April 25, 2024, 04:16:10 AM

News:

Putting my top end back together

Started by Wiseguy, September 12, 2018, 11:04:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wiseguy

I'd probably lean towards the M8 if I was to look at anything else....but I still want to see if there's a solution to the valve train wear being handled by a single rocker arm contact point. Time will tell...

Wiseguy
Once you know the facts, the answer will stand proud.

Wiseguy

Fourth heat cycle is done. Sunday morning and afternoon for the first two, two more after that, and looking forward to a nice Saturday ride.

Wiseguy

friday

never noticed how the tank is scooped out . all good . have you thought about getting one of those leather braces ?  Im gonna keep my eye open , originals are too expensive

Wiseguy

The tank cutout was done some years ago when I ran a two barrel downdraft Weber that tucked into the recess.

The fuel inlet on the three barrel Weber seemed to line up good enough, so I left the tank as is.

Wiseguy

Wiseguy

I did my fifth heat cycle today, so I tried to put the video I made onto Photobucks to put here. No dice, so I did a Youtube video. I don't know how to load it here, so if you would like to see it, I titled it "Wiseguy's fifth heat cycle".

Bill.

Wiseguy

Thanks. I'm not too savvy on these kind of things. I pretty much stick to my nut and bolt stuff.

Bill

kd

That's a mighty fine sounding shovel Bill. It sounds tight with a nice compression crackle.   :up:
KD

HotRodShovel

Wiseguy, I read your flywheels are 9.5 lbs heavier than stock. Who made them?  I have T&O Torque Monster wheels and I believe they are 6 lbs heavier.
Sometimes life is like trying to share a sandwich with Rosie O'Donnell. 
John

Wiseguy

I must have needed more coffee or something. I meant to say 9 1/2 pounds LIGHTER than stock. They were done by a Shovel master (Nitrous Jim) in California from Shovelhead US, the other Shovel forum.

Bill

Wiseguy

Quote from: kd on September 27, 2018, 08:37:06 PM
That's a mighty fine sounding shovel Bill. It sounds tight with a nice compression crackle.   :up:

Thanks, Kirk. I can't wait to take it out tomorrow morning for a few miles to enjoy my latest work. That Mackie 580 cam suits it just fine for the street.

Bill

HotRodShovel

Quote from: Wiseguy on September 28, 2018, 04:09:27 AM
I must have needed more coffee or something. I meant to say 9 1/2 pounds LIGHTER than stock. They were done by a Shovel master (Nitrous Jim) in California from Shovelhead US, the other Shovel forum.

Bill

OK...thanks
Sometimes life is like trying to share a sandwich with Rosie O'Donnell. 
John

76shuvlinoff

Light wheels should tach right up.  Heavier for smoother less shifting crusing....or at least that's how I was told. My S&S wheels are allegedly lighter than stock but I can't tell you how much, I would think the higher compression leveled that out some. Getting too greedy with the gearing had me shifting a bunch local but it felt like it was idling at 70+ mph. I ended up gearing the shovel for local putts between the cornfields and take the TC for anything on the slab.
Critics are men who watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors.
 - Ernest Hemingway

Wiseguy

I took the bike out for about 40 or so easy miles today. Varied the throttle a little. If you don't occasionally put a little pressure on the rings, they won't seat as good, and the cylinders can get a little glazed. It starts up good, and it's a little on the rich side. It varies from 10.5:1 to about 11.2, 11.3:1, but I'll change that after a few more break-in miles. So far, it's running great, and showing just a touch more heat than usual. I expect that to subside, but for now, it's nothing to worry about. I'm happy with the results.

Bill

Wiseguy

I've only got about 200 miles on the motor so far, but I'm gonna change the jetting, probably this week. According to my air/fuel mixture gauge, my mainjets aren't coming in soon enough, showing about 13.5:1 before they come in, but 10.2:1 or so when they do.
That means going a little smaller on the air correction jets, which influences how soon the venturi vacuum starts pulling the air/fuel mixture through the emulsion tubes and into the airstream. The mainjets will need to be a little smaller also to get the numbers up higher than 10.2:1, where it shows now.
I'll change both types of jet sizes by filling the jet holes with solder and drilling them out with a smaller drill bit. When you have three of everything instead of just one, replacing jets gets a little costly. I've been doing it this way since the early seventies, so this is nothing new to me.

Bill