March 28, 2024, 04:38:46 PM

News:

lifter or push rod noise

Started by tenorhog, January 09, 2019, 11:04:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Boe Cole

Rest of the story -
Pulled a rod and found that it's 24tpi - not 32.  To get a .120 preload, it works out to 2.9 turns which is why my previously using 2.5 turns worked out as well as it did.  I'm going to readjust to 3 turns and button it back up.

Thanks all for the lessons on lifters.
We never really grow up, we only learn how to act in public.

doctorevil

Glad i could help.We all learn more everyday on this forum.I am learning alot fallowing the cam duration bias thread.Some great guys here contributing there knowledge.

tenorhog

UPDATE:
Thanks all for a very informative and interesting thread:
Seems like I got it running well!! Using Woods Lifters, and Bob Woods suggested 3 full turns plus two sides.
It took me two times, but I got it. runs quiet now and so far so good. Haven't been able to take it out for a longer ride yet though.  Ben

kd

Quote from: tenorhog on January 09, 2019, 11:04:17 AM
2005 Springer Softail classic, carb

Just had a cam job done
woods 555
woods lifters
SE adj. pushrods, new tensioners, cam plate, oil pump

Bike sounded great after tune, drove it for 20 min, and sounds very clanky in push rod area of front cylinder. I also noted that the push rods on my 08 Dyna seem to be very tight and I can barely wiggle them, as apposed to the new ones in this softail that I can wiggle by hand...I assume I can adjust those? or is there a break intake for the lifters that would case the noice? My mechanic actually doesn't like the SE push rods and thinks they are hard to adjust. COULD I JUST DO THIS EASILY??
Thanks!! Ben

Are you saying the "builder" you used to do the "cam job" blew it on setting the pushrods or was it locking them down?
KD

tenorhog

Not sure. However, when I took off the covers one seemed a bit loose. Wiggly.
BB

tenorhog

OK all,  CRAP.

Same problem. After re-adjusting the push rods, all was great a few rides around town. Yesterday took bike out for about an hour, and then bike started getting loud in front cylinder push rod area. Back is fine.

This is BS, I will take it back to 'builder' but any ideas??

Just had a cam job done
woods 555
woods Alpha lifters

kd

Quote from: tenorhog on January 21, 2019, 08:14:03 AM
OK all,  CRAP.

Same problem. After re-adjusting the push rods, all was great a few rides around town. Yesterday took bike out for about an hour, and then bike started getting loud in front cylinder push rod area. Back is fine.

This is BS, I will take it back to 'builder' but any ideas??

Just had a cam job done
woods 555
woods Alpha lifters

Check the lock nut on the pushrod.  They are notorious for cracking.
KD

1FSTRK

A little brakleen to get the oil off when you have the pushrods adjusted and you can use a paint pen to make a line from the pushrod straight down the lock nut and onto the adjuster, then later you can tell at a glance if anything moved while running.
"Never hang on to a mistake just because you spent time or money making it."

tenorhog

Interesting thing...It is only making noises when really Hot!! Just started it up and went to work, it sounds fine...
5 min ride.
Thanks everyone for your help.BB

1FSTRK

Quote from: tenorhog on January 21, 2019, 01:04:33 PM
Interesting thing...It is only making noises when really Hot!! Just started it up and went to work, it sounds fine...
5 min ride.

What are you running for engine oil?
What ignition are you running?

tenorhog

Dyna tech TC88  Ignition.
Not sure what oil he put in. I usually run synthetic 20-60 aims

itsafatboy

I have woods lifters adjust to .120 works well I like them since they have the extra oil feed for the needle bearings on the lifter, probably a pushrod cam loose or not adjusted right , woods lifters are nice wouldn't change . woods cams can be noisey I run his 9BG and they are ok , the W8G are very loud , I also run gear drive

kd

5 min ride.

How deep did you set them?  Remember that your barrels will grow about .060  taller when hot.  If they were not set deep enough they could rattle at top temperature but not before they peak.
KD

Rockout Rocker Products

Quote from: tenorhog on January 21, 2019, 02:11:11 PM
Dyna tech TC88  Ignition.
Not sure what oil he put in. I usually run synthetic 20-60 aims
Try Spectro 25-60 dino oil.... when it comes to noise there is nothing better.  :up:
www.rockout.biz Stop the top end TAPPING!!

1FSTRK

Have you considered  or ruled this out?

Quote from: Rockout Rocker Products on January 09, 2019, 12:19:05 PM
Could be rocker shaft noise... there is a cure  :smiled:

tenorhog

Quote from: kd on January 21, 2019, 05:13:33 PM
5 min ride.

How deep did you set them?  Remember that your barrels will grow about .060  taller when hot.  If they were not set deep enough they could rattle at top temperature but not before they peak.

3 full turns plus 2 sides, as Bob woods recommended.

kd

KD

tenorhog

kd

They are 32 tpi. .... 32 tpi equals .0301" deep per turn. .... 4 turns and 3 flats .140" deep.  Most recommend .140 deep.  The lifters have about .200 travel.   When hot the barrels grow approximately.060 so the .140 will be .100 to .080 deep.   You have them set at .100 deep and they are OK until they get hot and the cylinders grow.  Technically they could now be at .040.  I would try the 4 turns and 3 flats at .140 and give it a try.  Here's some pushrod info for you to confirm the measurement for your peace of mind.

https://www.sscycle.com/tech-info/instructions-data/pushrod-adjustment
KD

Chippitt68

My screaming eagle adjustables are 24 tpi.  :scratch:

Gsbuick65

Quote from: moose on January 09, 2019, 12:02:17 PM
2 other things to check make sure the push rod is not hitting the top of the tube you will see rubmarks on the pushrod if it is

another noise could be rocker arm noise   check rocker lockers   they are supporters here

yea the lockers quited mine down
2011 103 s&s 570s, powervision
Rinehart true duals, southaven Ms.

doctorevil

There are no barrels growing .060" that is just confusing him.

kd

January 22, 2019, 08:11:00 AM #47 Last Edit: January 22, 2019, 11:48:44 AM by kd

deleted
KD

No Cents

Quote from: Chippitt68 on January 22, 2019, 02:55:33 AM
My screaming eagle adjustables are 24 tpi.  :scratch:

:agree:   the SE p/rods that I have installed in the past have had a 24 tpi.
The Smith Brothers p/rods that I run in my bike have a 32 tpi.
08 FLHX my grocery getter, 124ci, wfolarry 110" heads, Burns pipe, 158/152 sae

dave brode

Imo, fwiw,

Imo, you could run anywhere from 1 turn down from zero lash to 1/2 turn from bottomed. I have run as little as .025" preload [LESS than 1 turn] and it was as quiet as running .100" down. The cylinders may indeed grow, but the pushrods must too. Back in the early 2000s, we [on the early HTT] chased "lifter" noise. Someone heater various parts in an oven, and it was determined that growth was a non issue. [might have been BHKen]

I have run 1/2 turn from bottomed, both with and w/o limiters, and there is a bit of noise, or a bit more noise, if you prefer. The 251s aren't silent, but it's not bad with limiters.   

This is with Crane 10530 lifters, SE251s, slightly over-sprung with Manley duals. I can't remember the thread pitch on my pushrods. It's really a moot point anyway, as the difference in 1 turn of preload with 24 tpi and 32 tpi is just 11 thou. 

Dave