April 18, 2024, 09:41:29 PM

News:

Main drive needle bearings

Started by maverickmechanic213, December 30, 2018, 06:39:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

maverickmechanic213

Hello everybody

Project at hand: 93 Fatboy with stock 5 speed.
Does anyone know the proper distance (HD spec) how far inward the main drive gear needle bearings have to be pressed back in when replacing them? I measured originals before removing them but I would like to know actual spec.

I am doing a complete transmission rebuild, but my book doesn't give that spec unfortunately.  I do not have the special tool, but I have access to ample shop equipment and a various presses. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

hdbikedoc

Since you measured before put them back to the measurement sould work fine done this many times when I don't have the tool
Keep your feet on the pegs and your right hand cranked

maverickmechanic213

I will - however, while waiting for other rebuild components, I figured I'd try to find the right numbers

Scotty

0.080 inch from both ends.................But the special tool presses the oil seal in as well from the clutch side and finishes hard against the oil seal so there may be a small variance depending on the thickness of the oil seal. I have never measured if there is it's just may make a tiny difference.

ghostrider

Doesn't one of them go deeper, like .120 or something?  I replaced mine a while ago and I remember one went deeper, not sure how important it is.

maverickmechanic213

Ghostrider - that is correct.  The clutch side bearing does go in deeper to allow clearence for the seal.  The .080" may be to the surface of the seal.

Scotty

I said I never measured the thickness of the seal so that must be .040 so it's not much but it does make difference if you don't press the seal in at the same time. That is why I use the HD tool. But good to know if you don't use the tool how far extra to push them in.

When you use the tool you press the bearing in from the clutch side with one end of the tool first then you put the seal in then turn the tool over and press in with that end until  hard against the seal. That end of the tool equals .080 so it all makes sense.