April 26, 2024, 08:57:33 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

86 Clutch Shell Ring Gear Walked

Started by _Brian_, December 18, 2018, 11:42:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

_Brian_

December 18, 2018, 11:42:16 PM Last Edit: December 19, 2018, 07:03:11 AM by _Brian_
Anyone seen this before? Looks like the ring gear on the clutch shell walked inboard about 1/8 inch. The gears rub just slightly on the starter gear.

Bike is an 86 FXR completely stock with 31K miles and was bought off original owner last week. He said dealer replaced belt last year and he doesnt recall hearing the noise in primary afterwards. Bike has sat since...hmmm Bike shifts through all gears and when I drained primary, it had very minimal clutch dust on magnet. Starter gear seems to be retracted all the way also.

[attach=0,msg1272496]

_Brian_

UPDATE:
UPDATE: Pulled everything apart and noticed you could rock the clutch basket shell side to side about 3/16.  Either the Pilot "Hub" bearing is bad or the inner hub cracked. Didnt get a chance to press out the hub yet. Chain adjustment was also too tight. Tried rocking transmission shaft and fortunately it was solid.  Im guessing this play caused the ring gear to start walking off due to the slight wobble. I did put the basket in freezer for an hour and used a punch to tap the ring gear back on flush. Just need time to press out hub and verify bearing or crack.

david lee

Dan89flstc

It does look like the ring gear has moved inboard, but hard to say what caused this to happen.

A little wobble on these clutches is normal.

I would not put much money into this clutch assembly, if you need to replace a hub or shell you would be better off finding a later model clutch (90-93 model year) and upgrade to a splined mainshaft.

US Navy Veteran
A&P Mechanic

Burnout

Yep it is a failure waiting to happen, :turd:  Hub splits, and key rolls, ruins input shaft  :turd:   :turd:
There is no fix, the hub bearing is too small ID (not enough meat to have keyway without splitting).

I will not work on them, only replace.

You can pick up a take out gearset on Ebay for cheap to get the splined shaft.

The ring gear on the newer clutch baskets bolts on and you can buy either gear as needed. (wont walk)
They don't call me Ironhead Rick just because I'm "hard headed"