April 18, 2024, 03:36:12 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

changing to carb from fuel injection

Started by bobrk1, December 17, 2018, 04:14:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bobrk1

Putting  in a S & S crate  motor  comes with  a  carb and ignition , was told  that new wiring  harness  is needed ,  I  think  wiring  in ignition  it will  be  fine  but  told a lot of things  like  blinkers won't  work , anyone  done  this  what  did you  have  to  do? Thanks 

Hossamania

If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

bobrk1

rigidthumper

The turn signals, brake lamps, headlight, etc, should all be fine.
The ignition harness will be different, as you are removing the ECM and it's associated wiring. The carb harness for the 1996 RK ignition module is 32435-94. I believe you will need it, or its equivalent from an aftermarket producer.
Ignorance is bliss, and accuracy expensive. How much of either can you afford?

kd

KD

Mick93

We are in the process of doing exactly this to a 97 Road King....

just done a conversion to convert the 80" to 96" after a major blowup

capn

If you are putting that S&S carb motor into a mm fuel injected bike it wont work because the flywheel needs to be notched for fuel injection. If you are doing away with fuel injection and keeping the S&S carb and ignition it will work and you dont need a new wiring harness.

thumper 823

In my opinion, it is just on the other side of insane to go From crab to FI without a good reason.
The ONLY reason I can fathom is adding a turbo or some other Artificial induction.
A carb is about as fail proof as one can get.
I dont feel that way at all about sensors, computers, injectors and all sorts of other crap that can make you get towed.
D Troop 3/5, - C/16 ,162AHC, Mekong delta.
Rising from the Ashes  UHIH

PoorUB

I was wondering how long it would take for a "carb lover" to pipe up!  :hyst:

I don't know why anyone would want a carb compared to Dephi EFI! I have run both over the years and will take EFI. As for the dependability argument we don't see that many problems posted here on EFI. It is a very dependable system.
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

Deye76

Delphi is very dependable. MM on the other hand, over time, is frustrating at best. In the case of MM, carb is the way to go.

East Tenn.<br /> 2020 Lowrider S Touring, 2014 CVO RK,  1992 FXRP

turboprop

As usual, nobody actually reads or answers what this or any OP asks. Good grief.

OP - That S&S engine could come with couple different ignition systems. If it comes with the module inside the cam cover, there is no wiring harness required as the module gets wired directly to the coil and VOES switch. The only place the oem harness will touch the ignition system is a switched 12 VDC lead to the coil. Done.  If the engine is coming with their (S&S) external module that includes a knock sensor, then it will require a specific harness from S&S, not the factory. I have done this both ways, all of the bikes electrical functions will not be affected by either type of ignition system.

'We' like this' - Said by the one man operation.

bobrk1