April 18, 2024, 11:00:00 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

I'd rather push a Harley than ride a Honda!

Started by JW113, September 05, 2018, 06:44:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

david lee

isnt correct belt tension the secret to belt life. my inch and half primo belt has been on my lowrider for over 30 yrs not that its done a lot of mileage but at last recent inspection my hd mech said its still as new, no cracks or worn teeth but still wish i had chain

dusty1

I have actually pushed both.My first bike was a 1975 honda piece of crap.Worst/best experience i ever had though was trying to push my shovel to a campground outside Cloverdale,CA. It was a couple miles or so,mostly uphill it seemed,July and hot.I pushed until i was winded and put kickstand down.Bike would slide backwards a few inches every time under its own weight.Finally i agreed to let a drunk local guy tow me to top of hill with a rope tied to my forks and his bumper.I knew this was not very smart,nor was sharing a doobie with the guy.He nearly jerked me to the ground,but didnt .At top of hill,un-tied rope and coasted down into campground.Good dude.At the campground;i met his family,ate,drank,and the next day he helped me find the problem,a main 30 amp breaker.Live and learn 

crock

Quote from: motorplex88 on September 07, 2018, 07:23:48 AM
Seems like I remember something about belts that are available in X amount of teeth plus a half size or plus size larger ? I know I'm not describing that right  :crook: but maybe something to look into for the "tight belt " issue. I'll have to research now for the sake of clearing my foggy memory. :banghead:

Never heard of that but it makes sense. There has to be a market for em.Let me know what you find, I'm curious now
Crock

Dogbone45ACP

The cast inner primary can be machined to give a little adjustment. Over size the bolt holes were it attaches to the engine case and open up the counter bore were it goes over the o ring on the engine case. This is from the late Phil Ross of Supermax Belt Drives.

Dogbone45ACP

If you do the above modification you can't go back to chain primary. The O ring will not seal.

david lee

my belt has the roller adjustable tensioner.why modify holes ?

motorplex88

Quote from: crock on September 08, 2018, 07:19:25 AM
Quote from: motorplex88 on September 07, 2018, 07:23:48 AM
Seems like I remember something about belts that are available in X amount of teeth plus a half size or plus size larger ? I know I'm not describing that right  :crook: but maybe something to look into for the "tight belt " issue. I'll have to research now for the sake of clearing my foggy memory. :banghead:

Never heard of that but it makes sense. There has to be a market for em.Let me know what you find, I'm curious now
Crock, Looks like some manufacturers offer "ST' [standard] and "BE" [bulls eye] versions of belts with the BE of course being slightly larger. Did a search here and seen JW has been through this and also read about it in other articles. I personally have no experience with this as I run a belt with the idler setup and therefore not an issue for me.