March 28, 2024, 09:47:05 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Time for new tire

Started by flht1550, September 08, 2018, 09:44:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

flht1550

September 08, 2018, 09:44:44 AM Last Edit: September 08, 2018, 11:46:04 AM by flht1550
Have a 81 with 96" stroker motor looking for a new rear tire. what do you suggest for miles and handling. Also will a 140 tire fit on 4 speed swing arm frame with O-Ring chain. I forgot to check clearance between chain and tire before removing.

motorhogman

I just tried a Michelin Commaner II for the first time.. (rear) Have about 6,000 mi on it.. Only been caught in a light rain once with it.. Felt as good as any other I have used..  D402, Metzler 880, Metzler 888, Dunlop Elite..
I went with the Commander II because of a lot of posts about better mileage..I don,t see that happening at this point.. I don't think it will go any further than any of the others I have ran over the past 18 years on this bike.
Thinking it may go 10,000 or so based on what I see now..01 FLHT
where's the points and condenser ?<br />Tom / aka motor

Ohio HD

Dunlop American Elite would be a fine tire for the bike.
140 will fit a late 4 speed frame fine.

76shuvlinoff

Some guys don't like Dunlops, they work for me.  Usually 10,000 + miles on the rear of my 76, better on the front.

Disclaimer,  I quit doing burnouts a long time ago. The 76 is lowered so I ride the tires pretty square. It also has not been my main bike for a long time. I'd have to check date codes but I have a feeling the current tires are 10+ years old.  It's going on the lift this winter to get my ground clearance back.

I like the Elites currently on my 12 EG.
Critics are men who watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors.
 - Ernest Hemingway

Mark222

Quote from: flht1550 on September 08, 2018, 09:44:44 AM
will a 140 tire fit on 4 speed swing arm frame with O-Ring chain. I forgot to check clearance between chain and tire before removing.

I have the '85 4 speed trans / Frame w/ Evo mill.  I run the 140 with o'ring chain no issues.

Mark

Mule

I have a buddy that just put a new 140 on his shovelhead four speed, It rubs fender strut bolts and the O ring chain rubs the side wall. It can be done but you have to align everything spot on!

Mark222

Yeah, maybe should have added, my 85 is no longer running the stock rear fender.

Mark

76shuvlinoff

Every new tire I slide my finger up in there to check side clearance on rear fender (I got small fingers).  I shortened all the strut bolts so they don't stick out beyond the nuts.
Critics are men who watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors.
 - Ernest Hemingway