April 17, 2024, 06:20:00 PM

News:

How much extra transmission oil?

Started by xlfan, October 07, 2018, 12:38:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

xlfan

October 07, 2018, 12:38:14 PM Last Edit: October 07, 2018, 12:48:10 PM by xlfan
Does anyone remember how much extra transmission oil is needed for a 5-in-a-4 with the big old "granny" kick cover?

HotRodShovel

Who makes it?  I would just go by the manufacturers recommendation, yes?
Sometimes life is like trying to share a sandwich with Rosie O'Donnell. 
John

xlfan

I think those kickers hasn't been manufactured for about 20 years  :embarrassed:

Wiseguy

I would go with just under halfway up the gear diameter. That would be be easy if you drilled and tapped a 1/8X27 (tapered pipe thread) hole like the later kicker covers had in them for oil level indicating. When the oil starts creeping out the hole bottom, you're good.

Bill
Once you know the facts, the answer will stand proud.

Pirsch Fire Wagon

Quote from: Wiseguy on October 07, 2018, 05:36:45 PM
I would go with just under halfway up the gear diameter. That would be be easy if you drilled and tapped a 1/8X27 (tapered pipe thread) hole like the later kicker covers had in them for oil level indicating. When the oil starts creeping out the hole bottom, you're good.

Bill

:agree: That is the easiest way to do it and have it right everytime.
Tom

76shuvlinoff

Quote from: Wiseguy on October 07, 2018, 05:36:45 PM

Bill

I've often thought about doing that to my primary..
Critics are men who watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors.
 - Ernest Hemingway

xlfan

The guy reported back one quart total, after taking off end cover and making a mark on the dipstick according to halfway up the gear diameter.