April 25, 2024, 11:24:54 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Jackshaft

Started by Deye76, December 29, 2018, 01:13:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Deye76

Got a new starter for the FXR. See they offer a one piece jackshaft. What's the deal on these besides a easier install? Kind of pricey, are they worth it?
East Tenn.<br /> 2020 Lowrider S Touring, 2014 CVO RK,  1992 FXRP

pwmorris

Yes, for high HP applications.
https://www.allballsracing.com/79-2105.html
Make sure you start the bike with a very strong battery, cables, starter, etc.
One piece JS is just one more piece to a successful recipe, and a bit of insurance should there be any kickback or failed motor start under load.

Deye76

Thank you. That's the one I was looking at.

hbkeith

Hey Deye , was the stock starter having hard time spinning the 113 ? what did you replace it with ?

turboprop

Quote from: Deye76 on December 29, 2018, 01:13:48 PM
Got a new starter for the FXR. See they offer a one piece jackshaft. What's the deal on these besides a easier install? Kind of pricey, are they worth it?

Have heard a couple of our mutual friends proclaim the wonders the one-piece shafts. I put one in my red bike, didn't see any noticeable difference. From a manufacturing perspective, the one-piece design has got to cost much less to manufacture and sell. 
'We' like this' - Said by the one man operation.

pwmorris

I learned about the one piece JS from a couple Outlaw AMRA racers as well as an old SP AHDRA racer. After destroying a couple of mine with weak starters and understand the hard way the violence and kickback big HP motors do, (both street and race bikes), I have run them exclusively and no issues since....again, just a little more insurance, and less parts to fail during the starting process. Eliminate a weak link and move on.
Of course if you have EZ's it's a different conversation as they are a complete engine starting game changer.

DresserDan

What does this do for kick back?

pwmorris

December 30, 2018, 04:39:02 PM #7 Last Edit: December 30, 2018, 04:54:47 PM by pwmorris
The whole starting system takes a beating, not just the ring gear and starter.
The coupling, spring design was engineered for 60 HP Evos, not more than double that.
Stock bikes or bikes that have EZ's, its a different game.

Deye76

Quote from: hbkeith on December 30, 2018, 12:56:17 PM
Hey Deye , was the stock starter having hard time spinning the 113 ? what did you replace it with ?

A stock starter in good shape IME will spin a 113" ok as long as you have compression releases. My starter spins good provided the compression releases are engaged. Being it's 27 years old, I think it makes sense to replace. If I still had the 80" motor, I probably would run the OE.  The new one is a All Balls 1.7. Going to replace the relay as I assume it's old too, and may as well go with AB jackshaft while I'm at it. Have a new LI battery and Terry cables already, so should be a healthy system.

pwmorris

Quote from: Deye76 on December 30, 2018, 04:51:43 PM
Quote from: hbkeith on December 30, 2018, 12:56:17 PM

A stock starter in good shape IME will spin a 113" ok as long as you have compression releases. My starter spins good provided the compression releases are engaged. Being it's 27 years old, I think it makes sense to replace. If I still had the 80" motor, I probably would run the OE.  The new one is a All Balls 1.7. Going to replace the relay as I assume it's old too, and may as well go with AB jackshaft while I'm at it. Have a new LI battery and Terry cables already, so should be a healthy system.
:up:

ecir50

My only beef is no locking tabs for the bolts but it does have some kind of tapered washers that suspect serves the same purpose. If your starter uses the smaller screw don't put it tight snapped the threads in the starter once luckily had a spare and the stud came out the starter easy.