April 25, 2024, 06:17:47 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Primary Belt Adjustment

Started by JW113, September 06, 2018, 06:45:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

david lee

Quote from: JW113 on September 12, 2018, 07:41:54 PM
Yes indeed Mark! I did read that 5th from the top sticky. So it is written, so it shall be done!
:SM:

So I've got a whole bunch of parts on the way. Primary chain drive set up from a '83 FLH. Hope it's not for a belt drive! And all the gaskets & such, mostly James. Since this was totally unsealed, will have to go through the process of plugging up all the unforeseen leaks after it's all together.

I also made a very cool score on ebay that I just have to pat myself on the back. I have been in the market for a JUNK Shovelhead outer cover to make a tool to cut off the starter bendix bearing support, so you can set up the clearance on the bendix but also fire up the bike without the outer cover on. I found one for $20, in "fair" condition, but the piece de resistance was that it came with an original polished aluminum derby cover. Only for '70-'71 I think? There is nothing I love more than polished aluminum on old motorcycles, and I will be putting a polished aluminum outer primary on the bike after I get the chain setup on. But to also have a polished aluminum derby cover.... how freakin cool is that? They are basically unobtainium, forget the aftermarket, they're all cheapo chromed pot metal from Chiwan. I and got one, plus an outer primary, for $20.
:baby:

-JW
bargain

Wiseguy

Quote from: JW113 on September 08, 2018, 09:05:52 AM
Yes, my trans is pretty drip free, esp with that sandbagrail O ring spacer. But now thinking it through, I need to deal with the starter housing, that the chain at a hole in. Thank goodness for JB Weld!

-JW

Back when Panheads were still popular and relatively cheap, we would take a pipe clamp, the flat type that mounted to the head, and flatten it to wrap it around the Shovel's starter drive. Drill and tap the ends, and you'd have a nice case protector. There's some guards available now made out of delrin, a type of nylon/plastic that just clips in place. Don't remember the maker, though.

Wiseguy
Once you know the facts, the answer will stand proud.