is nothing more satisfying than pulling away from a red light and seeing the look of the guy next to you on his Street Glide of his Deuce when he can't run away from "That old bike"
Crock

Ohio HD

Quote from: crock on July 29, 2018, 03:53:49 PM
Quote from: Ohio HD on July 28, 2018, 05:30:07 PM
Points are so 1970's. Here's the scoop, a Harley has a loose fitting cam that opens and closes the points. The front point gap on the lobe is generally different than the rear gap, just because all of that fits together loose as a goose. So that means that the timing to one cylinder isn't optimum. Stock sluggy motor, doesn't matter so much. You start going performance it matters. Also as the rubbing block wears on the points, the dwell angles changes, and so does the timing. A lot? No. But again when we go performance, or want optimal running, it matters.

Magnetic pickups only need to pass by an open windows to break the circuit, or past a magnetic pickup. Doesn't matter if it's slightly off one bike to the next. Timing stays where you put it, nothing is wearing out as it runs like points systems do.
You would buy a brand new car or truck with a points ignition, nor would I.

I like to think the reason I ride these shovels isn't because they need precision timing and precise fuel delivery, it's the simplicity of it. If I wanted the I would be riding a twin cam! My shovel is far from stock at 98 inches but it has a carb and it has points and it is duel fire and it has solid lifters and yes I have to "maintain" it but.... it's no longer a hobbie it's a passion. And there is nothing more satisfying than pulling away from a red light and seeing the look of the guy next to you on his Street Glide of his Deuce when he can't run away from "That old bike"
I'm not against old iron, I've just been there and done that too. My first was a '52 Shovel / Pan, I bought in boxes in 1978. Once I started going faster, I wanted as much new technology I could get, to make the bike run better, and require less maintenance. Electronic ignition, Velva-Touch lifters, etc.

dirtymike

don't wont efi, turbos, variable valve timing, etc. Just AC

crock

Quote from: dirtymike on July 30, 2018, 12:28:59 PM
don't wont efi, turbos, variable valve timing, etc. Just AC
:bike:
Crock

Burnout

I hugged my Air Conditioner today. 
They don't call me Ironhead Rick just because I'm "hard headed"