March 28, 2024, 10:04:19 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Lack of power

Started by Gsbuick65, January 20, 2019, 08:39:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gsbuick65

Quote from: fleetmechanic on January 22, 2019, 08:32:48 PM
Quote from: Jamie Long on January 21, 2019, 02:34:36 PM
I've seen an assortment of bikes with these types of issues; connector issues at the throttle body, twist grip related issues, broken MAP sensor wires, faulty VSS, are just a few potential areas. Have you checked the stored DTC's?
We have 3-2011 police bikes that are all stock but had some running issues and in all cases they were related to the first 3 wiring items mentioned here.
how did you go about finding the problem?
2011 103 s&s 570s, powervision
Rinehart true duals, southaven Ms.

fleetmechanic

January 30, 2019, 10:04:57 AM #26 Last Edit: January 30, 2019, 04:32:27 PM by fleetmechanic
Most of our problems were eventually found by continuity testing in the wiring.  Failing or broken wires at the MAP sensor plug on two of them and pinched throttle wires next to the frame neck on another one.  On the first one the dealer replaced the TCA connector pins thinking maybe fretting corrosion and then I replaced the throttle body before finding the failing wire problem at the MAP plug.

sfmichael

can't beat experience

fuelmoto / fleetmech   :up: :up:
Colorado Springs, CO.

Otter656

I had a cylinder head temp sensor go bad on my old Softail...I seem to remember it had intermittent bogging/loss of acceleration, but might have been more severe than what you are experiencing (can't trust me memory too much these days). I don't know if it threw any codes cuz I had an aftermarket speedo that didn't give that info. Anywho, its a relatively cheap and easy part to swap out. Hope you figure it out...

86fxwg

No codes! Anyone Check fuel pressure?

86fxwg 06flhx 10flhx

Sycho01

My thoughts exactly. Faulty pump, fuel pressure regulator, plastic fuel pressure hose(pinhole) , faulty vacuum operated fuel peacock, bad electrical connection.
Does the engine bog with a full fuel tank or a partial fuel tank?
I have seen many new, dealer and non dealer parts defective right out of the box. Don't discount a new or rebuilt part being bad. I have learned that lesson the hard way more than once.
Good luck, hope you find the problem quickly.

fleetmechanic

Quote from: Sycho01 on February 03, 2019, 06:23:37 AM
My thoughts exactly. Faulty pump, fuel pressure regulator, plastic fuel pressure hose(pinhole) , faulty vacuum operated fuel peacock, bad electrical connection.
I have seen many new, dealer and non dealer parts defective right out of the box. Don't discount a new or rebuilt part being bad. I have learned that lesson the hard way more than once.

On one of our first ones with the problem I saw the fuel regulator spraying fuel inside the tank which turned out to be normal, checked fuel pressure, hoses and went all around the world before finding a broken end making intermittent contact on the ground wire at the MAP sensor plug.  The electrical stuff can send you in many wrong directions.

Sycho01

Has the throttle body been cleaned? Dirty or sluggish Iac?

Gsbuick65

Quote from: 86fxwg on February 01, 2019, 01:03:02 PM
No codes! Anyone Check fuel pressure?

no codes other than abs

Gsbuick65

Quote from: fleetmechanic on February 03, 2019, 09:42:46 AM
Quote from: Sycho01 on February 03, 2019, 06:23:37 AM

On one of our first ones with the problem I saw the fuel regulator spraying fuel inside the tank which turned out to be normal, checked fuel pressure, hoses and went all around the world before finding a broken end making intermittent contact on the ground wire at the MAP sensor plug.  The electrical stuff can send you in many wrong directions.
i replaced the pump thinking the same thing, put a new pump in still did it so i cut the fuel line and put a tee and ran an external gauge, pressure stays at 58-60 whole time.

Gsbuick65

i just replaced the coil with comp fast coil and the temp sensor. it was warm enough Saturday to ride and its still doing it. to me it sounds like a cylinder is flat. the guy that put the cams in told me to bring it back, dont know if i should do that or take it to southern thunder Harley since they need to do the brake recall, i just hate to let so many different people work on it.

Sycho01

I would still clean the throttle body simply to rule it out. It is cheap to do and does not take long to do. A dirty throttle body won't throw a code.
After that I would wiggle test every wire and plug on the bike .
If the bike has to go in for service at Harley at least they have the right gear to test for the problem. Discuss how they charge for diagnostics beforehand so you don't get hosed.
Good luck.

Gsbuick65

Quote from: Sycho01 on February 07, 2019, 01:38:11 PM
I would still clean the throttle body simply to rule it out. It is cheap to do and does not take long to do. A dirty throttle body won't throw a code.
After that I would wiggle test every wire and plug on the bike .
If the bike has to go in for service at Harley at least they have the right gear to test for the problem. Discuss how they charge for diagnostics beforehand so you don't get hosed.
Good luck.
ok I did that last saturday, went down 55s got bike to 80 nailed it-took 10 seconds to get to 100. so i took it back to the shop told him, hes gonna look at it, ill let yall know

MikeL

ECU failing? Any way to swap it out with a known good one for a road test. It looks like you have done everything possible. Ask the Harley dealer they may do that.

MIKE

Gsbuick65

Quote from: MIKEL on February 11, 2019, 01:46:19 PM
ECU failing? Any way to swap it out with a known good one for a road test. It looks like you have done everything possible. Ask the Harley dealer they may do that.

MIKE
ill ask, he said something about trying another throttle body

MikeL

:dgust:???????Results :dgust:

MIKE

Gsbuick65

Quote from: MIKEL on March 04, 2019, 07:19:19 AM
:dgust:???????Results :dgust:

MIKE
nope, took it back to the shop, he couldn't find anything , Saturday they had a dyno shootout at southernthunder Harley, i entered since it was only $20 just to see what their dyno showed, put out 86 hp 95 tq, told him what it was doing and all ive done to it, he said start with a fuel pressure regulator so i got that with the money I won on the shootout  :smile: and another fuel filter

Gsbuick65

Quote from: MIKEL on February 11, 2019, 01:46:19 PM

he was gonna try that then he realized he would have to buy another license for the tune since its licensed to my ecm 

nutsandbolts5212

So, any word???

Ride safe!

Gsbuick65

Quote from: nutsandbolts5212 on March 14, 2019, 02:23:42 PM
So, any word???

Ride safe!

nope, i took it back to the guy that put the cams in, ran fine for him.  so far i havent been about to ride it enough to cause the problem.  I put it in the dyno shootout at southern thunder couple weeks ago, it put out 86 hp for him, i told him what is was doing and all i have replaced, he suggested fuel pressure regulator (letting it build pressure but not flow) since i replaced the pump and filter. but hey i won the dyno shootout so that paid for sum more parts, lol.

Gsbuick65

ok I replaced the fuel pressure regulator and filter, still does it.  im thinking its some sorta vacuum leak but i cant find one.  cause when its not running right my power vision shows my fuel mileage is about 5 mpg lower, Im guessing it gets its signal from vacuum?

PoorUB

Did you ever ohm out the wiring like Fleetmechanic mentioned?
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

Gsbuick65

Quote from: PoorUB on May 09, 2019, 10:30:12 AM
nope, wouldnt that throw a code?

JMHD

Quote from: Gsbuick65 on May 09, 2019, 11:50:55 AM
Quote from: PoorUB on May 09, 2019, 10:30:12 AM
nope, wouldnt that throw a code?
I have had a few of the map sensor wires broken inside the insulation as Jamie and fleet mechanic have mentioned that did not throw codes.

Gsbuick65

ok i checked the wiring from the map to the ecm, wiggled them around no lose of connection. so i checked the compression, 180 on from 135 on rear, put oil in rear 140, them i forgot to pull the exhaust fuse out, still 135. so is the compression release sticking?