April 23, 2024, 04:04:11 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

New Bassani for High power Dyna and FXR

Started by Good_Apollo, November 06, 2017, 08:11:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Good_Apollo

I have been in contact back and forth about this pipe with Bassani for some time. They haven't released any media about it yet, but I was able to pre-order based on the drag number for the dyna model 1800-2229

I'll be putting it on my Don built 120r fat bob, replacing a RB racing pipe that has no low end.

Will post more pics once it is all mounted up.

Also looks like somebody is selling it on ebay already as well, just search for the drag number above.

drag
description
vendor_part_number
1800-2229     
EXHAUST 2:1 SS HI-HP FXD
1D3SS

1800-2230     
EXHAUST 2:1 SS HI-HP FXR
1FXR2SS

turboprop

I would be interested to see a dyno comparison between the two pipes.
'We' like this' - Said by the one man operation.

TheDog

N-gin

I know a few guys in Michigan running them on there 110s and 103. Some on the east coast as well.  They like them.
Also the sound if fantastic. More boomy then the Boarzilla I have.
Couple of broken brackets though, however Bassanni took care of them no questions asked.

I'd like to know the head pipe diameter.
I'm not here cause of a path before me, Im here cause of the burnout left behind

Good_Apollo

Quote from: N-gin on November 06, 2017, 09:26:16 AM
I know a few guys in Michigan running them on there 110s and 103. Some on the east coast as well.  They like them.
Also the sound if fantastic. More boomy then the Boarzilla I have.
Couple of broken brackets though, however Bassanni took care of them no questions asked.

I'd like to know the head pipe diameter.

I'll verify when I unwrap it, but what they told me in email was 3-step 1-3/4" just at the port, then steps to 1-7/8 then to 2"

Not the same as the normal Road Rage 3 that is a two step pipe.

Good_Apollo

Quote from: turboprop on November 06, 2017, 08:39:31 AM

Guessing I'll lose a chunk of HP and pick up torque quite a bit earlier than 3200ish rpm, I'm running a custom made LSR that is 2" all the way to the ports, not stepped anywhere.

1FSTRK

Quote from: Good_Apollo on November 06, 2017, 09:43:11 AM

Guessing I'll lose a chunk of HP and pick up torque quite a bit earlier than 3200ish rpm, I'm running a custom made LSR that is 2" all the way to the ports, not stepped anywhere.

Sound good , what are the rest of the build specs and will you be able to run back to back dyno runs and share them with us?
"Never hang on to a mistake just because you spent time or money making it."

Good_Apollo

120r 10.9:1 - .010 over HD pistons. Tman 590 - Heads cleaned up by Don, no port work, just a cleanup and valve job and some softer springs, Darkhorse bottom with timken, HPI 58mm and Overflow AC

I won't be able to do back-to-back and will likely just use the TargetTune for a few weeks until I can get back to the tuner. At that point I plan on ditching the target tune all together and having them dial it in with just the powervision. I only have SAE sheet from the first run with the RB pipe, I'll look for it. Made really big HP and good TQ as well, but it was all top end.

Nastytls

1800-2229 doesn't pop up in the Drag catalog...

I'm not happy with the B-1 results, I think it holding back my top end hp.

calgary56

Engine is 2016 S&S 111"
Bore: 4.125" X Stroke: 4.125"
Compression: 9.8:1
S&S 585 cams
HPI-58D1-18 Delphi 58mm Throttle Body
HPI-DINJ-2 Injectors; 5.3 grams per second, Provides a fuel delivery rate of 4.3gps (33.3lbs/h)
Open Intake - K&N Round Filter
HP - 127   //   TQ - 124 Bassani B1 <-- current exhaust
HP - 119   //   TQ - 119 Bassani Road Rage <--- blew the baffle out of it
Live Long, ... Out Ride the Reaper !

FLDavetrain

Quote from: Nastytls on November 06, 2017, 11:57:57 AM

Agree. B1 seems to shine in the mid range. And although my 2" RB hasn't been tuned fully yet I can tell it won't run out of steam
currently 510ci on tap

Good_Apollo

I got the numbers directly from Bassani a month or so ago and then had my buddy who is a drag dealer place a pre-order. I haven't seen it advertised yet but it showed up at my door

Nastytls

calif phil

They are in stock at Drag now. 

Nastytls

It's on their website now. Looks like it steps up to 2" where the B1 only steps to 1 7/8. I wonder if that really improves things over the B1? It still starts out at 1 3/4, where bagger pipes like the boarzilla start at 1 7/8.

gordonr

Quote from: Good_Apollo on November 06, 2017, 09:43:11 AM

I don't think so. You should pick it up all the way through. 2" primary's are way to big for almost anything.
"If was easy everyone would do it"

harleytuner

I'm doing a,124 build in a FXR right now, it's   between this pipe and a Sawicki.  I'm pushing him to go this one.

Nastytls

Quote from: harleytuner on December 01, 2017, 06:59:27 PM
I'm doing a,124 build in a FXR right now, it's   between this pipe and a Sawicki.  I'm pushing him to go this one.

Being someone that does this for a living, why the this Bassani over the Sawicki or even a Boarzilla? The Sawicki steps up from 1 7/8 - 2'' - 2.5'' where as the Bassani starts at 1 3/4 and maxes out at 2''.

Just trying to understand.

turboprop

The wait for a Sawicki pipe can be lengthy. Have a close friend that paid in full two years ago, still hasn't received his pipe. Every couple of month he will enquire and Tyler will tell him one more month. Tyler burned me as well, but as bad. Within the FXR community, Tyler does not have a good rep. The fact that bigger name builders are able to get his pipes for their show bikes is telling. It appears not all pigs are equal with Tyler.

The Bassani pipe was developed with my friend's (David B) TC124 equipped FXR. He said there were at least ten prototypes made with different specs. The final design should work very well on most 124" engines.

FWIW, Darryl Bassani is currently building a FXR/124" for himself.

harleytuner

Quote from: Nastytls on December 02, 2017, 09:26:23 AM

Being someone that does this for a living, why the this Bassani over the Sawicki or even a Boarzilla? The Sawicki steps up from 1 7/8 - 2'' - 2.5'' where as the Bassani starts at 1 3/4 and maxes out at 2''.

Those are the 2 pipes the customer is interested in.  And as turbo alluded to, it's not worth the BS to get a Sawicki.  I do have a,distributor that shows,black in stock but he wants Stainless

harleytuner

Quote from: turboprop on December 02, 2017, 10:40:08 AM

The wait for a Sawicki pipe can be lengthy. Have a close friend that paid in full two years ago, still hasn't received his pipe. Every couple of month he will enquire and Tyler will tell him one more month. Tyler burned me as well, but as bad. Within the FXR community, Tyler does not have a good rep. The fact that bigger name builders are able to get his pipes for their show bikes is telling. It appears not all pigs are equal with Tyler.

The Bassani pipe was developed with my friend's (David B) TC124 equipped FXR. He said there were at least ten prototypes made with different specs. The final design should work very well on most 124" engines.

Ive never used the Basanni in an FXR but if like to,  I heard a lot of work went into it.

turboprop

Quote from: Nastytls on December 02, 2017, 09:26:23 AM

The Boarzilla pipe is not available for the FXR.

RXBOB

SPF do FXR pipes, cant go wrong with SPF

Barrett

Do any Harley exhaust systems show flow numbers for their products to see how they compare?

HD/Wrench

well there are people that build other pipes .. Even right here in little ole TX   :wink: You know who I am talking about

harleytuner

Looks like my customer is going with the Road Rage III (Stainless).

turboprop

Quote from: GMR-PERFORMANCE on December 04, 2017, 01:39:01 PM

well there are people that build other pipes .. Even right here in little ole TX   :wink: You know who I am talking about

I do and I really like him both as a person and as a welder. I hope you are doing your best to teach, coach and mentor him on the design/performance aspect.

Nastytls

Is this someone that builds custom performance pipes? Do they have a website you could share?

HD/Wrench

Quote from: turboprop on December 04, 2017, 05:34:07 PM

I do and I really like him both as a person and as a welder. I hope you are doing your best to teach, coach and mentor him on the design/performance aspect.

I show him what they make for power and explain what is should have been. The last one was a EVO pipe  killer work tons of pie cuts but it failed to pull the HP number Tq curve was good but rather odd.. Hard to say what went wrong really I gave him a few ideas on what to try .. Seemed too small in my opinion , but it did tune well and thats a plus. I cannot say that for all the pipes I ahve tuned a  Sawicki and it tuned ok fit like  "Potty mouth" , did not make any more power than a off the shelf pipe.. Really fit poorly . End cap holes not machined properly once you installed it no way to get the billet cap out.. I had to re drill holes , as well the bracket for lower mounting would not line up.. I sent him video of it he got back to me once but nothing after that .. Just blew me off .   As for custom pipes i have a 143 here that we are altering ..  It would be a great chance for him to look at what we have what it makes and see if he can improve upon that .. Not a huge seller but then agan D&D is the only mass produces pipe right now  HPI does not have the bagger pipe done at this point and not sure they will ...  Been waiting takes time for sure .

HD/Wrench

turboprop

92flhtcu

Anyone on here have experience with Two Brothers racing's Comp-S for the FXR's?
Need a bigger garage

HD/Wrench

Quote from: 92flhtcu on December 08, 2017, 06:05:24 AM

no steps no merge ..  on a 110 drop on kit it made less than just about any other combo I have done .

turboprop

You mean the one with the collector located in front of the mid control?

92flhtcu

Thanks Steve, maybe when they get the Gen-II out fopr the FXR it will be better, the Dyna guys love the Gen-II, but I have not had any experience with it yet

Again, thanks
Need a bigger garage

harleytuner

Quote from: harleytuner on December 04, 2017, 03:20:30 PM

OK that changed, now we are going with the Trask Assualt 2:1.

HD/Wrench

Quote from: turboprop on December 08, 2017, 06:58:24 AM

The bassani with road rage II B1 is not a great pipe either .. The Longer version works much better from what I have tuned

Barrett

Quote from: harleytuner on December 08, 2017, 07:18:21 AM

That pipe looks good but it says it's good to 120HP.
I'll be needing a new system for my 117". I have a ProPipe now.
I like how the RRIII looks. 

harleytuner

Quote from: Barrett on December 08, 2017, 08:46:23 AM
Quote from: harleytuner on December 08, 2017, 07:18:21 AM

That pipe looks good but it says it's good to 120HP.
I'll be needing a new system for my 117". I have a ProPipe now.
I like how the RRIII looks.

Well damn, thanks for pointing that out, I didn't see that claim anywhere.  A little research is in order :emoGroan:

turboprop

Quote from: GMR-PERFORMANCE on December 08, 2017, 07:22:41 AM

The bassani with road rage II B1 is not a great pipe either .. The Longer version works much better from what I have tuned

Bassani recently released a new pipe specifically for 124" TC engines in an FXR frame. A friend of mine in the FXR community volunteered his bike for the fitting and testing and was on site for many of the dyno pulls that were made  with the various designs. I forget the name of the pipe but think it has High Output in its name. I have only seen pics of it in stainless and IMO, it looks very attractive and appears to have have the necessary design features to support a high flowing big block. I should have one here this month and promised Darryl I would give him a dyno sheet showing A-B comparisons between it and my Guppy pipe on the 124" Smack-A-Hoe engine.

Barrett

turboprop

Don D

turboprop

Quote from: HD Street Performance on December 08, 2017, 11:05:39 AM
That is a great looking pipe

Yea, Darryl did this one right. There were a bunch of prototype pipes with different dimensions that were tested not he dyno. I think the people at Feuling were involved. Several of my buddies with big block FXRs already have one of these pipes and have reported that they fit very well. Unfortunately, none of them have any dyno data of any real value (A picture of half the dyno screen is of little to no value IMO).

HD/Wrench

His new S&S for the bagger worked great . Straight muffler not megaphone I was very impressed with that one .

Nastytls

Quote from: turboprop on December 08, 2017, 10:15:00 AM

Bassani recently released a new pipe specifically for 124" TC engines in an FXR frame. A friend of mine in the FXR community volunteered his bike for the fitting and testing and was on site for many of the dyno pulls that were made  with the various designs. I forget the name of the pipe but think it has High Output in its name. I have only seen pics of it in stainless and IMO, it looks very attractive and appears to have have the necessary design features to support a high flowing big block. I should have one here this month and promised Darryl I would give him a dyno sheet showing A-B comparisons between it and my Guppy pipe on the 124" Smack-A-Hoe engine.

Are you unhappy with your Guppy? Do you think it will perform close to your Guppy?

turboprop

Quote from: Nastytls on December 08, 2017, 02:32:32 PM
Quote from: turboprop on December 08, 2017, 10:15:00 AM

Are you unhappy with your Guppy? Do you think it will perform close to your Guppy?

Absolutely not unhappy with my Guppy. Nothing could be further from the truth.

Unfortunately, I have three FXRs, all with 124" engines and only one Guppy pipe.

As for comparisons of the two pipes. Hard to say. The new Bassani pipe is going on a bike that has a very different engine package than the 124" Smack-A-Hoe that the Guppy is on. I plan to do the A-B comparisons eventually on all three engines.

Nastytls

Ahh, I see. Any chance you could post the before and after here?

Too bad Guppies aren't available anymore, it would solve a lot of issues for Dyna riders.

92flhtcu

That Bassani looks pretty sweet, and thats coming from a guy that does not sell that brand
Need a bigger garage

HD/Wrench

FXDBI

This is a picture of a turbo set up done by Unobtainium welding up here in Alberta. They are doing this for Calgary Harley Davidson for the bike show.  Bob

1FSTRK

You have to love show bikes. The guy will probably claim he rides that 6-7000 miles a year but unless his leg looks like a well done roast I would not believe him.
"Never hang on to a mistake just because you spent time or money making it."

HD/Wrench

that pipe does look like it would radiate some heat onto your inner leg.. 

harleytuner

The Basanni III showed up today.  Looks nice

N-gin

short pipes never work well, at least IMO. Sawiki, TBR, all dip heavy. Ill stick with my Borezilla. I would definatly like to see the results of the Bassanni III
I'm not here cause of a path before me, Im here cause of the burnout left behind

harleytuner

Quote from: N-gin on December 14, 2017, 01:18:37 AM
short pipes never work well, at least IMO. Sawiki, TBR, all dip heavy. Ill stick with my Borezilla. I would definatly like to see the results of the Bassanni III

It'll be awhile to get the dyno results for me. The frame is off to the powder coasters, waiting on a,few more parts to show up. Amd there's still parts,decisions that haven't been made.  I have the crate 124 in, Baker 6 speed, pipe, clutch is coming,  front end is on its way but not sure when it'll get here.  Still need to decide on what chain drive to use.   It'll be awhile yet.   Otta not a top priority job neither.  I have a lot of builds going and work on this as I feel like it.  I'm posting pics, on Instagram

N-gin

Quote from: harleytuner on December 14, 2017, 04:19:41 AM
Quote from: N-gin on December 14, 2017, 01:18:37 AM

It'll be awhile to get the dyno results for me. The frame is off to the powder coasters, waiting on a,few more parts to show up. Amd there's still parts,decisions that haven't been made.  I have the crate 124 in, Baker 6 speed, pipe, clutch is coming,  front end is on its way but not sure when it'll get here.  Still need to decide on what chain drive to use.   It'll be awhile yet.   Otta not a top priority job neither.  I have a lot of builds going and work on this as I feel like it.  I'm posting pics, on Instagram

I have a chain drive. went with PBI spockets and a Vulcan works spacer. My chain is the Black and Gold 3D.

I do have extra set off my 09 Dyna, trans sprocket .5in 24T, and a rear 54T steel, I have the Vulcan spacer too. its all collecting dust on the shelf looking for a good home. Only put 3500 miles on it till I decided to go to a touring cush drive, and chain conversion.

motolocopat

Any updates/new experiences on this pipe or others for a 110"-124" Dyna?
MotoLocoPat  2015 FLTRXS, 2013FLHX, 2010FXDF
2006 Ducati S2R1000, 2004 KTM950

Sambo62

I have short RR2 (for 13.5" shocks) and just had my engine built and tuned.  Based on discussions and comparisons to other similar builds, there is a torque hit down low but 3k and above it really starts to come in and makes power out to 6k.  Speaking to the builder and tuner, a longer pipe would have helped in the 2-3.5k range.

Having said that, I am not at all unhappy with the results.  Picking up bike tomorrow and will post before and after results in dyno section when I have time.

FLDavetrain

I have the  newer 3 stepped big motor version. On my second one however. Install was effortless but developed a significant crack at the O2 sensor bung weld, front pipe  right at the heavy bend of pipe. They sent new header no charge. Hopefully just a bad weld and not design flaw. Bike is 124 with very good torque curve into high 140's.
currently 510ci on tap

ndmp40

Quote from: Good_Apollo on November 06, 2017, 08:11:53 AM
I have been in contact back and forth about this pipe with Bassani for some time. They haven't released any media about it yet, but I was able to pre-order based on the drag number for the dyna model 1800-2229

I'll be putting it on my Don built 120r fat bob, replacing a RB racing pipe that has no low end.

Will post more pics once it is all mounted up.

Also looks like somebody is selling it on ebay already as well, just search for the drag number above.

drag
description
vendor_part_number
1800-2229     
EXHAUST 2:1 SS HI-HP FXD
1D3SS

1800-2230     
EXHAUST 2:1 SS HI-HP FXR
1FXR2SS

What is the OD of the collector where it connects to the megaphone muffler?

Can you post of picuture of the backside of the muffler showing the mounting flange?

Thanks in advance.

CVOKing

The real fix for the soft low end is quit messing with them short pipes. Throw a zilla on it