April 19, 2024, 06:05:17 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

I'd rather push a Harley than ride a Honda!

Started by JW113, September 05, 2018, 06:44:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JW113

OK, so I'm not so sure I believe that. Especially at my age.

Stopped off at the liquor store on the way home to grab some "groceries", perhaps a mile and change from the house. All was well, shovelhead ran fine all the way to work that morning and on the way back. Until.... I saddled back up, just "tapped" the starter button and whizzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz. Hmm. I swung out the kicker and gave it a kick. Whing, right to the ground. OK, lost something in the primary, evidently.

So I'm thinking one of two things: Either the belt broke, or the clutch hub cracked. Why it did this just sitting in a parking lot trying to start up, who knows. After pushing that boat anchor home, am too winded and lazy to even look at it tonight. Sounds like I have my weekend planned for me, though.

:banghead:

More to follow...

-JW
2004 FLHRS   1977 FLH Shovelhead  1992 FLSTC
1945 Indian Chief   1978 XL Bobber

rageglide

Doh!

Maybe the key on the mainshaft and possibly damaged the hub.   Belt would be the easiest of course.   

JW113

Yeah, belt, maybe. If that. But I have two of them hanging on the wall, one too tight to even get on the pulleys, the other so tight it caused the mainshaft seal to leak. WTF??? No adjustment on this belt drive, so how the heck do you get a belt that is "just right"? Anyway, if it is the belt, am very likely to pull it and set it back up for stock primary chain.

-JW

motorplex88

I've also had the same thing happen. Oddly enough while getting "groceries". Mine was the belt, but I do run the 11 mm belt with the adjustable idler. If you got a chain set up laying around I'd use it. Money is money. :chop:

Hossamania

I pushed my RoadKing home about a half mile when the drive belt broke (it wasn't the belt's fault), and I'm pretty sure next time I'll call AAA.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

HotRodShovel

Bravo to you guys who push these things.  Me...phone call to my local mc pick up guy.   A well spent $75.00.  Man, I don't have the back for it anymore.

I think my 650 BSA Lightning project is becoming more and more of a reality for around town riding.
Sometimes life is like trying to share a sandwich with Rosie O'Donnell. 
John

fbn ent

Years ago I ran out of gas and pushed about a mile uphill before coasting down to a gas station....NEVER AGAIN!! Screw it, they can have it if they are quicker than me getting back with fuel.

I've never seen a broken primary chain.... :wink:
'02 FLTRI - 103" / '84 FLH - 88"<br />Hinton, Alberta

Hossamania

Quote from: fbn ent on September 06, 2018, 09:11:35 AM

My thoughts exactly when I read of another broken primary belt.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

Pete_Vit

Quote from: JW113 on September 05, 2018, 06:44:13 PM
OK, so I'm not so sure I believe that. Especially at my age.

Stopped off at the liquor store on the way home to grab some "groceries", perhaps a mile and change from the house. All was well, shovelhead ran fine all the way to work that morning and on the way back. Until.... I saddled back up, just "tapped" the starter button and whizzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz. Hmm. I swung out the kicker and gave it a kick. Whing, right to the ground. OK, lost something in the primary, evidently.

So I'm thinking one of two things: Either the belt broke, or the clutch hub cracked. Why it did this just sitting in a parking lot trying to start up, who knows. After pushing that boat anchor home, am too winded and lazy to even look at it tonight. Sounds like I have my weekend planned for me, though.

:banghead:

More to follow...

-JW
your a better man than me  :up: last time I broke down was about 6 miles from the house, one throttle cable broke on me, right in front of a house, the guy who lives there was a guy my wife gave a ride home to when he broke down.... :doh: it was like I was the last person on earth... I started the bike, pulled the enriched out full and limped home  :embarrassed:
93 XLH1200 - 96 FXSTS - 2010 Ultra Glide Classic
www.facebook.com/harleypartsch

Ohio HD

Quote from: fbn ent on September 06, 2018, 09:11:35 AM
Years ago I ran out of gas and pushed about a mile uphill before coasting down to a gas station....NEVER AGAIN!! Screw it, they can have it if they are quicker than me getting back with fuel.

Now you have....               :smile:

http://harleytechtalk.com/htt/index.php?topic=88095.msg1213815#msg1213815

fbn ent

Yikes!  :dgust: Now it's a chicken & egg thing. I respectfully withdraw my comment.... :SM:

david lee

Quote from: motorplex88 on September 05, 2018, 08:30:28 PM
I've also had the same thing happen. Oddly enough while getting "groceries". Mine was the belt, but I do run the 11 mm belt with the adjustable idler. If you got a chain set up laying around I'd use it. Money is money. :chop:
my set up too.no belt no go.why did you push it home jw dont you carry a mobile phone

friday

they say you meet the nicest people ON Hondas , not pushing Hondas .

a broken belt instantly turns a Harley into a "Groceries" trolley

rageglide

I'd rather push that shovelhead (or mine) than my Roadglide!   I'm guessing you had pushed it from Zanottos in which case you were pushing it on a sidewalk under that damned underpass?   THAT would suck, especially if you had crap to carry and no saddlebags ...

None of our "Bro's" offered to help you?  :-)

JW113

Quote from: Ohio HD on September 06, 2018, 12:09:52 PM

Now you have....               :smile:

Now hold on there, that's not exactly apples to apples. If I follow that tale, the motor is 124", and it was the clutch shell that broke. The chain was just an innocent bystander, collateral damage as such.

As stated above, I too have never seen a primary chain, and just a primary chain, break. To qualify that a little, "on a stock-ish motorcycle".

-JW

JW113

Well the verdict is in:

[attach=0]

So now the big question, fix it or put chain drive set up in.

Bob, I was down at that liquor store next to the Lucky. So pretty flat, and yes pushed it on the sidewalk. Most of the way. OK, will come clean here. I called Valerie, told her to bring a long rope, and look for me pushing it down Pruneridge. I actually got about 1/2 way home when she found me. I tied the roap to her van, and put a couple loops around the handlebar and held the end, and had her pull real slow on the road side. All went pretty well, but this was rush hour, and about 1/4 mile from where we turn, the traffic was pretty backed up. I didn't want to manuver through all the traffic and stop/starts, so unhooked the bike and pushed it the rest of the way home. So had a little help, but still sucked. Totally.

So now, decisions, decisions....

-JW

kink04fxd

2000 FLHTCI (now carb)<br />1982 FLH

packrat56

I had a BDL belt pri. on my 103" shovel, lasted maybe 2 weeks. Luckily it broke
in the driveway at my house. I had already bought chain stuff. I don't like belts on a bike.
Now I know, why some animals eat their young.

HotRodShovel

I had 1 3/4 enclosed primary belt from Tech Cycles for many years. Never experienced a break.  Just switched over to a 3" open primary, also from Tech Cycles.  I'm guessing that monster will never break.
John

fbn ent

Quote from: HotRodShovel on September 06, 2018, 07:19:18 PM
I had 1 3/4 enclosed primary belt from Tech Cycles for many years. Never experienced a break.  Just switched over to a 3" open primary, also from Tech Cycles. I'm guessing that monster will never break.

:emoGroan: NOW you've done it !  :doh: :kick:

76shuvlinoff

45 lbs and easily 20 years ago I pushed my FLH shovel a 1/4 mile.  It has stranded me twice since then. I pushed it off the road, period.
Critics are men who watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors.
 - Ernest Hemingway

HotRodShovel

fun ent, I just can't leave well enough alone....its a damn disease.

The old saying, 'if it aint broke dont fix it'  well that rule does not live in my garage especially when it pertains to my Frankenshovel. 

I swear this is it!.  When its back on the road I will NEVER modify it again.   Only mantaineqmce and repairs.  I swear!!!!!
John

fbn ent

Quote from: HotRodShovel on September 07, 2018, 05:19:57 AM
fun ent, I just can't leave well enough alone....its a damn disease.

The old saying, 'if it aint broke dont fix it'  well that rule does not live in my garage especially when it pertains to my Frankenshovel. 

I swear this is it!.  When its back on the road I will NEVER modify it again.   Only mantaineqmce and repairs.  I swear!!!!!

Well on that I must call bovine  :turd: ! The only way for me to leave well enough alone is to buy that beemer!  :hyst:

motorplex88

Seems like I remember something about belts that are available in X amount of teeth plus a half size or plus size larger ? I know I'm not describing that right  :crook: but maybe something to look into for the "tight belt " issue. I'll have to research now for the sake of clearing my foggy memory. :banghead:

motorplex88

david lee

isnt correct belt tension the secret to belt life. my inch and half primo belt has been on my lowrider for over 30 yrs not that its done a lot of mileage but at last recent inspection my hd mech said its still as new, no cracks or worn teeth but still wish i had chain

dusty1

I have actually pushed both.My first bike was a 1975 honda piece of crap.Worst/best experience i ever had though was trying to push my shovel to a campground outside Cloverdale,CA. It was a couple miles or so,mostly uphill it seemed,July and hot.I pushed until i was winded and put kickstand down.Bike would slide backwards a few inches every time under its own weight.Finally i agreed to let a drunk local guy tow me to top of hill with a rope tied to my forks and his bumper.I knew this was not very smart,nor was sharing a doobie with the guy.He nearly jerked me to the ground,but didnt .At top of hill,un-tied rope and coasted down into campground.Good dude.At the campground;i met his family,ate,drank,and the next day he helped me find the problem,a main 30 amp breaker.Live and learn 

crock

Quote from: motorplex88 on September 07, 2018, 07:23:48 AM
Seems like I remember something about belts that are available in X amount of teeth plus a half size or plus size larger ? I know I'm not describing that right  :crook: but maybe something to look into for the "tight belt " issue. I'll have to research now for the sake of clearing my foggy memory. :banghead:

Never heard of that but it makes sense. There has to be a market for em.Let me know what you find, I'm curious now
Crock

Dogbone45ACP

The cast inner primary can be machined to give a little adjustment. Over size the bolt holes were it attaches to the engine case and open up the counter bore were it goes over the o ring on the engine case. This is from the late Phil Ross of Supermax Belt Drives.

Dogbone45ACP

If you do the above modification you can't go back to chain primary. The O ring will not seal.

david lee

my belt has the roller adjustable tensioner.why modify holes ?

motorplex88

Quote from: crock on September 08, 2018, 07:19:25 AM
Quote from: motorplex88 on September 07, 2018, 07:23:48 AM

Never heard of that but it makes sense. There has to be a market for em.Let me know what you find, I'm curious now
Crock, Looks like some manufacturers offer "ST' [standard] and "BE" [bulls eye] versions of belts with the BE of course being slightly larger. Did a search here and seen JW has been through this and also read about it in other articles. I personally have no experience with this as I run a belt with the idler setup and therefore not an issue for me.