April 15, 2024, 09:56:46 PM

News:

hot rod bar hopper Evo engine

Started by Mick93, December 08, 2018, 12:44:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mick93

throwing together an Evo engine as a bar hopper/city bike,

must be able to hold its own in the traffic light drags, got a good mix of parts so far but also curious to hear from anyone who has a good combo of their own to build a solid street fighter engine

lets hear your views.....thanks in advance

hbkeith

that depends on how much money you want to spend , and what bike you have

Hossamania

Which parts have you collected so far?
I think Turboprop has built some killer evos.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

Mick93

Quote from: hbkeith on December 08, 2018, 01:00:39 PM
that depends on how much money you want to spend , and what bike you have

more curious to hear of other peoples combos that have been strong running engines, I have all parts on the shelf ready to go, it will be going into an early 4 speed frame and at the moment, not for highway riding just traffic light wars and bar hopping

Mick93

Quote from: Hossamania on December 08, 2018, 01:12:19 PM

so far I have a pair of Branch heads, 4 5/8 stroker crank, roller rockers, Leienweber E5s cam, Mikuni HSR42, Dyna2000i ignition, 2 into 1 Kerker pipe, planning on running about 10.5:1 compression

89" as wasnt too keen on risking the cases for big bore

Hossamania

If you go to the Dyno section and type Evo in the search bar, a few builds will show up, a place to start anyway.
You've got some good parts to start, that's for sure. Good feedback will be forthcoming soon from those that have done done some strong builds.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

Mick93

thanks for the tip, I will go look at the dyno thread

Ohio HD

Quote from: Mick93 on December 08, 2018, 01:21:41 PM
thanks for the tip, I will go look at the dyno thread

Don't look too long in the regular dyno section, not many Evo's there. Look in the Dyno "archive" section. Some sheets will be long gone though.

http://harleytechtalk.com/htt/index.php?board=91.0

I've used the E5S cams years ago in 80" Evo's. Good all around cam, but not a big top end performer.

Mick93

December 08, 2018, 02:44:59 PM #8 Last Edit: December 08, 2018, 02:49:08 PM by Mick93
Quote from: Ohio HD on December 08, 2018, 02:41:59 PM

I've used the E5S cams years ago in 80" Evo's. Good all around cam, but not a big top end performer.

thanks for the info, not overly concerned with the top end especially with the 4 5/8" stroke, Torque is king on the street and good tq and a light bike will be the goal...

Ohio HD

Quote from: Mick93 on December 08, 2018, 02:44:59 PM
Quote from: Ohio HD on December 08, 2018, 02:41:59 PM

thanks for the info, not overly concerned with the top end especially with the 4 5/8" stroke, Torque is king on the street and good tq and a light bike will be the goal...

We'll have to agree to disagree.   

Mick93

Quote from: Ohio HD on December 08, 2018, 03:06:32 PM
We'll have to agree to disagree.

happy to hear your perspective and advice

turboprop

Regardless of torque vs top end horsepower, an 89" eve with 10.5 compression in a lighter bike (harley never made a light weight big twin chassis) is not going to win any wars. Perhaps against some heavy weight bagger with a built 124, but why bother. I do a bit of street racing and have a fleet (three bikes) of FXRs with 124" engines. Red is 158h/148t TC124, Black is 168h/150t Evo 124 and Blue should do 140h/150t (touring build) TC124. With this much power in a light weight FXR with inverted forks, aluminum swing arms, the bike is heavy. On short stop light to stoplight bursts I can take many sport bikes, but once the distance is increased they will walk away. Curious to know what you expect to line up against with that 89" Evo in a four speed frame.

FWIW, that 89" (3.5" bore x 4.625" stroke) evo is a good platform, but not for street fighting. IME, an 88" (3-⅝" bore x 4-¼" stroke) is a much better platform overall. Not going to win many street races with it, but it will be faster than a comparably built 89". Best of luck.
'We' like this' - Said by the one man operation.

Mick93

December 08, 2018, 05:15:38 PM #12 Last Edit: December 08, 2018, 05:23:53 PM by Mick93
yeah, I know, its not the best combo or the king of cubes but its a budget build and will be better than a stock 80" Evo...

i know it will be no match for any 100" plus engines with some go fast goodies, but it should still go pretty hard for an Evo..... thats the goal anyway

what other parts combo's have people used that built a strong runner?

Tommy D

Acts 4:12

turboprop

Quote from: Mick93 on December 08, 2018, 05:15:38 PM
yeah, I know, its not the best combo or the king of cubes but its a budget build and will be better than a stock 80" Evo...

i know it will be no match for any 100" plus engines with some go fast goodies, but it should still go pretty hard for an Evo..... thats the goal anyway

what other parts combo's have people used that built a strong runner?

Look at cams with >.600" lift and a somewhat short intake close. Wood 6HE and 6HF are good examples, many others out there.  Camshaft flavor of the month is Cycle Rama. I have personal experience with the 6HF cam. At 10.5 compression it is a very torquey. Unlike the Wood twin cam grinds who's noise seems to infuriate the TC crowd, his evo grinds are very quiet. Again, there are many other cams out there that will do the same thing.

wfolarry

Quote from: Mick93 on December 08, 2018, 01:16:37 PM
Quote from: Hossamania on December 08, 2018, 01:12:19 PM

so far I have a pair of Branch heads, 4 5/8 stroker crank, roller rockers, Leienweber E5s cam, Mikuni HSR42, Dyna2000i ignition, 2 into 1 Kerker pipe, planning on running about 10.5:1 compression

89" as wasnt too keen on risking the cases for big bore

I'd have those heads checked, go with a Redshift 576 or a V Thunder 585. Built a lot of 89 inchers with the 575 from HD or Zippers that ran great. The Woods cams that Ed mentioned will also work good but they are high lift. Make sure your heads can handle it. If not the 6 or the 6H might be a better fit. I like the V Thunder cams but have had good luck with all of them.

turboprop

I ran a RedShift 575 in an 88" (3-⅝" bore x 4-¼" stroke). I think the compression was around 10.8. Bike ran well. Cam was silent, almost stock like. I beat that bike up and down the east coast riding with a club. While that bike was faster than most everyone's that I rode with, it was no way near the power level expected of a street fighter.

Mick93

the heads will easily handle 0.600" lift as they are, they have high lift springs and titanium top collars, the roller rockers are 1.675 ratio as well which takes the Leieney cam up to 0.560" lift which should be ok. the heads being what they are (Branch which I know is old tech) have a nice bathtub chamber and the inlet and exhaust ports appear to be very nicely done, bigger inlet valves as well and the heads should work well for this application

wfolarry

hbkeith

sounds like you got it all planned

Mick93

thanks guys, yep, pretty much got it all planned,

like originally stated, pretty much just a bar hopper for the sake of having something that doesnt need much TLC

Hillside Motorcycle

Quote from: Mick93 on December 08, 2018, 12:44:31 PM
throwing together an Evo engine as a bar hopper/city bike,

must be able to hold its own in the traffic light drags, got a good mix of parts so far but also curious to hear from anyone who has a good combo of their own to build a solid street fighter engine

lets hear your views.....thanks in advance

96"
Wood 8, or 9B
Heads that roll 280 cfm-up
S&S G w/Thunderjet
Dyna 2000i
10.7 with the 8, 10.85 with the 9B
T/header, Pro Pipe, Supertrapp will all work.
Good combos we have built many times.
Otto Knowbetter sez, "Even a fish wouldn't get caught if he kept his mouth shut"

RTMike

wood#8, 10.5:1,Branch#4 heads with  degree pistons,super E carb,Hi4 ignition with 2into 2 4 inch supertraps made 93 hp 86 torque.This was a 80 inch build in a FXRS.This cam is noisy.
Have used Wood 6H with 10:1 comp with good results.Comp 3030 works good with either of these builds.

Hillside Motorcycle

#8 cam, 80", is on Woods website we built well over 20 years ago.
103 hp if I recall.
Supertrapp 2/1, 42 Mik, Axtell angle-top pistons.
Otto Knowbetter sez, "Even a fish wouldn't get caught if he kept his mouth shut"

PkgMan

I have an '87 Heritage with the S&S 89" kit in it with Branch heads, S&S E carb and S&S 561 cam.  The motor has been super dependable for over 70K+ miles.  Runs strong as hell. (3) 3,800 miles to Sturgis at waaay over the speed limits

I would suggest you get compression releases if the heads do not already have them

PkgMan

speed limit

I ran a 93' Evo  3 3/4 x 4 1/4  back in the day with Branch #5 heads,JE 11.1 pistons, andrews ev 59 cam and a white Bros. e pipe that made close to a 100 hp
If it don`t scare you, It ain`t fast enough.

Burnout

Quote from: speed limit on December 17, 2018, 12:43:06 PM
white Bros. e pipe

I wish someone still made these, I think they might be better than a ThunderHeader.
They don't call me Ironhead Rick just because I'm "hard headed"

wfolarry

Quote from: Burnout on December 17, 2018, 01:07:36 PM
Quote from: speed limit on December 17, 2018, 12:43:06 PM
white Bros. e pipe

I wish someone still made these, I think they might be better than a ThunderHeader.

fuelmoto sells the E series exhaust which is essentially the same thing. Have one on my bike.

Hillside Motorcycle

Those White Bros. E pipes worked really well.
We have one hanging on the wall by the dyno room.(along with various others)
If we have a suspicion that a given exhaust is not cooperating, we've installed it, and that ends any questions at that point.
They are best used up to about 110-113".....after that they can/will pinch peak hp.
I know that a member here once claimed 160 hp/124", from a White Bros E pipe.......negative Ghost Rider.
Scott

Mick93

good info there, thanks guys, I will definitely look into the compression releases before I put it together, where is the best spot to locate them on an Evo Head?