April 26, 2024, 04:40:16 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Putting my top end back together

Started by Wiseguy, September 12, 2018, 11:04:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wiseguy

I lucked out with minimal damage to my cylinders after running WAY too much compression on my 96" Shovel. I'm de-tuning it a little by dropping my compression down to 9.5:1, and running a Mackie 580 cam. Regardless of what that three barrel Weber has you thinking, it's been sleeved down to thee 27mm venturi inserts, as opposed to the 30mm ones it came with on the 911 Porsche that previously used it and another one.
I've got a Pingel electric shifter on it that lets you shift with the throttle wide open. It cuts the ignition for about 70 milliseconds.

That electric fuel pump is just there to help what gravity can't do because the carb is a bit high in relation to the fuel tank level. I've got more than enough brakes. The front is early Hayabusa with Buell 13 1/2" rotors, and the back is later Hayabusa with an 11 1/2" floating rotor and dual mc's.

There's a few other mods (actually a lot more), but I'll go over those later. Thanks gor having me here, guys.

Once you know the facts, the answer will stand proud.

HotRodShovel

Thats some rear brake you got going there.!!!  Very interesting build.  By all means tell us more
Sometimes life is like trying to share a sandwich with Rosie O'Donnell. 
John

Wiseguy

I get a lot of my parts on ebay. Great prices. I got that pair of calipers for my rear brake for $40. I made the caliper bracket on my drill press and band saw from 3/4" T6 aluminum. The front caliper brackets are from 3/8" T6. I'm always tinkering with something. The heads are the new Ultima Big Bore Shovel with three bolt exhaust flanges, pressure releases, and some really nice ports.

I converted the heads to outside oil return. I'll post a few pics when I can find them.

Wiseguy

HotRodShovel

Funny, I was going to ask about the brake brackets.  Nice work.  My Shovel is also 96" but the last and only HD parts are the heads & cases both of which have been modified for the big bore plus the heads are dual plugged and have compression releases cut in.  I must say those Ultima heads look beautiful compared to my old ones. Makes me want to dig out a credit card and SPEND SOME MONEY!!  I just promised myself no more Shovel bucks unless its a repair. 
Wiseguy, you are making me want to spend money again!!!
John

Hossamania

And I tried to warn him that we would be the ones trying to spend HIS money!
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

76shuvlinoff

Critics are men who watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors.
 - Ernest Hemingway

Dogbone45ACP

Wiseguy, It's good to see you here. I followed your issues after you installed the new heads. Hope the bike is running well.

cbumdumb

Oh dear lord you got my attention as an old willright /mechanic that peaks my attention an interest very nice work sir.

Wiseguy

Thanks. I've described my bike as an exercise in excess. It's just a platform to test out things. I never wanted it to compete with other bikes that are smooth, cushy, quiet running, etc. I haven't had it dynoed in about twelve years, when it was putting out 95 ponies. It's probably just at the triple digit mark at this point. I've bent two axles doing holeshots. I've got a stronger chrome moly one now, and so far, it's still straight.
My flywheels had six pounds shaved from their already 3 1/2 pounds lighter size.

It spools up pretty quickly. Since I'm partial to spoked wheels, I got an eighty spoke rear for added strength. Here's a better shot of my dual rear mc setup. I needed more capacity than my stock mc had. Nine bucks each on ebay got it done.

It's not much to look at right now, but that'll change in a week or two.

Wiseguy

JW113

What? No 6-71 blower??
:hyst:

Wow dude, that's quite a machine you have there. Love seeing that kind of handywork. Keep it coming!  Oh, and welcome!

cheers,
JW
2004 FLHRS   1977 FLH Shovelhead  1992 FLSTC
1945 Indian Chief   1978 XL Bobber

Wiseguy

I got my jugs back from being sized to my new pistons today. One less step to go.

My front intake and exhaust valves and seats took turns mashing tiny pieces of piston into tinier ones on their way out of the combustion chamber, so I'm getting the seats and valves touched up a little.

I could lap them, but I don't want to risk it if the valve heads might have gotten tweaked a tiny bit out of square to the stems. I'm lapping them when I get thd heads back to check the work.
The new springs were advertised as good to .600" lift, but when I compressed them to 1.600" installed height, I only got 100 pounds pressure! I'll recheck things. That doesn't sound right at all. If they don't measure up, I can still use my 180 pound rated triple springs.
The material I removed from the spring seats for the .654" lift cam I had run gives me room to drop the seat pressure to 160 pounds, recommended for the .580" lift Mackie cam. No sense pounding things with more pressure than needed. I might remove thd oil pump tomorrow to see if anything got into it. That, and change the oil lines after the heads are installed so I can fit the outside oil return lines.
I've had this motor apart so many times trying out different combos that it almost puts itself together. I swear, I could almost go to sleep and wake up to find that parts have put themselves on the bike.😎

Wiseguy

HotRodShovel

Who's pistons you got there?   Nice work on those dual rear master cylinders.  I blew a hole in my front piston a few years ago and the hole was aligned with the exhaust port so I figured it all got blown out the pipe.  I took off the nose cone to get a look if any particles got into my gears and the breather had about a teaspoon of aluminum nuggets in it.   So I decided to pull the bottom end and split the cases, I flushed everything out and found enough particles to make me feel like  I did the right thing by tearing it down.

Man, the rings were fragmented and pounded into the top of the head.  What a mess but it could have been much worse.  Sh1t happens I suppose. 

About your T6 brackets, how did you get the 'ring' effect in the speed holes?   I like them very much.  Super nice work.
John

david lee

Quote from: JW113 on September 12, 2018, 06:12:30 PM
What? No 6-71 blower??

Wow dude, that's quite a machine you have there. Love seeing that kind of handywork. Keep it coming!  Oh, and welcome!

cheers,
JW
yea beats bolt on stuff

david lee

Quote from: JW113 on September 12, 2018, 06:12:30 PM
What? No 6-71 blower??

cheers,
JW
very similar what my mate does with alloy when it comes to modifications. stuff you cant buy

FSG

Any particular reason you went to dual calipers on the rear or was it just a case of 'why not' ?

Wiseguy

I'm using KB pistons. I'm dropping my compression down to about 9.5:1 with them. The speed holes are done with a stepped unibit. The rings in the holes catch the light and create a nice contrast.
The dual rear caliper setup was just a test to see if I could make radial mounted calipers work. The dual mc setup was needed to move enough fluid to activate all those pistons. The Wagner Lockheed mc wasn't doing it.

Wiseguy

HotRodShovel

I must say that your brackets are top shelf.   They really catch the eye.  So where did you get the T6 aluminum stock from?  Is it readily available?     Did you buff the T6 on a wheel?   I really like the look.
John

HotRodShovel

Quote from: Hossamania on September 12, 2018, 03:56:21 PM
And I tried to warn him that we would be the ones trying to spend HIS money!

lol, I need very little prodding....
John

Wiseguy

I get my T6 from a sheet metal workshop near me. One of the guys there rides a Shovel, and has helped me numerous times welding sheet metal with beautiful work. The "coins" he makes on the beads always look perfect.
I sometimes polish the aluminum, but other times I might opt for a satin look and just polish the edges for a contrast after sanding the rest with320.

Wiseguy

Wiseguy

After getting home from work, I removed the cone from the bottom end to have a look. Breather gear had nothing at all in it...

Breather gear bore looked nice and smooth...

Maybe nothing got through?... Not so fast, bud...

If piston pieces got this far, then some probably made it into the pump return gears. I'll remove the pump probably tomorrow and have a look. Maybe tonight if my back lets me.

Wiseguy

Hogman

Brother Bill, GREAT to be able to Read More of Your Musings/Postings! Been Depressed Since the Shovel Group Kinda/Sorta Crashed, or Whatever is Actually going on. Glad You Decided to Post Some of your Knowledge here my Friend! (I Know, I KNOW, BUTT, I DON'T & WON'T do that Faceplace thing, EVER!) Also, I HOPE EVERYONE at Home is Doing Well my Friend. Done Plenty of Prayers for ALL of you..... 
Keep it Up eh!  :up:   :up:   :SM:
THANKS Again Bill!!!!

ME
Hogman

Wiseguy

I hope you're doing well also, Hogman. Today I'm planning on removing my oil pump to check for any damage. Those pieces in the camchest show that there's a good chance that some probably made their way into the pump. I heard some ticking as I stopped that day. I'm thinking that maybe the pump sheared a key, but at first, the pressure gauge still showed 20 pounds before I shut it down. I wasn't going to leave it running to listen and wait for more damage to happen.
  If I end up needing a new pump, it's not a game changer. I'm really lucky that the cylinders suffered NO damage! I saw some scuff marks, but very minimal. The new pistons were fitted great with only .005" size difference. New S&S cylinders are about $900, so I really lucked out there.
All I'm waiting on at this point is copper head gaskets from Cometic and new valve springs from Kibblewhite. I should be back on the road by next weekend as long as the oil pump checks out okay. I'll know later today, and will post pics of what I find.

Wiseguy

Ohio HD

If there's garbage in the cam chest, you can bet there's more than likely garbage in the crank case, and maybe in the oil feed passages, crank pin, etc.

HotRodShovel

John

Wiseguy

Everything's gonna get a good flush and clean before any assembly. I'm not in a hurry on this, but once I do my cleanup, it's going together. If I could spare a little more cash, I'd get Dave Mackie to flow the heads. That'll probably happen around springtime.
This bike never really stays together very long. I get bored with it after a bit and try something new. I've had it for 26 years, and will never actually finish it.

Wiseguy