March 28, 2024, 01:25:25 PM

News:

sealed wheel bearing conversion for 78 FLH

Started by deerjoe, August 09, 2018, 11:53:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

deerjoe

August 09, 2018, 11:53:24 AM Last Edit: August 09, 2018, 02:00:13 PM by deerjoe
Howdy!  Been a while since my last post... hope everybodys doin stellar!   I recently picked up a 78 FLH, and Im goin through it, and want to replace the Timken non-sealed wheel bearings with sealed ones.  V-Twin Mfg.  had them in my buddys shop catalog, but theyve discontinued em.  I found em online at a place called Manualstore.com, and ordered em online, but they just emailed me two days later to tell me theyre not available anymore  :banghead:  So Im pretty sure theyre "special", and just any sealed bearing wont work.  Please tell me if Im wrong!   The nice folks at J&P told me they will, but if so, why do they just sell sealed wheel bearings for 2000 and up?  Therye mags with a 3/4 axle...Help please...
j

Burnout

I'm a firm believer in using the original style bearings.
I think they have more contact area thus are lighter loaded and last longer than ball bearings.

I'm pretty sure this is a "don't fix it if it ain't broke" thing
They don't call me Ironhead Rick just because I'm "hard headed"

deerjoe

Maybe it is broke.  I have a 40 year old bike to make safe, and the bearings in there dont look all that good.  I guess Im lookin at it in a different way than you, the moco started using sealed bearings for more than one reason, and I see it as a better unit, safer from contamination, etc., so in effect, an upgrade.
j

FSG

Quoteso in effect, an upgrade.

not in my opinion, they went to sealed as they were cheaper, easier to fit, etc .........  all to save a few $$$$$$

your better off replacing them with new timken tapered bearings

koko3052

crock

I am not a sealed wheel bearing kinda guy either. I like to be able look at em every now and again but I,m curious as to whether  this is a simple swap? My old Pan Head had rollers and I had the hubs machined for Timkins  :scratch:
Crock

deerjoe

Ok I give.  Goin back in with Timkens.   Thanks guys.
j

FSG

QuoteMy old Pan Head had rollers and I had the hubs machined for Timkins

The Pan Rollers were the rebuildable ones which were good in their day, machining hubs for Tapered Timkens was a good move.

FSG

I replaced the brake pads and checked/repacked the bearings on the front of my 1994 Toyota Hilux (PickuP) last Saturday.

The OEM Timken M12649 were in excellent shape for having covered near on 280,000 Klms (176,000 Ml). 

Note the 'USA'