March 28, 2024, 11:31:23 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

88" to 95" build - tools required?

Started by chris.m.j, October 26, 2018, 06:30:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chris.m.j

January 29, 2019, 11:08:58 AM #25 Last Edit: January 29, 2019, 12:35:58 PM by chris.m.j
Quote from: PoorUB on January 28, 2019, 05:22:09 PM
Quote from: chris.m.j on January 28, 2019, 11:19:38 AM

The only thing I wish I would have had was a connecting rod busing remover. I struggled with that and ended up tapping it out with a soft mallet and socket. How terrible is that? Are the connecting rods/bushings/etc messed up now? I wasn't swinging for the fences but I really regret being impatient with that and not just making one like others have.

Do you mean the wrist pin?

I hope like hell you didn't drive the bushings out of the top end of the connecting rods!

I do mean the wrist pin, not the bushing. Did I make a big mistake not pressing those out? Do I need to repair the crank or check anything?

I sure feel dumb not being more patient with this. I didnt even need them out, it was the last step of disassembly.

(Edited: i misunderstood the previous reply.)

smoserx1

January 29, 2019, 12:58:59 PM #26 Last Edit: January 29, 2019, 01:03:02 PM by smoserx1
QuoteI do mean the wrist pin, not the bushing. Did I make a big mistake not pressing those out? Do I need to repair the crank or check anything?

I sure feel dumb not being more patient with this. I didnt even need them out, it was the last step of disassembly.

OK, the wrist pin HAS to come out to get the pistons off the connecting rod.  A bushing will remain in the connecting rod.  So did you remove both the wrist pin AND the bushing, or just the wrist pin?  In my one time experience the wrist pin was not a very tight fit.  I did press it out with a tool I made from PVC pipe, threaded rod and a few nuts and washers.  When I installed the new pistons (which included NEW wrist pins), I could do it with my fingers and did not need the tool.  In the first reply to you I showed you a link to a tool to remove/install the wrist pin.  In the second I showed you a tool to  remove and install the BUSHING.  If all you have removed so far is the wrist pin, chances you did not have to tap too hard to get it out (lets hope so).

Next step I would to is attempt to wiggle each rod laterally (side to side) and then up and down.  ANY discernible play likely means the rods  big end (the end that connects to the crankpin using a bearing) is compromised and that crank has to come out and be serviced or replaced.  It is not serviceable by a do-it-yourselfer at all.  However if you find no play, visually inspect the rods  for any signs of lateral bending from the tapping you did.  If the rod visually looks straight I would go ahead and assemble the top end.  I would surmise that if the rod(s) were  bent laterally the cylinders would NOT slide down easily over the studs and allow the piston to enter the bottom of the bore., But, I may be wrong on this assumption.  Keep your fingers crossed and hope for the best.

chris.m.j

January 29, 2019, 04:19:19 PM #27 Last Edit: January 29, 2019, 04:24:06 PM by chris.m.j
Just the wrist pin, not the bushing. Just tapping with a soft mallet. Nothing crazy but there was a little resistance.  I'll check the connecting rods to see what kind of play there is.