Help me retrieve current file with Super Tuner

Started by caulk04, October 03, 2018, 04:30:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

caulk04

My new bike came with a Harley Super Tuner Pro (orange) and I've purchased the cables and would like to do a little tweaking here and there (mostly to idle speed) but I'm needing a little help.

I did not receive a copy of the current, supposed dyno, tune on a flash drive and I'm wondering how to pull the current tune out of the bike/VCI so I can keep a copy of this tune before I do any meddling. I have paperwork that shows the base tune being loaded at an Indy, then a dyno performed at, I believe, a dealer.

I get the bike connected fine but when it asks me to load a base calibration, the VCI tab doesn't bring anything up. Just one line that's all question marks. If I try to select manually and look under the VCI folder there, nothing is present.

I'm hoping I can do something with this software before I give in and plug in the fresh FP3 I have sitting on the shelf.

Many thanks!

kd

October 03, 2018, 07:14:14 PM #1 Last Edit: October 03, 2018, 09:31:26 PM by kd
STAY AWAY FROM THAT SHELF.  :crook:  I think there will be many qualified tuners on here tell you that the SE tuner you have right now is a decent tuner with lots of adjustment. You should be able to download your tune into the SE program to read it and make mods. You need to be into the SE tuner software program to do it.  What I don't know is if the MOCO has crippled or can cripple it with the updates it asks for when you hook up to the internet. There was some discussion about it when the big EPA thing hit. I had the PRO tuner on my 120 but switched out to TTS for other reasons (gear changes and tuning goals).  Hopefully someone will chime in with the answers before you lose your patience.
KD

rigidthumper

Open the program. Click accept, home screen, tuning, continue, select VCI tab: Hook cables up to the VCI & the bike, turn run/stop switch to run position, then turn ignition on. Click on the map ID that appears in the VCI window, then click Open. NOTE- this has to be done before updating the VCI, as updating the VCI can erase the last flashed map, which is what you are trying to recover. Make sure the map is retrieved before allowing the VCI to be updated.
Ignorance is bliss, and accuracy expensive. How much of either can you afford?

98fxstc

Thanks Robin
I bookmarked this one
Not for me (TTS) but certainly helpful to pass on

caulk04

Sorry for not including bike info, slipped my mind. 2011 FLHX 103 with stage 1 intake, V&H dresser duals, Rinehart 4" pipes and SE255 cams. The tune isn't bad at all and returns good mileage (40-41 so far), I'm quite happy with the rideability of it but I do think it could use a little more timing up top as it feels softer than my last bike which was very similar. The idle needs to come down though, idles much to high while warming up.

I'm pretty sure that it already prompted me to update the VCI and I completed that...so I may have boned myself there. I'll check the records I have for a date that the tune was done, but it's been several years I'm sure. I may contact the dealer that did the tune and see if they have and can provide me with the tune file.

moose

STOP 

before you do anything open the program on your computer and find LastUpdate.txt and change that date to the date you open it up and time otherwise your device will get overwritten by the program once it hooks up to the update program.
by changing the date to the current date and time it will no look to change it
10/04/2018 07:58:44 AM
example if you do it today     
Moose aka Glenn-

rigidthumper

Quote from: 98fxstc on October 04, 2018, 01:40:12 AM
Thanks Robin
I bookmarked this one
Not for me (TTS) but certainly helpful to pass on
:up:
Map extraction from the TTS Blue VCI works without hooking up to the bike, map extraction from the black VCI is impossible.
Ignorance is bliss, and accuracy expensive. How much of either can you afford?

BVHOG

Interesting on the updates losing the VCI info, I have not had that happen yet and just about every Supertuner that comes in needs updating.  I have never seen that ???? message but with the constant updates maybe it is something new.
If you don't have a sense of humor you probably have no sense at all.

moose

BV   you are right everyone needs updating but they update with new epa required updates    if you have an original sept you might not want the new updates     thats why I changed the date so it does not overwrite the original settings before the epa got a hold of it and the dealer could not sell the pro anymore
Moose aka Glenn-

caulk04

Ok, so seeing as I updated/reprogrammed the VCI as prompted it would appear that I'm screwed on getting this file out of the bike. I called the dealer that did the 'dyno tune' (more on that...) and they said they don't keep dyno files that far back (was done 9-12-2013).

I'm contemplating whether or not to use the FP3 which I know I can save the existing file and play from there or to just load the 'base' tune for my setup from the Super Tuner. The dealer's invoice states a generic 3 hour bill to tune and only 10miles elapsed while in their possession which tells me that they just ran the base tune and verified that it was ok but made little to no changes.

What do you guys think, do I likely just have the base calibration in my bike? Should I just flash that in?

HV

Get a PV....you can extract the tune and do what ever you want with it...the new HD VCI is not going to let you do much of anything....and even if you get the Saved file in the VCI...its limited as to what you can do tune wise with the new HD Software
HV HTT Admin ..Ride Safe ...But Ride informed with HTT !!
Skype HV.HTT