April 19, 2024, 01:15:21 AM

News:

Random Clacking Sound

Started by Moparnut72, January 30, 2019, 05:26:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fbn ent

What works for me on my '02 FL is to block the rear of the tank as high as I can on the (sidestand) and siphon. Then (on the lift or upright) let the rear down and lift block the front up as much as possible. There is very little gas in the crossover when I take an end off and plug the hose and the pipe. All this is after disconnecting the fuel line of course. Took me a long time and a lot of gas fumes to get this right...
'02 FLTRI - 103" / '84 FLH - 88"<br />Hinton, Alberta

Hilly13

Quote from: fbn ent on February 01, 2019, 11:00:17 AM
What works for me on my '02 FL is to block the rear of the tank as high as I can on the (sidestand) and siphon. Then (on the lift or upright) let the rear down and lift block the front up as much as possible. There is very little gas in the crossover when I take an end off and plug the hose and the pipe. All this is after disconnecting the fuel line of course. Took me a long time and a lot of gas fumes to get this right...
That is so simple yet such a good method, will be doing that from now on, cheers.
Just because its said don't make it so

Moparnut72

I got it apart and have found nothing wrong. Everything was tight and I found no witness marks anywhere. I then went ahead and pulled the lifters. At first I was concerned as one of them had a "frosted" roller. The manual says this is ok and from what I can see the cam lobe is good. The manual says to make sure the plunger is up against the C clip. They are. The manual then says to pump the plunger. I can't move either one of them. How much force is required to do this? I am thinking I should run to Reno to get new ones. Any suggestions?
kk
If you find yourself in a fair fight,
You didn't prepare properly.

Moparnut72

Ok, I got it figured out. The plunger was locked, hydraulically somehow. I took them apart and freed them up and they are now functioning properly. I probably wasn't on the base circle when the rocker plate was installed. Some things are kind of hard to do when you are by yourself. I had my wife watch the rocker arms while I turned the back wheel. She wasn't real sure about what I wanted. Anyway it is going back together now. Should be just fine. Thanks guys. I appreciate your help. Always good advice here.
kk

Moparnut72

All better. Engine is really quiet now especially with the Rockouts. Thanks all.
kk

Ajayrk

AJ

Hilly13

I'm pleased for you that it has turned out ok, I still don't understand the clacking though, if everything was down tight with stock pushrods then I can't see what was up?

Chippitt68

February 01, 2019, 04:52:07 PM #32 Last Edit: February 01, 2019, 10:37:07 PM by FSG
I had a lifter that did that. Did you clean them? What did the inside look like? Mine had shite inside and that's why it stuck. This is why mine was sticking

[attach=0,msg1280389]

Chippitt68

Quote from: Hilly13 on February 01, 2019, 04:47:42 PM
I'm pleased for you that it has turned out ok, I still don't understand the clacking though, if everything was down tight with stock pushrods then I can't see what was up?
My guess, in my case, is that the plunger bottomed out, the grit got into lifter and seized the plunger. Lash

Hilly13

Quote from: Chippitt68 on February 01, 2019, 04:54:16 PM
Quote from: Hilly13 on February 01, 2019, 04:47:42 PM
My guess, in my case, is that the plunger bottomed out, the grit got into lifter and seized the plunger. Lash
Yep that could be it, if his wasn't on the base circle when he tightened the rocker gear down, bit lucky really if that was it.
No harm done and that's a good thing.
OP, the Rock-Outs are good aye  :up:

Rockout Rocker Products

Quote from: Moparnut72 on February 01, 2019, 04:19:39 PM
All better. Engine is really quiet now especially with the Rockouts. Thanks all.
kk

Quote from: Hilly13 on February 01, 2019, 05:03:35 PM

OP, the Rock-Outs are good aye  :up:
:beer: :beer: Thanks guys, glad everything worked out
www.rockout.biz Stop the top end TAPPING!!

DTTJGlide

I would have replaced the lifters, they will only get worse & then could possibly take out the cam & more. Just because MOCO says there OK, they also sat .012 crank runout is OK :emoGroan:

FSG

...   At first I was concerned as one of them had a "frosted" roller. The manual says this is ok and from what I can see the cam lobe is good.

they are IMO the dreaded 18538-99C lifters, crap, I'd be getting in touch with WFOLarry for a set of lifters

Quote from: DTTJGlide on February 01, 2019, 09:13:25 PM
I would have replaced the lifters, they will only get worse & then could possibly take out the cam & more. Just because MOCO says there OK, they also sat .012 crank runout is OK :emoGroan:

:agree:

Moparnut72

It's in the plan. I just wanted to get the bike back on the road for now.
kk