April 24, 2024, 05:08:12 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Head Gaskets

Started by a_disalvo, July 31, 2018, 01:02:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

a_disalvo

Got the new S&S heads painted ( used HD textured paint $21.55/can !!! ) and ground the perimeter of the fins for that "special" look. Reading the extra sheet thrown in with the heads about the copper head gaskets S&S, recommends using " Gasgacinch" on both sides of the copper gasket and also on the head and the cylinder top. I was going to just use copper seal on both sides of the gasket. I have a full can of copper seal on my shelf. What do the builders use ??? Thanks, Frank

rbabos

Quote from: a_disalvo on July 31, 2018, 01:02:32 PM
Got the new S&S heads painted ( used HD textured paint $21.55/can !!! ) and ground the perimeter of the fins for that "special" look. Reading the extra sheet thrown in with the heads about the copper head gaskets S&S, recommends using " Gasgacinch" on both sides of the copper gasket and also on the head and the cylinder top. I was going to just use copper seal on both sides of the gasket. I have a full can of copper seal on my shelf. What do the builders use ??? Thanks, Frank
By no means a shovelhead expert buy why copper head gaskets? They would not be my first choice.
Ron

HotRodShovel

My first choice for head gaskets would be Cometic MLS.  Used them many times and always a success. They come in a couple of different thicknesses so  you have room to move.  Outstanding product.  Their metal base gaskets on the other hand suck..imho of course.
Sometimes life is like trying to share a sandwich with Rosie O'Donnell. 
John

76shuvlinoff

Quote from: hotrodshovel on July 31, 2018, 04:13:58 PM
My first choice for head gaskets would be Cometic MLS.  Used them many times and always a success. They come in a couple of different thicknesses so  you have room to move.  Outstanding product.  Their metal base gaskets on the other hand suck..imho of course.

this ^
Critics are men who watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors.
 - Ernest Hemingway

Burnout

Quote from: a_disalvo on July 31, 2018, 01:02:32 PM
What do the builders use ??? Thanks, Frank

COMETIC

or Copper in a pinch

I will not use fiber gaskets as they do not conduct heat
They don't call me Ironhead Rick just because I'm "hard headed"

HotRodShovel

I have to add re: Cometic MLS, as good as they are, the instructions say that re-torquing after heat cycles is not necessary....CROCK.   If you use them, re-torque them as you would any other gasket.  Can't understand why Cometic would put that into their tech sheets but.....I would not let that prevent me from using them.  Great head gaskets...MLS...
John

crock

Someone call my name?  :teeth:
Crock

a_disalvo

Found a set of blue James big bore gaskets in my stash, I was was using them with the stock heads. Never had a problem. Posted about the copper because that is what S&S supplied with the new heads!! Frank

rkrcpa

Quote from: hotrodshovel on August 01, 2018, 04:00:22 AM
I have to add re: Cometic MLS, as good as they are, the instructions say that re-torquing after heat cycles is not necessary....CROCK.   If you use them, re-torque them as you would any other gasket.  Can't understand why Cometic would put that into their tech sheets but.....I would not let that prevent me from using them.  Great head gaskets...MLS...

I made that mistake and they let go in less than a mile, switched back to copper, and yes, I used gasgacinch.

76shuvlinoff

I replaced the copper head gaskets on my S&S long block with cometic MLS somewhere in the neighborhood of 10-11 years ago.  Retorqued as I would any head gasket.  Not a drop since.
Critics are men who watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors.
 - Ernest Hemingway

Wiseguy

I've been using copper head gaskets on my S&S heads since about 1996, and on my new Ultima Shovel heads. K&W Coppercoat on all surfaces. Haven't retorqued copper, but I would on any other composition. I run pretty high compression, and nothing has ever leaked out of my head gasket area. Other areas, maybe a tiny bit of weeping, but not enough to justify tearing down to address it.

Bill
Once you know the facts, the answer will stand proud.

rbabos

Quote from: Wiseguy on September 13, 2018, 07:59:19 AM
I've been using copper head gaskets on my S&S heads since about 1996, and on my new Ultima Shovel heads. K&W Coppercoat on all surfaces. Haven't retorqued copper, but I would on any other composition. I run pretty high compression, and nothing has ever leaked out of my head gasket area. Other areas, maybe a tiny bit of weeping, but not enough to justify tearing down to address it.

Bill
That's odd. If any gasket can get away without a re-torque it would be the MLS as there's nothing to really compress in them. The amount of Viton yield is insignificant beyond the initial torque sequence. New copper on the other hand will yield from heat cycles after first torquing. :scratch:
Ron

Wiseguy

Your thoughts definitely have merit. Copper head gaskets most likely can vary in hardness, depending on the supplier. S&S and Cometic copper head gaskets might be harder than a set that you might heat to re-use. I know that aluminum sheets turn into almost butter when heated.
If you haven't used a particular supplier's non-ferrous head gaskets before, it would be wise to retorque after heat cycling the motor unless you have a Webster gauge to establish hardness degree. I used to use one in the past to verify aluminum patio door hardness at he shop I worked at in the seventies. There are probably better instruments available now than the ones we used back then. Ours was a pair of grips with a calibrated point and a dial that measured the point penetration to assess hardness.

Bill
Once you know the facts, the answer will stand proud.

HotRodShovel

Cometic MLS several times with great success.  And I always re-torque if for no other reason just to know they are tight.
John

Hillside Motorcycle

The re-torque sequence apply's to graphite or fiber gaskets, as a Cometic MLS EST gasket will not compress any more, once torqued.
Never hurts to re-check, however.
Otto Knowbetter sez, "Even a fish wouldn't get caught if he kept his mouth shut"

Dogbone45ACP

Scott, what do you like for head gaskets? I 'm out of the loop for shovels.....Thank you. Sam

Hillside Motorcycle

We use mostly Cometic anymore.
Gone are the days of James blue Teflon gaskets.
Otto Knowbetter sez, "Even a fish wouldn't get caught if he kept his mouth shut"

Dogbone45ACP

HotRodShovel

Quote from: Scott P on September 20, 2018, 07:37:49 AM
We use mostly Cometic anymore.
Gone are the days of James blue Teflon gaskets.

I like it when a pro agrees with me. I feel like after all the money and wrong parts and proceedures I pissed away, the light switch may have finally gone on!!!
John