April 24, 2024, 04:42:14 AM

News:

SEPST or DJPV?

Started by Xyzzy, September 11, 2018, 04:40:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Xyzzy

I have a 2018 Softail with the M8 engine.

My bike is completely stock except for slip-on mufflers. (I haven't put them on yet.)

The catalytic converter is in the mufflers so when I put the slip-ons on there will no longer be a catalytic converter on the bike.

The intake is stock. As mentioned, the only mod is the slip-ons.

QUESTION:

Do I buy a SEPST or a DJPV tuner?

SEPST:

+ I keep the warranty. (I can put the stock mufflers back on if I need warranty work.)
- Limited tuning potential. (Enough for just slip-ons?)

DJPV:

+ Unlimited tuning potential.
- I lose my warranty.

FWIW, I don't need more power. I just want smooth fuelling and and a bike that doesn't sound like an angry sewing machine.

PS - The slip-ons:

https://cobrausa-vtwin.com/softailsreg/flsl_softail_slim_18_18/motorcycle_exhausts/slip_ons/3_inch_rpt_slip_on_mufflers/6057/

Hossamania

Do you want to keep the warranty?
Answer that, you answer your question.
I would think for just a muffler change, the SE tuner will do just fine.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

Xyzzy

"Will the SEPST will be able to tune that combo?" is the question I'm asking myself.

I've never needed a warranty on a Harley but it sure is nice knowing that I have one in case something bad happens.

:smilep:

Hossamania

If the SE tuner can't handle a simple muffler change, there is no reason for it to exist.
Having said that, I can't categorically say that it will, but it sure should.
I'm sure someone will chime in shortly with much more knowledge than I.
If the warranty is not a deal killer, I would go Power Vision all the way. Not even a choice at that point.

1FSTRK

Maybe this will help you........ or maybe just confuse things more?
http://harleytechtalk.com/htt/index.php?topic=100984.msg1185116#msg1185116

I would go PV myself but I would never stop with just slip-ons
"Never hang on to a mistake just because you spent time or money making it."

Xyzzy

Very interesting!

I wonder what would happen if I used the SEPST "Stage 2" flash on my "Stage 0.5" build?

I have a PV so it will cost me $300 if I buy the SEPST but only $200 for a license for the PV.

FWIW, I have no interest in adding other parts. Just the slip-ons.

PoorUB

September 13, 2018, 07:29:31 AM #6 Last Edit: September 13, 2018, 12:20:36 PM by PoorUB
Pretty sure just adding non-EPA mufflers will void the warranty anyway. My understanding is to maintain warranty any mods need to be EPA approved.

I missed the part about putting the mufflers back on. What happens if you are 500 miles from home when it dies?
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

rigidthumper

If I were worried about having possible warranty issues, I would have the SE mufflers, SE Air cleaner and SE tuner done at a dealer. Don't give em any ammunition...
Ignorance is bliss, and accuracy expensive. How much of either can you afford?

Hossamania

Quote from: rigidthumper on September 13, 2018, 07:34:01 AM
If I were worried about having possible warranty issues, I would have the SE mufflers, SE Air cleaner and SE tuner done at a dealer. Don't give em any ammunition...

That.

PoorUB

IMO, you void the warranty yourself, or run approved mods.
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

Xyzzy

A mature and responsible person would put on the "approved" parts with the "approved" tune.

Since I'm neither mature or responsible I bought a new license for my PV today.

Xyzzy

A follow-up:

I put the slip-ons on today and flashed the ECM with the tune Jamie sent me. I rode a quick 300 miles to see if anything weird would pop up but everything works great! If I can figure out how to do the auto-tune deal I will do that. Right now my focus is on trying to calibrate my speedometer/odometer to my GPS unit. My bike runs 3% fast.

Xyzzy

Quote from: Xyzzy on September 18, 2018, 07:54:24 PM
Right now my focus is on trying to calibrate my speedometer/odometer to my GPS unit. My bike runs 3% fast.

It ended up that my bike was 5.3% fast. I adjusted the pulses/km setting and now, over a 100 mile stretch, compared to my GPS, the bike is within 0.1 miles, or 0.1%.

This is the GPS I use to calibrate speedometers. It is a lot of fun to play with since it is so small. I've put it on remote control cars, dogs and all sorts or weird things!

https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/508487

(I got it on sale for $100)