April 18, 2024, 08:10:49 PM

News:

Something is moving

Started by mplecha, October 24, 2018, 01:35:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mplecha

78 FLH. I have a 2" bdl kit on the bike. I've ridden it many troublefree miles. Monday, when I got to work, I noticed my belt had walked inboard. I slid it back out to where it normally rides and figured I may have bumped it over or something. On the way home, I noticed it walking back toward the engine (on both ends) when I coast in gear. As soon as I accelerated, it moved back to normal. This tells me something is throwing the alignment off. I checked the mounts for tightness and all is normal. I have a plate from fabkevin holding the setup in alignment and that's still fine, too. Unfortunately, I haven't had more time to dig into it since. Everything still feels tight. My belt tension hasn't changed. Pulley alignment is still good. It doesn't feel like my clutch hub is wobbling at all.

What could this be? I won't get to tear into it until Friday, but I'm curious of what I should look for. Maybe the woodruff key sheared? I don't feel any wobble, but something has to be changing under load. Any experience with this before? Thanks

motorplex88

I would remove the belt and then re-check for movement in the clutch basket. Taking the tension off might reveal some movement as it would not take much for the belt to walk around.

mplecha

must have been my drive sprocket. I removed the belt, felt no slop in the clutch and reassembled. all is good now.