April 19, 2024, 11:34:20 AM

News:

S&S automatic compression releases

Started by AllenZ, January 02, 2019, 04:24:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AllenZ

I have a S&S 124 Evolution create engine in my dresser. I have it down, over the wither, for a top end clean up. I was getting excessive leak down. This is the Super Side Winder cylinder heads with the S&S automatic compression releases.

I remember reading some ware that it is better to install the Harley automatic compression releases as they bleed off more. If I remember correctly it was stated that some fabrication was necessary as the S&S automatic compression releases are a different size than the Harley automatic compression releases. I can not find the post now and it may have been for a twin cam engine.

Can anyone tell me if there is a benefit or even possible to replace the S&S automatic compression releases with the Harley S&S automatic compression releases.

Thank in advance.

1989 FLHTC 124 S&S Bored to 127, Hillside Stage 3 cylinder heads, S&S 6 speed.

Ohio HD

AllenZ

Thanks Ohio HD that tells me it can be done. Now the question is it worth it as do the Harley compression releases out perform the S&S.
1989 FLHTC 124 S&S Bored to 127, Hillside Stage 3 cylinder heads, S&S 6 speed.

turboprop

Quote from: AllenZ on January 02, 2019, 08:36:58 PM
Thanks Ohio HD that tells me it can be done. Now the question is it worth it as do the Harley compression releases out perform the S&S.

I have engines with both types. IME they both last about the same length of time. The difference is the haley ones can be sourced at any dealership. Very few if and dealerships stock the S&S units, and neither do most indi shops. The tool to install and remove the S&S units is a two-piece design and can easily be done with the rocker boxes (S&S) installed and in the frame. The tool for the oem releases in one size, and I am not sure if it can be used with the rocker boxes installed and in the frame. It might be too long.
'We' like this' - Said by the one man operation.

CarlosGGodfrog

Why are auto releases installed in a different location than manual releases ? Standardization would be nice for size and location in this industry.

Hossamania

Manual releases were add ons, and had to be accessible.
Automatic releases do not need to be accessible, and can be hidden away for looks. I think they would be pretty ugly next to the spark plugs with a wire hanging out there.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

cheech

Quote from: CarlosGGodfrog on January 03, 2019, 08:36:12 AM
Why are auto releases installed in a different location than manual releases ? Standardization would be nice for size and location in this industry.
Because the auto/ electronic releases are about 4 to 5 times bigger than the manual ones.