April 24, 2024, 05:35:54 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Swingarm parts

Started by hbkeith, December 20, 2018, 01:48:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hbkeith

FXR swingarm parts such as the 47564-86b  Donuts isolater fork mounts , whatever want to call them . are they all made the same by the aftermarket or some to avoid ?

turboprop

The differences between the oem rubbers, aftermarket oem style rubbers and aftermarket different style rubbers (ie GlidePro, etc), have been debated on this page countless times. Maxheadflow did some pretty good A-B-C comparison posts. Seems like the general consensus in most of the taste great/less filling debates where that the oem units where 'The Best!'. But who knows how this discussion will go now. Everyone will chime in with that what they bought is best, etc, etc. IME, the Glide Pro stuff is softer than the oem units and the aftermarket oem style stuff doesn't seem to last very long. I have cycled all three types through my various FXRs over the years and have come to the conclusion that the differences between the hardest and the softest of them doesn't really affect much. But, this is me and my FXRs, the TC bagger crowd will probably have very different emotions about these components.
'We' like this' - Said by the one man operation.

Deye76

FWIW the OE mounts on my 04' Roadglide had 100,000 miles on them when the guy I sold the bike to, changed them. On my FXR I have no complaints with the Harley parts. YMMV
East Tenn.<br /> 2020 Lowrider S Touring, 2014 CVO RK,  1992 FXRP

hbkeith

thumper 823

As i have said in other places I went with Oem stuff and a 3rd link,  Tour master I think.
Reason?
After many delusions, consultations, indecisions it finally came to light what the rubber was all about in the first place.
It is supposed to isolate the vibration from the occupants and yes there are other products available.
Albeit the Hd way of doing it left a lot of lateral play back there.
Yes, there are metal bearings parts in the aftermarket as an option....I have no clue about comfort.
After my install with the 3rd link,(OEM ) It all made a positive ride with no steer wonder, "tar snake" slip at all.
None whatsoever!
Two up and heavy,  it is the most predictable platform I have ever been on.
Now I am a butt head with several anile problems and I check the alignment myself almost every year.
Laser levels and strings are so dang cheap anymore anyone can buy them and do it.
It takes a little practice and a couple hours on the bench the first time (maybe more) but well worth it .
Want to do a quickie check?
But a couple mag levels that read in fractions and inches.
Toss your magnetic levels on front and rear disk.
Load the bike with your weight.
I bet they will not read the same thing.
If your rubber stuff and swing arm bushings are over 5 years old I bet it is just wondering heard of elephants in a turn.
Replace all the stuff and add the 3rd link.
D Troop 3/5, - C/16 ,162AHC, Mekong delta.
Rising from the Ashes  UHIH

hbkeith

Tour Master 3rd link ?  thought they just did riding gear