April 20, 2024, 02:17:53 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

trans shaft end play

Started by a_disalvo, October 23, 2018, 06:22:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

a_disalvo

Chasing oil leak on my 1979 4 speed. With the sprocket off the trans, I can move the main shaft in and out about 1/32". There is no side to side play. Is this normal? Thanks, Frank

guppymech

There's a large ball bearing on the kicker side of the mainshaft and there should  be zero endplay in that bearing, so no, the play yours has is not normal.
'84 FXE, '02 883R

96flhpi

The fact you mention the sprocket makes me wonder if you're moving the drive gear or the mainshaft.  Some play in drive gear thats not torqued with sprocket is normal, mainshaft play isn't

a_disalvo

I guess it's the drive gear, the collar fits over it. I installed the collar that has the O ring machined into it, but trans is still leaking oil. Can you double up on the lip seal that goes around the collar? Thanks, Frank

96flhpi

If the drive gear bushing is worn it'll never seal and all other fixes are bandaids until that issue is addressed.  The drive gear sits on the mainshaft and if the bushing is worn it allows it to tilt enough that the seal you're referring to can't do it's job.

I was able to fit two seals in an Andrews main drive gear but there are different seals, one is deeper than the other.  Can't remember which is which, one was shovel one EVO maybe?  The spacer with the o-ring works great but you gotta get that bushing to spec or it'll still leak.

Look up saddlbagrail, member here.  He makes the spacers with the o-rings and has done 4 sp rebuild threads, if not here then on shovelhead USA forum

96flhpi

Just re-read your post - I was talking about the seals in the drive gear, not the large one around the collar. 

a_disalvo

I cannot feel any side to side end play in the shaft or main drive gear,. At one point, there was silicone around the metal part of the seal to the trans body, but I didn't reapply when I installed the O ring collar. I will the next time I take it apart!