April 19, 2024, 09:52:30 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Revtech 5-in-a-4 w/kicker, p/n 58295

Started by xlfan, August 31, 2018, 04:23:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

xlfan

August 31, 2018, 04:23:27 AM Last Edit: August 31, 2018, 05:03:42 AM by xlfan
I've been tryin to get me one of these from CustomChromeEurope for almost 3 months now. Does anyone know if they are in stock at CustomChromeUSA?   

guppymech

There's two new ones on ebay.com right now.  One of those sellers has it even cheaper on their own web site.
'84 FXE, '02 883R

a_disalvo

Might consider installing one of these if it could handle 98 ft/lb of torque?

76shuvlinoff

Honesty time

I've had an RT 5/4 with a kicker behind my S&S 93"er for just over 30,000 miles.  It has held up well but I will say even though I have been known to ride hard I don't abuse my stuff.  If built in the USA is important to you think about going with something else. I did not do my due diligence and did not know it was a Korean unit until it arrived. I figured it would not hold up but it has. I know there are a lot of transmissions out there with RT gearsets in them doing just fine. My ignition does not work for kicking so I don't use it, I can't speak to the durability of the kicker assembly.

The only issue I have is very occasionally the lever does not return like it should when downshifting from 3rd to 2nd and I have to step on it again.
Critics are men who watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors.
 - Ernest Hemingway

JW113

Honestly time here too.

USA does not hold the keys to the top qualty executive bathroom anymore. Judging from the number of Japanese, German, and yes KOREAN cars in the country, the playing field is pretty level at this point. I'm not saying Made in USA is bad, just that made in some other places is not bad either. They're all good, pick your poison for what ever reason floats your boat.

The emphasis is on MADE IN. The key is really the DESIGN. Is the design any good? Because if it is, there are an awful lot of places that is can be MADE, and be of high quality. If the design sucks, then no matter where it is made, it will suck. If the quality control sucks, then the end product will suck no matter of the design or where it is made.

A lot of crap that is made in V-Taiwan is just that, crap. Because it was not designed well nor is quality well controlled. A company that is on top of quality control can manufacture anywhere and produce quality product, if that is their intent. And then there are the companies that put cost over quality, and we all know what to expect when that is the case.

I'm not saying RevTech transmissions are wonderful, I have no idea as I've never owned one. But I would not discount them just because they might be made in Korea. It's all about design and quality control, not location. Korea is the "new" Japan, and nobody badmouths Japan for low quality. Unless they have some sort of misguided nationalistic mindset.

Competition = good. The best rise to the to the top regardless of competition.

Just sayin'!

-JW
2004 FLHRS   1977 FLH Shovelhead  1992 FLSTC
1945 Indian Chief   1978 XL Bobber

76shuvlinoff

Critics are men who watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors.
 - Ernest Hemingway

dablaze

Don't have the kicker version, but 5 years on my R/T five in four and along with a Barnett scorpion clutch it feels great & it shifts and finds neutral like its brand new.

Craig
Second Shift Cycle

a_disalvo

California Phil has the RT 58295 for $1269.00, free shipping!!!

xlfan

xlfan

I'm not even able to submit an email to Phil's,  supposedly due to a wrong phone number format. So I guess shipping to Europe is out of the question.

76shuvlinoff

Quote from: xlfan on September 09, 2018, 03:04:41 PM
I'm not even able to submit an email to Phil's,  supposedly due to a wrong phone number format. So I guess shipping to Europe is out of the question.

Phil is a member here, you can locate him under "Vendors that support this site" on the home page.

- Ernest Hemingway

xlfan

HotRodShovel

Curious, some years ago when I was upgrading my FrankenShovel I decided to put in a Baker 6 into 4 transmission. Aside from price which is a significant factor, I paid a cool 3 grand for it, why would a 5/4 be a better choice? 
From the way I understand it, and its always a good possibility I have it wrong, 5th gear is the same ratio as 4th gear in a 4 speed. So the only difference is in 1st.   The Baker 6 into 4 has a true overdrive in 6th gear which was the deciding factor for me.

Again, I know its a pricy upgrade and thats a biggie, frankly I'm surprised I bought it when I did knowing my financial situation at the time but when it comes to my Shovelhead I never let good sense get in the way of throwing barrels of cash at it.   :emoGroan:
Sometimes life is like trying to share a sandwich with Rosie O'Donnell. 
John

a_disalvo

Question becomes do you have a use for an overdrive gear? I know twin cams should have their rpm's above 2,000 rpm. 6th gear only over 60 or the reed valve will flutter. Lugging a shovel will destroy the lower end. What do you think the running rpm should be for these motors? Frank

76shuvlinoff

5/4 gave me some betweener gearing. With a 93" mill,  24T motor and 23T tranny sprockets I played with a spread of rear sprockets from 46T to 51T settling at 48T.  Back then the shovel was my two up bike, I was always searching for the gearing/cam/carb combo that allowed it to do it all and still run the highway with more modern bikes. I was fairly happy but never thrilled no matter what. As the count of rear sprocket teeth went down the number of shifts went up.

These days I have a road sofa for two up or covering hard miles solo making the shovel my grins bike. I don't believe I am going to have any regrets going back to the 4 speed when it's time.

The OD in my fat assed 12 EG is seldom used below 65mph and never used two up unless we hit the slab at 70+. I'll tell ya it's a rare day I hold 70+ with the wife on the back.  Funny thing, I get much better fuel efficiency when she's with me.  :wink:
 - Ernest Hemingway

HotRodShovel

September 11, 2018, 11:31:49 PM #15 Last Edit: September 11, 2018, 11:38:17 PM by HotRodShovel
Frank, I hardly ever use it, OD that is, I mean just because its there does not mean its always proper to go into it.  When I have used it I have a fist full of throttle and my 96" responds as you would think it would.   My concern for never lugging a motor is more about the top end.  Low rpm oil starves the upper and creates dangerous heat.  Lack of oil pressure + excessive heat = a seizure.   Thats where I think the damage gets done.   Ive yet to suffer any damage from lugging simply because I dont lug.

Do I need it?  Hell no but I have it to use when the situation is available.

I have no instruments, although a tach is always on the drawing board.  I shift by ear.  I listen to my motor and shift accordingly.   My TwinCam is a different creature altogether. 

Mark, I think you nailed it with gearing & sprocket size combos. 
Sometimes life is like trying to share a sandwich with Rosie O'Donnell. 
John

JW113

I covet the idea of a Shovel transmission with 5 instead of four. At highway speed, yes 5th in a 5 speed equils 4th in a four speed. And if riding on the highway was all you ever did, then who needs a 5 speed. Where the 5 speed shines is in the city. Especially if you do a lot of commute riding, with slow/go traffic. Which I do. I find with the 4 speed, there is never a really great gear to be in. 2nd is too low, 3rd is too high. With my 5 speed bikes, 3rd gear pretty much gets it done, which is numerically in between 2nd and 3rd of a Shovelhead 4speed.

I guess it's all about versatility. 5speed is one more than 4speed. Kind of like a guitar amp that goes to 11.
:SM:

-JW
2004 FLHRS   1977 FLH Shovelhead  1992 FLSTC
1945 Indian Chief   1978 XL Bobber

Wiseguy

I've had my Revtech six speed gearset in my S&S 5-in-4 case since 2001. In all that time, I replaced thd 1-2 shift fork and nothing else. I'm not easy on it, but I don't beat on it. Like others, I don't use the sixth overdrive often, but it's nice to have. I'm geared 23/49 on final drive, and that works out to 23.75 mph for every 1,000 rpm. Overdrive is .86:1, so at 70mph, I'm only turning about 2600 rpm. My 96" motor pulls that just fine.

Wiseguy
Once you know the facts, the answer will stand proud.

xlfan

Does anyone have an e-mail adress for a Custom Chrome Inc sales representative?

I wasn't aware of the difficulties finding a shop stocking these transmissions, and willing to ship it UPS to Europe.

Ohio HD

xlfan

I'm not allowed to submit anything through the 'contact us' page,  due to wrong phone number format, and I have tried many times.

Hossamania

Quote from: xlfan on September 16, 2018, 05:12:51 PM
I'm not allowed to submit anything through the 'contact us' page,  due to wrong phone number format, and I have tried many times.

Try sending him a personal message here on HTT and he can contact you directly, send him your email address.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.