March 28, 2024, 10:14:26 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Length of time to properly tune a cammed twinkie

Started by DeneFLHR, September 17, 2018, 01:09:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DeneFLHR

I have done quite a bit of searching trying to find somebody who knows dyno tuning with the PV2.
After someone mentioned some possible companies I thought I'd try to phone one of them that tweaked my interest this morning and he sounded very nice (and actually prefers the PV).
He said a typical tune with my little cams and headwork runs about 2-3 hours.
I thought a comprehensive tune, (which I said I wanted, not just a wide open pull or two to get big numbers), takes a lot longer?
Or do they have tricks that other guys don't know of?
2019 FLTRX "Fin"

PoorUB

I have had three tunes done by the same guy and he took a minimum of five hours. I don't  believe  you can get you money's  worth in three hours.
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

98fxstc

Pro tuners keep a library of calibrations
If they have a calibration that is close for your combination they will be able to dial it in a lot quicker
That being said, I would think they would err on the side of caution with any up front estimates.

Coyote

You didn't list the motor mods or cam but if it's a common build, it may not take more than a couple of hours for an experienced tuner.

DeneFLHR

Quote from: Coyote on September 17, 2018, 05:00:37 PM
You didn't list the motor mods or cam but if it's a common build, it may not take more than a couple of hours for an experienced tuner.
Sorry, I guess that would help.
TW222
Air cleaner
Stock decat/Mellows
All I know is the pathetic tune I received from the dealer had far more butt dyno power that the canned FM map.
The chart they gave me said 108/94, (but run-a-bility was in the toilet, hence the FM map again). Mileage numbers between both the same, (very good), extreme decel pop with the tuned map, FM decel popping but not as much, and smaller pops.
2019 FLTRX "Fin"

Jamie Long

Quote from: DeneFLHR on September 17, 2018, 07:34:02 PM
Quote from: Coyote on September 17, 2018, 05:00:37 PM
Sorry, I guess that would help.
TW222
Air cleaner
Stock decat/Mellows
All I know is the pathetic tune I received from the dealer had far more butt dyno power that the canned FM map.
The chart they gave me said 108/94, (but run-a-bility was in the toilet, hence the FM map again). Mileage numbers between both the same, (very good), extreme decel pop with the tuned map, FM decel popping but not as much, and smaller pops.

There is no reason your combination should take more than a couple hours to tune, however you also need factor in time for cold start testing, preparing the bike for tuning, loading & unloading it from the dyno etc.

I actually tuned a nearly identical 96" combination this morning in about an hour and a half. Note this was tuning time only as the bike was set to go on the dyno when I started.

08 FLH, TW-222 cams, JP Street Outlaw mufflers