April 26, 2024, 05:47:02 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Starter Jack Shaft 2005 Softail Issue

Started by sedgar2, February 17, 2019, 09:06:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sedgar2

Doing a motor swap (using factory manual) and am at the starter/primary part of the ordeal. We replaced the starter primary seal and installed coupler on the starter (bevel in the correct direction). Assembling the jackshaft, by the manual, I cannot get the bolthead to secures the thrust washer (still loose). The inner shaft is slightly proud of the assembled shaft. Inspected the seal for full seating and it appears to be all the way in.

We dry tested the starter before the comp/clutch assembly was in stalled and the starter drive gear jumped out far enough to engage the flywheel. We continued assembly and once finished, the starter spins, but does not engage the flywheel. The past ones I have worked on (been a while) I don't recall any problems with the jackshaft bolt not fully seating on the shaft (using in/lb torque wrench). The only variable this time was the starter seal. I have scoured the inter webs and see nothing that helps, TIA

PS This was at the end of a long day.....

fleetmechanic

On our fleet of FLHTPs the only time I have seen this was when the coupler was reversed the wrong way.

DresserDan

You used all the original parts? Nothing changed in the parts?

sedgar2

Quote from: DresserDan on February 17, 2019, 01:11:50 PM
You used all the original parts? Nothing changed in the parts?

All OE parts.

fleet mechanic, which do you I'd as the "coupler?" There is one parts that slides onto the starter shaft and there is a bevel on one side. We consulted the manual
And there is one part that has an internal snap ring about 1/3 of the way through, again consulted the manual. Before the clutch/compensator were installed we assembled and disassembled the jack shaft more than a few times.

Thanks for the responses.

fleetmechanic

February 17, 2019, 03:58:25 PM #4 Last Edit: February 17, 2019, 06:27:45 PM by fleetmechanic
Reversing the one with the snap ring was my problem because the snap ring groove is offset toward one end of the coupler.

smoserx1

If you pull the starter out you can get to that coupling without having to remove the inner primary housing again.  The output shaft of the starter has splines and that coupling will go on either way but one way will completely cover the splines and that is the way you want.  Course I know on a softail the oil tank is in the way so I don't know if this will save you any time but I got to believe that is the problem