April 25, 2024, 12:54:53 AM

News:

Rekluse TorqDrive clutch pack

Started by tdrglide, January 24, 2019, 08:50:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tdrglide

Does anyone have any experience with this clutch pack? I know they are a bit spendy but...  They claim it will hold 140#torque with 04 spring. Looking for options. Currently running a bandit sportsman with gray/silver springs, no shims. Making 129hp, 132tq. Recent trigger finger surgery and a bout of tendinitis has me rethinking clutch  lever pull. I have already tried the mueller ramps with the bandit. Could not get it to work to my satisfaction.  Thanks

Don D

Works great and the steel liners are a good addition

Hybredhog

In general I like them, but I haven't installed them on anything BIG. But the  way they're made tells me that the clamping load should do the job as rpm's go up. Getting them adjusted initially is a bit tedious, but once you get that done they're kind of fun. Some may not get the jest of not using a clutch, it also overrides the "auto" if you want, but once you get use to it, its cool. For dirt bikes its probably one of the best things you can do to make hard tight riding more enjoyable.   
'01 FXDXT, '99 FXDL/XRD, '76 FLH

tdrglide

Thanks, not talking about the auto clutch. TorqDrive clutch pack uses I believe 15 friction and 14 drive plates. Basically stock style clutch. Just more plates/surface area. Allow me to use softer spring. Maybe combined with a lock up if necessary.

FSG

add up to 6 additional frictions disks to the clutch pack over stock

interesting   :up:

https://www.youtube.com/embed/OsSPeEWCtyM?rel=0&autoplay=1

Don D

It will handle what yours is putting out easy and I have no experience with the auto unit. Full release, smooth engagement

Pirsch Fire Wagon

Put many in. PAY ATTENTION to the Adjustment Process - Everyone LOVES them.
Tom

tdrglide

Manual only clutch. Not to confuse with their auto clutch.
Adds those extra plates and still retains a judder ring/spring. Interesting. I think i will be heading down this road. Would like to see if I can couple this with with harley spring 37871-04 (yellow) and 18deg. ball ramps. Go from there.

kd

You might want to remember that if you change the recipe you'll be baking a different cake.  Just sayin.   :smiled:
KD

tdrglide

A follow up report.   Finally got a chance to road test the TorqDrive clutch pack. 42degrees and sunny today. I used the -04 yellow spring and the 18deg. ramps as opposed to stock 21deg. Belray 80w gear saver in primary. Very happy with it so far. Clutch engages right where I want it. Easy to find neutral. No drag. Easier than stock lever pull. I was concerned I might not get enough pressure plate lift to get full clutch release with the longer ramps but that proved unfounded. Haven't noticed any clutch slipping but have not had the chance to give the full test. But did jump on it pretty hard a few times.

Also changed out sprockets and drive belt. New heavy duty sidecar belt and new swingarm bearings and rubber. All is good :SM:

turboprop

I just bought a TorqDrive clutch pack for my Torque-A-Hoe build. Will be here on Tuesday. If it performs as others has said, I will be retrofitting them to my other TC124 FXR platforms.
'We' like this' - Said by the one man operation.

Ohio HD

I do find this very interesting and compelling. As I mentioned in a separate thread, I had used a 15 plate clutch in my '52 Shovel/Pan back in 1978. I don't remember who the manufacturer was, but I had bought it through Drag Specialties. I thought the idea was great then, but in that case the driven plates were a stamped steel, and really thin. You could flex them. They would heat up and warp, cause clutch drag. But when they cooled again all was good.

I imagine and hope that these steels are a solid thicker part. I look forward to hearing how they do. I need to contact them and see if their steel inserts can be used or if they can supply them for a Barnett / Evo Ind. clutch basket.

[attach=0]

[attach=1]

turboprop

FWIW, a good friend of mine that owns a well established bike shop, runs this clutch in his personal TC124 FXR and has installed a bunch of them in big inch, lightweight bikes. Swears by them. My decision to purchase was driven by a conversation we had this morning. Looking forward trying it. Worse case is it ends up on the shelf with all the other high dollar clutches I have tried that didnt work out.
'We' like this' - Said by the one man operation.