March 28, 2024, 11:48:18 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

FXR solenoid starter push button for 1990

Started by egstandard, September 06, 2018, 04:01:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

egstandard

Why can't I find a manual starter solenoid push button that fits a 1990 stock fxrs. Bought two online and neither fit. They say they do, but don't. Anyone have first hand knowledge of which part number I need from a certain manufacturer? Thanks in advance.

Dan89flstc

I can`t say why you can`t find one of those buttons for a `90.

But seriously, the starting circuit on this bike is painfully simple.

Just do some periodic maintenance on the electrical connections and you won`t need this button.

Clean the four connections at the starter relay.
Clean the connection at the starter solenoid.
Clean the connection at the main breaker.

That is all there is to it, and you won`t need the button.

This has worked for me for 30 years on my `89 Softail (bought new in Feb `89).
US Navy Veteran
A&P Mechanic

egstandard

Did all of that, including the ground strap, couple of ground wires, and still every once in awhile, she just clicks. Push start the bike, and it may not do it again for months.

DresserDan

I have a 90 also. I could never find one. I am guessing they don't make one for that style of starter. You could always upgrade the starter. As far as I know the later models will fit. Or you can do this. I drilled a hole 5/16  + or - in the little dimple on the end of the starter. Then put a rubber plug in it to keep moister out. I took a bolt about 3-4 in long that fits in the hole. Then you take the plug out & stick the bolt in and push the solenoid and off you go. A philips screw driver works good also

egstandard

Yes, I know that trick. Might have to go that route. Thanks.

Evo160K

September 06, 2018, 09:03:38 PM #5 Last Edit: September 06, 2018, 09:15:15 PM by Evo160K
1990 FXSTC.  My solenoid housing switch came from Custom Cycle Engineering in Oceanside, Ca.  1-800.472.9253. 

The first one they sent didn't fit, so they asked me to send a photocopy of my gasket.  Compare your gasket to this page:  https://www.customcycleengineering.com/catalog_switch_image_lightbox.php   

Second one fit perfectly.  Also have one of their fork trusses.  Excellent company to do business with.......their quality and chroming are exceptional. 

https://www.customcycleengineering.com/Category/1/Solenoid_Housing_Switches-15

nibroc

Quote from: Evo160K on September 06, 2018, 09:03:38 PM
1990 FXSTC.  My solenoid housing switch came from Custom Cycle Engineering in Oceanside, Ca.  1-800.472.9253. 

The first one they sent didn't fit, so they asked me to send a photocopy of my gasket.  Compare your gasket to this page:  https://www.customcycleengineering.com/catalog_switch_image_lightbox.php   

Second one fit perfectly.  Also have one of their fork trusses.  Excellent company to do business with.......their quality and chroming are exceptional. 

yeah that^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

egstandard

Thanks for that info. Looks like I have a 2.0. I'll give them a shout.

pwmorris

I have a push button cap on my starter for back up insurance on my street bike FXR but have never needed it, except on my race bike, which I used it exclusively as no electric button.
If you have a very stout battery (fresh under load and not just showing 13 volts), and everything else up it snuff, it should be fine (verify wiring is good from button-also the buttons at the bars can go bad). For me, my issues were under my side cover with my starter relay. bought a few junk Chinese ones that failed and finally went to an Accel which solved my issues on the click, click starting sounds.

Accel starter relay # 40116-

Make sure you zip tie it to your connection as the vibration can work the connection loose.

DresserDan

Quote from: egstandard on September 07, 2018, 09:05:53 AM
Thanks for that info. Looks like I have a 2.0. I'll give them a shout.

I didn't know they had 2.0 starters on bikes in 1990 as stock or has it been replaced?

egstandard

It's stock. Maybe it isn't a 2.0, but that end cover sure looks right. And JP cycles says it will fit. We'll see.

FSG

pwmorris

Quote from: FSG on October 06, 2018, 04:00:13 PM
someone did their homework

Would that be you?
Do you actually run a push button start on your FXR? Better yet, do you actually own an FXR? Or did you "Google" the info?
Many people who might be new to riding or new to 30 year old Harleys, might not know how to wrench on it, know what and how to look for what is the correct application, or know how to ask the right question.
Do you work as a "teacher" for your day job? Give the guy a break-He is just trying to learn and get info here....not trying to be a "fake" expert like many on this site.

turboprop

Quote from: pwmorris on October 06, 2018, 05:40:29 PM
Quote from: FSG on October 06, 2018, 04:00:13 PM
someone did their homework

Would that be you?
Do you actually run a push button start on your FXR? Better yet, do you actually own an FXR? Or did you "Google" the info?
Many people who might be new to riding or new to 30 year old Harleys, might not know how to wrench on it, know what and how to look for what is the correct application, or know how to ask the right question.
Do you work as a "teacher" for your day job? Give the guy a break-He is just trying to learn and get info here....not trying to be a "fake" expert like many on this site.

That picture is from the Custom Cycle Engineering website:

'We' like this' - Said by the one man operation.

Scotty

Quote from: pwmorris on October 06, 2018, 05:40:29 PM
Would that be you?

Wow what's up your backside did you get a spanner stuck up it sideways and can't sit properly?

FSG was paying the original author of the photo a compliment "someone did their homework"

A few years ago I used to enjoy reading your posts but you seem to have become a very bitter twisted person from your replies to people here and on the v-twin forums.

Maybe pull your head in and remove the spanner and try to see posts for what they are.

Deye76

FSG is a wealth of knowledge, & spends a lot of time making life easier for members of this site. I appreciate all he does.
East Tenn.<br /> 2020 Lowrider S Touring, 2014 CVO RK,  1992 FXRP

kd

October 07, 2018, 07:15:33 AM #17 Last Edit: October 07, 2018, 11:16:26 AM by kd
 :agree:  I have never seen FSG dis anyone for their level of knowledge. He takes the high road and offers help or clarification in a respectful manner every time. Everyone starts learning somewhere and the type of learning experience they have forms the quality of the outcome and how they in turn pass on what they have learned.  :nix:
KD

Coyote

Quote from: Scotty on October 06, 2018, 11:21:20 PM

FSG was paying the original author of the photo a compliment "someone did their homework"

Exactly right.  :up:

DynaPat

I'm not yet ready to make the jump to a starter pushbutton, but I'm tempted.
97 FLHTCI, and last year it started just "clicking" when the button was pushed. Electronics and whatnot is my profession, so I quickly diagnosed the problem as a bad (under the seat) starter relay as the voltage going to the starter solenoid (that I rebuilt) was only 5 to 6 volts. The relay contacts were visibly pitted, and a quick burnishing with a genuine 60's / 70's burnishing tool yielded a temporary repair until the new relay arrived. New relay under the seat and all was puppy dogs and rainbows. For about 3 months. :angry:

Now it's doing it again, sometimes, but the solenoid is getting something close to 12V, and nada. Click click click. DAFUQ? Next year I'll be taking it apart again and checking the brushes. All the usual things like grounds and whatnot have been gone over, and gone over again. I bet Toyota's that use this starter don't have this issue.

Oh, about 55K miles if it matters.

kd

How old is your battery. Have you had it checked. A low output may not be pulling the contact plate in hard and fast enough. The result could be a pitted and carboned set of contact plates over time.
KD

Dan89flstc

For the relay to provide full system voltage, it and its electrical connections must be in good condition, but also the circuit that supplies power to the relay must be in good working condition.
US Navy Veteran
A&P Mechanic

farmall

Quote from: DynaPat on October 07, 2018, 12:22:40 PM
I'm not yet ready to make the jump to a starter pushbutton, but I'm tempted.
97 FLHTCI, and last year it started just "clicking" when the button was pushed. Electronics and whatnot is my profession, so I quickly diagnosed the problem as a bad (under the seat) starter relay as the voltage going to the starter solenoid (that I rebuilt) was only 5 to 6 volts. The relay contacts were visibly pitted, and a quick burnishing with a genuine 60's / 70's burnishing tool yielded a temporary repair until the new relay arrived. New relay under the seat and all was puppy dogs and rainbows. For about 3 months. :angry:

Now it's doing it again, sometimes, but the solenoid is getting something close to 12V, and nada. Click click click. DAFUQ? Next year I'll be taking it apart again and checking the brushes. All the usual things like grounds and whatnot have been gone over, and gone over again. I bet Toyota's that use this starter don't have this issue.

Oh, about 55K miles if it matters.
Toyota starters have a far easier life than Harley starters. Cars have car-sized batteries with enough CCA to get the job done. Both are from the same company.

You can parallel two of the little Bosch style relays. Sockets are inexpensive. Get the "heavy duty" sockets and a 30 or 40A relay. Common at auto stores.

Your '97 has the excellent Denso OSGR starter used on millions of cars and trucks. Replacement solenoid contacts are cheap and easy to install. The kits are the same parts used on cars and have multiple retail sellers.

The good ones contain what you see here:  https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01D6HAYGI/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1   

If the nut won't come off an old stud I cut the stud off with an abrasive disk.

Your brushes are likely fine at 55K but with the starter off to swap contacts it's easy to check and clean the commutator if you wish.

The push button covers are cheap (the most common fit your stock starter) and take minutes to install. If your exhaust gets in the way I'd install one anyway because you can still reach them if necessary.  I've used a variety and these work well. So do the stamped steel versions but modern chrome pits quickly and the cast covers aren't steel so they don't rust.  They take minutes to install. There's no reason not to run one.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Pyramid-Push-Button-Starter-Solenoid-Cover-Harley-Big-Twins-Evo-TC-17758-/222536275694

egstandard

Thanks to those who posted those pics from Custom Cycle Engineering. And to all for your advice.

Alan S

I must have lucked out. I got one for my 1990 FXRS first time. I've only used it once since I installed it, but it prevented a very embarrassing moment.
If the women don't find ya handsome, at least let 'em find ya handy.
Red Green