March 28, 2024, 01:55:36 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Are the new stock 2019 M-8's good enough without engine work?

Started by Ken R, March 10, 2019, 03:14:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ken R

I sure do thank everyone for their honest opinions and experiences.   :up:

On Friday, I bit the bullet and bought an almost new very low-mileage (like only 1,800) 2019 FLHTK from a dealer in Florida with a huge discount.  The shipper is supposed to pick it up Tuesday or Wednesday with a 3-day delivery time.  They've offered the Extended Warranty for a couple of thousand $$.  I've benefited from the extended warranty on my 2013 to the tune of over $5,000 over the past 5 years; even though I'm fully capable of making all those repairs myself.  In fact, it's in the shop  right now for a new throttle handgrip actuator and a bunch of other stuff that  they diagnosed at the same time. 

I am so accustomed to my yellow/black 2013 but will be putting it up for sale very soon.  I plan to swap some parts between it and the new  motorcycle before selling it.   I'd swap the painted parts if they'd fit . . . but probably few will.  I'm going to miss it. :cry: 

At competitions, the other competitors told me many times that the sidelines filled with spectators when I came to the start line to see the big yellow "full dresser" run the course to compete with the little Road Kings.    And I ate it up.  :SM:

I already know that  I'm going to absolutely hate the hydraulic clutch. :crook: 
I have several options:
1.  Just learn how to deal with the narrow friction zone and hope I can still compete with it.  The cops hate 'em, too.   
2.  Install an AIM hydraulic slave cylinder device to give a wider friction zone and easier clutch effort
3.  Convert it to cable-clutch using the same parts as on some 2019 Softails, a Mueller PowerClutch, etc.  Requires an ECM flash because the cable clutch switch works backwards from  hydraulic.

Don't know which option I'll eventually end up with.  May end up trying all three.

Performance wise, I'm going to leave it stock except for mufflers.  I have a set of CVO mufflers with Fulsac baffles to fit it here in the room with me now.   
I'll be  leaving the rest of the exhaust  system stock  (catalytic converter and all).  There just doesn't seem to be any reason to piddle with it when it already will out-perform my existing  motor which totally satisfies me. 

My three loves in motorcycling are skills practice and coaching, skills competition (to a lesser extent now), and long motorcycle touring/camping in national parks with friends.  We're doing Yellowstone and Grand Tetons for 2 weeks in mid July.  It'll be our second trip up there and my touring buds and I are really looking forward to it. 
I have both a new tent  and now a new motorcycle for the trip; anxious to try both. 

So I'm  planning on thousands of good miles and hours of fun in the cones on the new motor this year with 3 national park camping trips planned and maybe a few competitions. 
This thread was all it took for me to take the plunge and I'm excited.

So I probably won't be lurking in the Twin Cam forum too much any more and will keep constant watch on the Milwaukee Eight technical forum, instead.  It appears that many of my Twin Cam friends are here already.

Ken

cmashark

I'm a bit late, but I'm going to say no.  I'm on my 6th M8 and none have been left stock.  Aftermarket stage is nice.  Aftermarket stage 3 looks like a ton of fun.  I'm in the middle of installing an aftermarket stage 2 on my 2019 bike now.  Should be running before church starts...

Chris

Edit:  you'll get use to the clutch.  I try to do the advanced MSF course every year or 2.  In 2017, I did it on a H-D stage 3 CVO Street Glide, and in 2018, I did it on and aftermarket stage 2 (107) Road Glide.  Neither were difficult to maneuver.  I spent about a 2 months with each one prior to taking the course so I would be familiar with the way they would react.
2021 FLHXSE

KE5RBD

I have a 2019 FLHTK also.  The clutch is very touchy and hard to get smooth.  The Throttle Progressivity can be adjusted with a tuner and makes a world of difference.  First M8 Stage 4 117 I rode was very difficult to manage the clutch on starting from stop.  It had been tuned with PV.  Had to soften the throttle table in the 1000 to 2000 from 5 to 20% throttle position.  The clutch is torque sensitive and will actually pull the clutch lever forward for you engaging even more.  It is the clutch itself that causes the sensitivity.  I had a 14 limited with hydraulic and it was smooth on start off. When they changed to A&S on 14 up CVO's and 15 up on some other touring and all in 16 is when started having this issue.  The more torque the engine has the worse it will be unless adjusted in the Progressivity tables.   I looked at a stage 1 map for my bike in Street tuner software and it is adjusted. 
2019 FLHTK Hammock Seat S&S MK 45 Slip ons Street Tuner.

hogsty

To keep your extended warranty you can't put your PowerVision on it, or get a professional tune unless they use the SEST.     Oh yeah, you probably need to limit all your shopping to only HD parts.

I have a 2019 and all I did was replace the mufflers so I could hear it and put on a high flow AC.  I did buy a SEST to keep the extended warranty that I received free as part of the deal.  Did a simple download from the SEST and it runs great.  Yes, it could run better, and it will eventually, but I am happy right now.

The fuel mileage didn't suffer any with those mild mods.  You'll get 40-45 mpg at cruise easily.

My biggest complaint with the new bikes is the fans run for about a minute after turning the motor off and they are LOUD! 

All in all I think you'll be very happy with your new bike.

hd06myway

Harley could make a 200hp at the rear wheel bike and people would still want to "hop" them up...human nature...

sfmichael

congratulations Ken  :beer:

mufflers are a nice addition and you've chosen well, do yourself a favor and get it tuned

a few guys are familiar with the HD piece and can help you find a little more power and optimize efficiency

I'm jealous  :smiled:
Colorado Springs, CO.

sfmichael

Quote from: cmashark on March 16, 2019, 10:56:11 PM
I'm a bit late, but I'm going to say no. I'm on my 6th M8 and none have been left stock.  Aftermarket stage is nice.  Aftermarket stage 3 looks like a ton of fun.  I'm in the middle of installing an aftermarket stage 2 on my 2019 bike now.  Should be running before church starts...

Chris

I need to know what you do for a living  :teeth:
Colorado Springs, CO.

Ken R

Quote from: hogsty on March 17, 2019, 07:38:42 AM

I have a 2019 and all I did was replace the mufflers so I could hear it and put on a high flow AC.  I did buy a SEST to keep the extended warranty that I received free as part of the deal.  Did a simple download from the SEST and it runs great.  Yes, it could run better, and it will eventually, but I am happy right now.

I guess we'll have to get used to more time in the saddle between fills.  Oh, wait . . . Mikey should need fuel before us.   :SM:

I'm excited about the new motor; even though I wasn't really looking to buy a new one.  I've said it twice before, "This will be my last motorcycle."  :wink:

Ken R

I've been told that there is something that the tuner can do that makes an after-market tune invisible.  I'll know more within a couple of weeks.

By the way, I'll be removing the tins and having them painted.  Can you guess what color?  :dgust:

Quote from: hogsty on March 17, 2019, 07:38:42 AM
To keep your extended warranty you can't put your PowerVision on it, or get a professional tune unless they use the SEST.     Oh yeah, you probably need to limit all your shopping to only HD parts.

The fuel mileage didn't suffer any with those mild mods.  You'll get 40-45 mpg at cruise easily.

My biggest complaint with the new bikes is the fans run for about a minute after turning the motor off and they are LOUD! 

All in all I think you'll be very happy with your new bike.

cmashark

Quote from: sfmichael on March 17, 2019, 04:57:42 PM
I'm a bit late, but I'm going to say no. I'm on my 6th M8 and none have been left stock.  Aftermarket stage is nice.  Aftermarket stage 3 looks like a ton of fun.  I'm in the middle of installing an aftermarket stage 2 on my 2019 bike now.  Should be running before church starts...

Chris

I have a sugar momma... :SM:
2021 FLHXSE

sfmichael

Quote from: cmashark on March 17, 2019, 09:13:57 PM
Quote from: sfmichael on March 17, 2019, 04:57:42 PM

Chris

I have a sugar momma... :SM:

atta boy  :up: :wink:
Colorado Springs, CO.

calif phil

Congrats on the new bike Ken.  I think you will luv it.

Bpeer1

EVOKing94

I hope so since I bought a 2019 FLHP today.  Can't wait forever for HD to own up and fix the problems you may have.  The older you get the faster time goes.  Hope to leave it stock for a while but have never been able to do that before.

Ken R

At this point, I'm going to say, "YES".
My 2019 Limited arrived yesterday.  I didn't get to start and ride it until last night.  They failed to put the dealer tags on it, so I only made a couple of laps around the neighborhood.

On my 3rd lap, at 30 mph in 2nd gear, I went WOT.  Now, I don't do WOT very often, but I was curious.   

This thing is quick!  Scary quick.  :smilep: In less than 3 seconds I was whizzing by houses at 60 mph!   When it hit 60, I let off. 
I know most of y'all out there might not be satisfied with that, but I was astounded. 

Thinking back to my old 2002 Ultra Classic that couldn't hold Interstate speeds up a gradual incline against the wind, this 2019 motor certainly won't have any problem with that.  It has almost double the advertised torque!  And there's no doubt that it has more get-up-and-go than my 2013 with cams, exhaust, and intake. 

Now, I'll go back to my normal Ken riding and never do that again.   :embarrassed: :embarrassed: :embarrassed:

Moparnut72

I have test ridden a couple of M8's. One I took it easy on one as it had only a handful of miles on it. I hate to abuse a new bike even if it belongs to a dealer. A regular guy will own it at some point. The second one had 3,000 miles on it. The salesman told me it was broken in and don't be afraid to get on it. I didn't wring it out but I did step on it some. Amazing amount of power and really smooth engines. I kind of wished I could have waited to get an M8 but my bike burnt up and I didn't want to wait. Nobody was sure that the M8's were going into the Softails in '18 anyway at that time. My Slim with the 110 is pretty quick too and is comparable. Even with all the griping I wouldn't be afraid of buying an M8.
kk
If you find yourself in a fair fight,
You didn't prepare properly.

KE5RBD

Bought 2019 Limited and was very surprised at performance.  I have owned 10 limited and 14 limited and no comparison.  The 14 was stage 2 and 2 in 1 had Wide Bands and 3.05 gearing and ran well.  This 19 is ever bit as strong and haven't been over 4000 yet.  Always before Performance was first thing I did mods for.  On this one it will be to get rid of that 2500 rpm flare up on start up.  The other thing that exhaust note got to be fixed and throttle table little bit touchy on take off.  Performance will come later.  Roll on at 60 in 6th is as strong as the stage 2 with gearing was.  The performance of the new radio system is so much easier to use.  Really nice if you have used the Rushmore.  Touch screen  buttons are very smooth and easy to use.
2019 FLHTK Hammock Seat S&S MK 45 Slip ons Street Tuner.

sandrooney

I got a 2018 Heritage 114 in September of 18. It is an awesome machine. I traded my 15 RK for it, for reasons other than wanting to. Like age, knees and back issues. I knew in a couple years the RK was going to be too much for me to handle and wanted to trade while it was still worth something.  I thought for sure I would regret it. I love this Heritage. Plenty of power (still box stock) and hands down the best suspension of any Harley I have ever owned.
Just my experience.
SR
Patience is such a waste of time .

hogsty

Quote from: Ken R on March 22, 2019, 10:30:16 AM
At this point, I'm going to say, "YES".
My 2019 Limited arrived yesterday.  I didn't get to start and ride it until last night.  They failed to put the dealer tags on it, so I only made a couple of laps around the neighborhood.

On my 3rd lap, at 30 mph in 2nd gear, I went WOT.  Now, I don't do WOT very often, but I was curious.   

This thing is quick!  Scary quick.  :smilep: In less than 3 seconds I was whizzing by houses at 60 mph!   When it hit 60, I let off. 
I know most of y'all out there might not be satisfied with that, but I was astounded. 

Thinking back to my old 2002 Ultra Classic that couldn't hold Interstate speeds up a gradual incline against the wind, this 2019 motor certainly won't have any problem with that.  It has almost double the advertised torque!  And there's no doubt that it has more get-up-and-go than my 2013 with cams, exhaust, and intake. 

Now, I'll go back to my normal Ken riding and never do that again.   :embarrassed: :embarrassed: :embarrassed:

:doh:   :crash:

Hilly13

After riding a few of them I'm in the no camp, cam, pipes, intake and tune, minimum.
Just because its said don't make it so

Ken R

I put a pair of 2019 CVO mufflers on the bike with FulSac cores.  But since doing that, I've been reading and watching everything I could find about the warranties being voided.  You see, I bought 4 extra years of extended protection (since the same served me so well with my 2013 Limited).  Looking back, I've received over $7,500 worth of warranty repairs at dealership prices including new radio, throttle repairs, and the big one . . . a whole new engine rebuild with all new parts except the cases.  The crankshaft apparently "scissored".    So having my new 2019 warranty voided is just too much risk for me. 

I wonder what people think about the Screamin' Eagle exhaust system with the catalytic converters in the mufflers.  It's expensive, but not that much more expensive that a Fuel Moto Jackpot header kit and new mufflers.  And it complies with the 2019 warranty conditions.  The motorcycle came with the Screamin' Eagle Pro Street Tuner, so I can simply flash the ECM with one of the compatible Harley Davidson tunes.  It's still going to have 10%+ more torque than my 2013 with all the work I did to it. 

Ken

Ken R

Gonna answer my own questions and comments:

We went on a 3,700 mile motorcycle camping trip from the DFW area to Yellowstone and Tetons.  The motor never gave an ounce of problem.  In fact, I've never been more confident in a motorcycle.  It seems more comfortable.    We all got great gas mileage once we crossed the state line and left Texas (until we crossed the state line and rode back INTO Texas).  Highest I saw was 62 mpg. 

The motor pulled up long inclines without any problems at all.  And when time to pass, it would accelerate from 70 to 85 in 6th gear plenty quickly for me.  (If another rider right behind me was also passing, it wasn't quickly enough  :oops:.    )  So I tried to check the rear view and alter my passing if friends were following me into the oncoming lane. 

I found a Screamin-Eagle High Flow exhaust system (the system with the SS headers and Catalytic Converters in the mufflers, themselves) on eBay for less than half the price of new.  It's still a quiet motorcycle, even with the baffles removed from the mufflers and the Cats doing all the noise suppression.   I'm using the SERT to keep the tune within range (although I'd really prefer a few hours on the Dyno at The Dyno Difference). 

Do I need to do anything more for performance?  I don't think so.   
Although, I might get the Harley "Torque" cam because I like the way it makes the M8 sound.  But not this year . . . maybe next. 

SixShooter14

Sounds like you've got just about the perfect motorcycle for you. Enjoy it!  :chop: :scoot:
'97 Road King, Rinehart True Dual, HSR42, 10:1, EVL3010, 2000i

flh canuck

Congrats on the new ride!

I've owned numerous twin cams - 88, 96 and the last one was a 2013 Road King with the 103. Like previous twin cams, I always added decent cams, exhaust and tuners to wake them up.

Bought a new 2018 Ultra Limited last year with the 107. Love the power and smoothness right out of the box. Didn't like the hydraulic clutch at first but am used to it now and don't even notice it.

Added a Pro-Pipe, Powervision Tuner and S&S air cleaner. Was going to throw a cam in but to be honest, it runs so well now, I have decided to skip the cam change and just ride it as is. Really like the liquid cooled heads. Did a ride through Death Valley last year in spring ( hottest temps were around 105 degrees) and the Milwaukee 8 never skipped a beat. Handled the hot weather with ease vs my previous twin cam motors that would get kind of cranky and complain when ambient temps climbed north of about 95 degrees.

Enjoy your new ride! :chop:
2018 Ultra Limited. Back in black!