April 18, 2024, 06:47:26 PM

News:

B2 heads

Started by HighLiner, February 14, 2019, 05:23:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HighLiner

What is required to run these on the newer 2009-up touring bikes with the front engine stabilizer?

No Cents

08 FLHX my grocery getter, 124ci, wfolarry 110" heads, Burns pipe, 158/152 sae

HighLiner

Are they drilled already?

HighLiner

February 14, 2019, 05:44:50 PM #3 Last Edit: February 14, 2019, 05:54:20 PM by HighLiner
I seen a head bracket kit the s&s website.  But it doesn't say what for or why?

No Cents

S&S sells B2 heads for both the standard HD bolt pattern as well as their bigger bolt pattern for SA cases.
You would have to ask S&S if the B2 heads are machined for the upper motor mount. A standard off the shelf exhaust will not directly bolt on because the exhaust ports are larger. That being said they do offer a kit to adapt to your exhaust for the larger exhaust ports.
  Like I said...it's doable...you just have to make certain changes to adapt to the B2 heads.

George Bryce just posted a picture yesterday on FB of a set of B2 heads and pistons with huge titanium valves for a 124".
[attach=0,msg1282301] 

Don D

Also consider the added height.

Ohio HD

But using S&S rocker boxes, aren't they a little shorter for that reason?

Don D

They used to be .200 taller. I don't know about low profile boxes or covers. The heads can be machined for 2008up motor mount brackets and ACRs

doubletrouble

Are those pistons that are pictured to be used in a street application ?

joelp34252

From the looks of that chamber and piston dome I would expect 14-15 to one or so compression ratio.

Joel 2001 FLHT

build it

The heads unmolested are taller in all forms they can be had from S&S. I'd ask them if they offer them with the machining you're looking for. They are also offered with stock exhaust flange or 4 bolt SA pattern.

To maximize the heads efficiency a custom pipe will be needed, opinions to the contrary are not worth listening to. I'd strongly consider having one of a very few people go over them for guide fitment, valve job, and change th valves and locks at the least.

This can be as economical or aggressive as you want to go so have a budget in mind before going down this road.
Get the principles down first, they'll never change.

jsachs1

February 15, 2019, 04:21:57 PM #11 Last Edit: February 15, 2019, 06:20:41 PM by jsachs1
Seems to have been S&S month here to start off the new year.
The piston is from a B-2 engine that experienced detonation. Welding, etc. to repair the heads. I have no pics of those heads as I shipped them last month. You can get an idea of the dome configuration of the stock B-2 piston.
IMO, the guides in the B-2 and B-3 heads are fine. The exhaust valves are Inconel, heavy but bulletproof. The intake valves have too thin a margin in my opinion for street riding, and super duty valve spring usage.
Valve springs are beehive on the B-3, which I always replace with dual springs. Also spring installed heights has to be paid attention to with aftermarket springs. S&S Triple springs (90-2079) standard on B-2 check in avg.1.900" installed height. Same on B-3 heads.I find valve protrusion to be in the area of 2.050" on B-2 and 3s. The valve job is basically governed by core shift, and large seat throats. B-3 chamber volume average 110 cc. stock. [attach=0,msg1282405]   
John

No Cents

John...nice garage floor.  :up:
I like that engine stand too...good til the last drop.

hd king

My B2 heads were machined for the front motor mount from S&S.
07 Street Bob
MEGA-FLO B2 124" 174hp 141tq sae on pump gas

HighLiner

Quote from: hd king on February 17, 2019, 10:01:58 AM

At a special request or just stock parts?

hd king

Quote from: HighLiner on February 17, 2019, 05:02:08 PM
Quote from: hd king on February 17, 2019, 10:01:58 AM

At a special request or just stock parts?

You would have to ask Jim at Mega-Flo.  I didn't ask for front mount as it was for my Dyna. 
07 Street Bob
MEGA-FLO B2 124" 174hp 141tq sae on pump gas

TheDog

I think B2´s with stock bolt pattern is machined for the front motor mount. If you order Special Application B2 heads you must order machining as well.

Hillside Motorcycle

Rear head is a mighty tight fit.
Those heads will show a right-side biased power curve.
Otto Knowbetter sez, "Even a fish wouldn't get caught if he kept his mouth shut"

nosjunkie

The provision for the upper motor mount is there.
[attach=0]  [attach=1]
LIVE FREE OR DIE..