March 29, 2024, 04:45:41 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

What's the feeling here on quick install pushrods, S&S Quickie or SE Tapered?

Started by klammer76, January 22, 2019, 11:23:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ohio HD

Quote from: Eglider05 on January 26, 2019, 06:52:57 PM
Quote from: Durwood on January 26, 2019, 06:21:32 AM
Next time you install an SE push rod, spin it with your fingers and you will see them wobble due to the hole not being drilled correctly. (I have a video of this somewhere on my phone).

The wobble, along with the overall thickness of the SE's are what promote push rod rub, and necessitate the use of machined upper push rod tubes.

Yep, had 4 out of 8 with the wobble, Smith Bros. from now on.

Rick

:up:   

PoorUB

After doing a few builds with adjustables, my preference is to order Smith push rods of the proper length. It takes a couple more days to order them and for them to show up, but one less thing to worry about.
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

chris.m.j

Quote from: Thermodyne on January 26, 2019, 08:17:20 AM

If you check the cam base, most will run with one of the SE tapered rod sets.  Past that, just use an adjustable rod to measure what's needed and custom rods are a week away.  In any length you want, for less than a set of adjustable rods.

For someone who doesn't have an adjustable rod laying around, is there another way to measure the custom rod length? Or should I order a set that I plan on returning?

PoorUB

Quote from: chris.m.j on February 04, 2019, 06:00:24 PM

For someone who doesn't have an adjustable rod laying around, is there another way to measure the custom rod length? Or should I order a set that I plan on returning?

All you need is a stock push rod, cut off out about one inch closer to one end, a 6" piece of 1/4 " threaded rod and a couple nuts.  spin the two nuts onto the threaded rod and slip the two pieces of push rod over it. You now have an adjustable push rod. Slip it in place, adjust the nuts out until you get to where you want the length to be and measure the distance between the nuts. spin the nuts back so you can get the push rod out, spin the nuts bacj to the dimension you measured earlier, then measure the total length of the push rod.

It helps if you have a dial or digital calipers. I bought a cheap 12" digital from Harbor Freight.
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

FSG

Hilly13

Just because its said don't make it so

FL103Dave

I run SE adjustables until I get everything happy, then measure and replace with SE Perfect Fit solids