March 28, 2024, 10:29:52 AM

News:

Clutch suggestions

Started by 08flstf, February 18, 2019, 01:13:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

08flstf

Getting pretty much everything I need to do my 124 kit on the Road Glide, but lack a clutch. What are some of you running on similar builds? I've seen where some are using the AIM SDR with good luck but have heard of some having issues with slipping. I'm not sure what all is available for the M8's. I've run the Rivera pro clutch before and the bandit, both with good luck. Just wondering what most are having good luck with.

VDeuce

Bandit on a 120 M8, but pull is harder with heavy springs and no shims than it was on my cable driven 07 SG. Don't know if AIM's new slave cylinder would work for it (possible not as much travel?).

08flstf

I did the "fix" from Stonecold on the hdforum for my transfer from trans to primary and the AIM slave cylinder isn't compatible with that.

BigT

Quote from: VDeuce on February 18, 2019, 03:04:45 PM
Bandit on a 120 M8, but pull is harder with heavy springs and no shims than it was on my cable driven 07 SG. Don't know if AIM's new slave cylinder would work for it (possible not as much travel?).
I tried to run the AIM slave unit to lighten the pull on the Bandit clutch but couldn't get the bike in neutral with it running.

VDeuce

Quote from: BigT on February 18, 2019, 04:19:14 PM
I tried to run the AIM slave unit to lighten the pull on the Bandit clutch but couldn't get the bike in neutral with it running.
Thanks for the info, I was afraid that might be the case. I do have a bent lever from that outfit whose name I forget, that did help some with the pull.

BigT

Quote from: VDeuce on February 18, 2019, 05:26:04 PM
Quote from: BigT on February 18, 2019, 04:19:14 PM
Thanks for the info, I was afraid that might be the case. I do have a bent lever from that outfit whose name I forget, that did help some with the pull.
I left the AIM slave on the bike and switched out the Bandit to an AIM SDR on a 124" but haven't had it on the dyno yet to see if it slips. Lever pull is much easier.

08flstf

Interested in how that turns out. Any idea what numbers will be? I'm not building anything radical. S&S bolt on kit, S&S 475, stock heads, SE 64mm tb (ported by Ward), and billet cat.

rigidthumper

Not an endorsement, (ie: I haven't tried one yet, but in theory looks good) but take a look at Rekluse Torque Drive. Adding an additional 1/2 dozen plates gives a lot more surface area with the same lever pull, should hold something.
https://rekluse.com/product/torq-drive-clutch-hd/
Ignorance is bliss, and accuracy expensive. How much of either can you afford?

No Cents

Quote from: rigidthumper on February 19, 2019, 05:51:33 AM
Not an endorsement, (ie: I haven't tried one yet, but in theory looks good) but take a look at Rekluse Torque Drive. Adding an additional 1/2 dozen plates gives a lot more surface area with the same lever pull, should hold something.
I looked at that clutch set up at the Expo this past weekend. I liked what I seen.  :up:
08 FLHX my grocery getter, 124ci, wfolarry 110" heads, Burns pipe, 158/152 sae

calif phil

I went to the Rekluse seminar and I was also impressed of the Torq Drive kit. 

Ohio HD

So the plates are thinner? It's +6?

Do you remember the clutch Drag Specialties sold in the late 70's for four speeds, had wafer thin steel plates? They'd warp when hot (been slipped), but when they cooled would stop dragging. 

rigidthumper

Yes, lots of skinny plates, with the goal of increasing the friction area by ~50%. I believe it may work well with the M8 bigger bore stuff.
Ignorance is bliss, and accuracy expensive. How much of either can you afford?

08flstf

Looking at their site it mentions "Rekluse sleeves eliminate basket wear and notching". Are those sleeves you put on the stock clutch basket or do you have to buy their basket as well? Was thinking the Torque Drive was just the clutch pack?

nosjunkie

I run a Rivera Pro Clutch with a lockup and a Evo Ind basket. behind my 124" in my Road glide.. Its taken a bit of abuse..
LIVE FREE OR DIE..

joe_lyons

Quote from: 08flstf on February 19, 2019, 02:14:03 PM

Looking at their site it mentions "Rekluse sleeves eliminate basket wear and notching". Are those sleeves you put on the stock clutch basket or do you have to buy their basket as well? Was thinking the Torque Drive was just the clutch pack?

Stock basket.
Powerhouse Cycle & Dyno - Performance is our passion 816-425-4901

08flstf

Desertwndrr

I had a Bandit Sportsman and a Rekluse clutch both behind my 124" Road Glide.  The bandit gave me nothing but grief.  I went through two sets of clutch and steel plates.  After I couldn't deal with it anymore I switched to the Rekluse.  (Not the auto clutch, the Torqdrive clutch). Freaking amazing clutch.  Super smooth and clean engagement.  HIGHLY RECOMMENDED. 

Vision

Another vote for the Rekluse.  Spoke to Rekluse a few months back and whether you go auto or just the torqdrive,  you are getting torqdrive plates.  I have the  auto on my 2014 SGS with S&S 124 with 140+ Ft-lbs of tourque and the clutch is awesome!  I'm equally impressed at how well the basket tangs protect the stock basket. 

Waiting to pick up my 2018 RGS that just got a 124 build done this coming weekend.  Right now, it has the SE heavy duty Clutch from the SE Stage 4 I had before the 124 build.  I will be replacing the SE and going Rekluse at the first sign of any slippage with the 124.  Good company with great support.

BVHOG

Had a customer that had the rekluse clutch kit installed on his 2015 cvo a couple years back at Sturgis, clutch didn't make it 5 thousand miles and Rekluse would not work with him at all. After seeing how he was dealt with I wouldn't install one even if it wasn't a POS.
If you don't have a sense of humor you probably have no sense at all.

Desertwndrr

BVHOG I put over 10k miles on mine and I pushed it as often as I could.  Plenty of burn outs and hard accel/decel riding.  No issues at all.  Not sure what issues that your customer had, but my clutch was flawless.  I sold that bike however I wouldn't hesitate to use the Rekluse in any of my other bikes.  Again, I loved the one that I had.