April 26, 2024, 02:59:23 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Is this witness marks from contact?

Started by misfitJason, February 04, 2019, 06:10:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

misfitJason

February 04, 2019, 06:10:31 PM Last Edit: February 04, 2019, 06:16:21 PM by misfitJason
I removed my upper rocker box to check on something and saw these marks by the valve springs. Are they witness marks or just casting imperfections? Both front and rear boxes have them one the exhausts. There are no marks on the rocker and I would think that the valve springs don't get that high up. Thanks
2006 Dyna, Kraftech Evo Softail

Ohio HD

Can't really tell. But what I do is use clay (clean all of the oil off) bolt the cover on, roll the motor over, take the cover off and look.

koko3052

Another way of doing it is put your top cover on but leave the fasteners backed off a full turn, fire it up & put your hand on the cover......you'll feel if it's touching.

prodrag1320

I cant even see what your talking about,circle it on the pic

Norton Commando

Remember, you can sleep in your car, but you can't drive your house.

Hillside Motorcycle

Otto Knowbetter sez, "Even a fish wouldn't get caught if he kept his mouth shut"

misfitJason

Here it is zoomed in. It's still blurry but it's the best I can do without taking her all back apart

PoorUB

Can you circle or point to what you are concerned about?  I don't see it either!
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

wolf_59

while you have it down that far go ahead and remove the rocker assemblies and check the clearance with feeler gauge.
I ran into this the last time I freshened up the topend on my 06 ultra checking for anything that might stop the noise, it was pretty tight so I ended up clearancing the rocker box for peace of mind, installed rockouts and drilled out the upper pushrod tubes, installed new lifters

misfitJason

Wolf it's  not tore down at the moment.

PoorUB

Nothing there from normal operation. Your valves and springs are not getting over there!
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

Armin

Is the valve on the photo in the fully open position then consider the valve lift to determine if the spring collar might touch the rocker box, if the valve is closed just use a feeler gauge to ascertain that you have good clearance.

Armin.
Nothing can ruin a Man's day faster than an Almost-Takeoff!

jsachs1

Never seen an exhaust retainer get close to the rocker box area you're concerned about. The intake on the other hand sometimes gets extremely close with aftermarket dual springs.  :wink:
John

misfitJason

The valve was fully open in the phot. I finally got my photos to load so here is a much better pic

Ajayrk

I see it now.  Let the valve close and check the clearance.  You may only need to slightly move the lower box for clearance.
AJ

misfitJason