April 18, 2024, 09:59:52 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Advice wanted for winter upgrade head/cams

Started by BadHabit, February 17, 2019, 01:01:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BadHabit

February 17, 2019, 01:01:53 PM Last Edit: February 17, 2019, 01:23:34 PM by BadHabit
I am in the process of tearing down the top-end on  my 05 RoadGlide.  I purchased the bike second hand a year or so ago therefore I am not able to speak to the previous owner. I did however speak with a local HD dealer who looked up the vin and told me that it had a 95" SE Big Bore Kit, S&S 510 gear drive cams and a S.E. 6 speed installed  at the dealer before delivery to the original owner. I've added 3;37 gearing and a 2-1 pipe.  Looking to get the heads freshened up and increase my HP and TQ.  I'm a big guy pushing 275. I do most of my riding in the 2200-5500 range. Reliability and NO DETONATION are paramount to me. The motor currently sits at just under 60xxx miles. I have a set of s&s 570g cams on my workbench that I can install to help improve the performance over my current 510G cams. In doing research it seems a maximum ccp of 190 and compression in the 9.8 area is safe and suggested with the 570G cams especially in a bagger. With the 510g cams I am getting approx 150-160 CCP now with no detonation at all. Since the  510 cams and gear drives were installed at delivery when new I i wonder if I need to have lash and run-out re-checked again with a new cam install? The 570 cams are listed as "bolt in" Will there be any concern of piston to valve problems with these cams? I do not want to remove the jugs and pistons for any clearincing work...What is everyone's thoughts on the 510-570 upgrade and what I should be looking for in headwork.
Many thanks in advance for any input anybody cares to share

Armin

Changing to the 570 cams you won't notice anything performancewise as the cams are nearly identical. Your CCP will drop about 2 - 3 psi because the intake close happens some two degrees later. The higher valve lift enhances cylinder filling a bit but I doubt that it makes some difference without some decent headwork. If you don't have hi-lift beehive springs I would not consider the 570 cams being direct bolt-in cams. The piston to valve clearance with the 570 cams should be good, the valve lift at TDC equals that of the 510 cams.
Your CCP of 150 - 160 psi is very low with your current setup, assuming your heads have  cc of 85 you should end up at 175 to 180 psi ccp using a .03 head gasket so there might be some piston ring wear involved.
It is advisable to check the gear lash after a cam change even when reusing the same gears, the cams always have some amount of micro eccentricity thus influencing gear action.

Armin.
Nothing can ruin a Man's day faster than an Almost-Takeoff!

Hossamania

Horsepower is in the heads. Headwork is the next step, set up for the cam.
As mentioned, at 60,000 miles, your motor may or may not need the cylinders cleaned up, do another compression and leak down test with a known good tester to confirm the health of your motor.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

Y2KRKNG

Quote from: Hossamania on February 18, 2019, 05:08:17 AM
Horsepower is in the heads. Headwork is the next step, set up for the cam.
As mentioned, at 60,000 miles, your motor may or may not need the cylinders cleaned up, do another compression and leak down test with a known good tester to confirm the health of your motor.

I've chased my tail and did a lot of extra work because of faulty CCP readings from TWO different gauges giving similar faulty readings.

If you've ever had a hard time starting it after a gas stop on a hot bike hot day than you have more than 150 Cold.C.P.
ATP(TurboHarry)95",Mik45,Branch/Mik "Flowmetric" heads,TW55,T.Header 2-1

TorQuePimp

570@10:1 or a smidge higher,1.9/1.6 heads with a 1.68-1.7 intake port opening
Killer tune......go ride it
Great build

50-52mm TB with port matched manifold even better

rking1550

If it was me, I'd double check the compression.seems low, was the throttle held wide open ?
If the compression is good. I'd go with the Andrew's 48 cam. Won't make the hp of the 570, but it'll give you lots of tq to get a "large man" moving.  And works well in the rpm range you said you ride.
And a little head work always helps any build.
Good luck.
124"@ 11.1 to 1, T-man 662-2, T-man thumper, woods CV 51 carb,  Bassini RR

prodrag1320

1.9/1.610 headwork,set compression at 10.-1.good build with the 570`s,done it many times

Hillside Motorcycle

Valve to piston would need to be addressed, with an HD as-cast 95" piston, with the 1.900"/re-surface.
Not the depth, but location.
Easily attended to.
Otto Knowbetter sez, "Even a fish wouldn't get caught if he kept his mouth shut"

Y2KRKNG

I'd say you have a solid 90/90 recipe currently. Go in and fresher her up? Find anything bad then reassess.
ATP(TurboHarry)95",Mik45,Branch/Mik "Flowmetric" heads,TW55,T.Header 2-1

BadHabit

Thanks for the input fellas...Did a Recheck today with a new Mac ct60 compression gauge as well as a  cheap autozone...readings on both were 170-175...I think ive got a buyer for the 570 cams so I'm looking at the Andrews 37 and the r&r 525 cams. Looking at beans comp calculated if I Deck my heads to 80cc and .030 head gasket that should put me close to 9:8-1 and 190ccp. All good numbers for a good build correct?

Hillside Motorcycle

Otto Knowbetter sez, "Even a fish wouldn't get caught if he kept his mouth shut"

nutsandbolts5212

In doing all that work I would also first check the crank runout to make sure it's in spec.

Ride safe!

Hillside Motorcycle

Yep.
2004's were notorious, and some 2005's(left-over 2004's I suspect) would scissor, once power was introduced.