March 29, 2024, 12:13:11 AM

News:

sumping

Started by JohnFlorida, October 14, 2018, 12:44:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JohnFlorida

I dont get a chance to take the shovel out much and it sits for at least a month between starts. Oil tank ends up empty and i kick for a half hour into a container then fill the tank everytime before I ride it. It sumps at least a quart or more.  I've lapped the seat and no help. I've been clamping off the oil supply line with vice grips but If I put them on tight enough to shut off the flow its going to end up collapsing the line eventually. I've heard of putting a shutoff valve inline and hanging a flag off it to remind me to turn it on. I think I'm going to go that route but I'm not sure what valve or where to buy. I dont want something that will restrict oil flow. Anyone whos done this and can point me in the right direction?

Ohio HD

Why not replace the pump?

JohnFlorida

I could but they all sump to a certain degree over time

HarleyCharley

Try re-seating the check ball and clean the tappet screen.

76shuvlinoff

14 years since I installed the S&S long block, this year it finally sumped. I assume it was because I didn't even burn a full tank of gas this year.

I always thought sumping was a check ball thing, not a pump thing?
Critics are men who watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors.
 - Ernest Hemingway

Ohio HD

The check ball seats in the pump body. The seat gets dirty, gets a shellac buildup, and wears and causes oil to leak by.

Scott Palmer made a cutter to actually restore the seat to oem shape and angle.

JohnFlorida

I,ve rebuilt the pump ,Lapped the seat, reseated the ball, changed the ball , stretched the spring. Thanks for all the responses but I'm really just looking for an inline valve. I' ve seen photos of it working but dont know what valve was used. If the oil cant get to the check ball it cant leak

bagga

i drain the oil tank on my shovel if it's going to sit for awhile. i drain it into a jug and just pour it back in when i want to ride the bike. the only oil that sumps is what's left in the oil feed line.
1985 flhtc
1976 fxe

HotRodShovel

I put a vice grip on the feed line and gently pinch it if its going to sit for any amount of time without being started.   But Shovels sump if they sit, that's what they do.
Sometimes life is like trying to share a sandwich with Rosie O'Donnell. 
John

dirtymike

S&S oil pump. Ive tried many times to get a OEM oil pump to stop leaking or sumping with no luck since 1975. good luck. If you get to stop let me know what you did.

Hillside Motorcycle

S&S has?/used to offer, a cutter that you could re-machine that sealing surface.
Got one here.
Otto Knowbetter sez, "Even a fish wouldn't get caught if he kept his mouth shut"

JW113

While you're saving for that new S&S oil pump, perhaps try this:

[attach=0]

And probably want to make a keychain fob out of it with the ignition key on it!

-JW
2004 FLHRS   1977 FLH Shovelhead  1992 FLSTC
1945 Indian Chief   1978 XL Bobber

JohnFlorida

I like that. Where did you find it? I talked to a guy a few years ago who put in a valve like a fuel petcock inline then hung an aircraft preflight tag off it to remember to switch it on. I'd like to find out which vave he used. 70 w already flows slow on startup and I dont want to make it worse with a valve that restricts

JohnFlorida

Something like this[attachimg=1]

Hybredhog

Quote from: JW113 on October 15, 2018, 08:36:45 AM

[attach=0]

-JW

most auto parts stores have these clamps on their nitch tool boards
'01 FXDXT, '99 FXDL/XRD, '76 FLH

david lee

Quote from: jeffscycle on October 15, 2018, 10:17:33 AM
Quote from: JW113 on October 15, 2018, 08:36:45 AM

[attach=0]

-JW

most auto parts stores have these clamps on their nitch tool boards
a good simple fix if you remember to turn it on . but to me id want the problem fixed properly

Ohio HD

That valve is just one more place to spring an oil leak from.

JohnFlorida

https://www.oldbritts.com/13_400001.html[attach=0]    Heres what the norton guys use

HarleyCharley

Perhaps most riders will remember to remove the clamp or turn the valve on but, to me, either one is a possible source for catastrophe. Just my .02.

charley

76shuvlinoff

:agree:
If I can screw it up I will.  Making a clamp a key fob is about the only way the mill would survive.  My problem is I don't think I've seen the shovel key for years.
Critics are men who watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors.
 - Ernest Hemingway

tmwmoose

How about popping the feed line off the pump and slip a plug/bolt up in it when not in use

JohnFlorida

That can get messy. I ordered a clamp like the one pictured above that doesnt chew up the hose

koko3052

Even that one will eventually split the hose. :embarrassed:

JW113

Yes, but certainly don't make a clap a long term plan. Best put your order in to Santa soon for that new oil pump, Christmas is just around the corner...

-JW
2004 FLHRS   1977 FLH Shovelhead  1992 FLSTC
1945 Indian Chief   1978 XL Bobber

dirtymike

Ride the *hit out of it for a few months and it will stop puking sump oil. Dirty