April 23, 2024, 03:12:07 PM

News:

Cylnder Stud Install Question

Started by Cowtowner, February 07, 2019, 06:03:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cowtowner

Hi tried searching this but didn't see an answer. i am installing S&S cylinder base studs into a 2009  twin cam touring.

Service manual just says install them collar down, provides a torque spec and doesn't specify any loctite. So I figure just install them like that (using the ball bearing under head bolt method) but just wanted to make sure I'm not missing anything. Should these be installed without loctite?

No Cents

I use red Loctite to install the cylinder studs into the case.
You don't want them to back out if you ever remove the head bolts.
08 FLHX my grocery getter, 124ci, wfolarry 110" heads, Burns pipe, 158/152 sae

Cowtowner

Makes sense. Just seems funny the service manual doesn't call for it.

Hillside Motorcycle

They are an interference fit thread, is probably the reasoning.
Otto Knowbetter sez, "Even a fish wouldn't get caught if he kept his mouth shut"

turboprop

Quote from: Cowtowner on February 07, 2019, 06:03:09 AM
Hi tried searching this but didn't see an answer. i am installing S&S cylinder base studs into a 2009  twin cam touring.

Service manual just says install them collar down, provides a torque spec and doesn't specify any loctite. So I figure just install them like that (using the ball bearing under head bolt method) but just wanted to make sure I'm not missing anything. Should these be installed without loctite?

Feeling says to use thread sealer, not thread locker to install the ARP studs they resell. The specific sealer they call out is Loctite brand #545.
'We' like this' - Said by the one man operation.

Cowtowner